When is the best time to pursue an MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salaam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been interested in combining degrees in public health and medicine for a long time. I am currently in the application cycle for medical school, but I am having doubts about whether or not it would be better to do the MPH before, during, or after medical school. The application cycle is treating me favorably (so far I have 5 interviews), and I really wouldn't like to go through this process over again if I get an acceptance. I've recently become interested in Columbia's accelerated MPH. If accepted into that, would it be a bad idea to defer medical school admission (assuming acceptance)? I've applied to several MD/MPH programs, but nevertheless I'm conflicted about the timeline.

So when's the best time for MPH? Before, during, or after MD?

Members don't see this ad.

I think a lot of that depends on you and what you want to use the MPH for. I think the only reason to get an MPH before medical school would be to help your chances to get into medical school if your goal is to be a MD with an MPH. Med school >>>> MPH school as far as difficulty getting in, so if you can get into med school, don't squander that opportunity.

As far as during medical school vs after, it depends again on how it fits into your plans. Doing it during medical school will prolong medical school a year in most instances (not sure if there are any 4 year MD/MPH programs). Then again, it will allow you to fully dedicate yourself to getting the MPH and maximize what you get outa it your MPH. If you do the MPH after medical school, there are several ways to go about it. I'm doing 2 years of research during my residency (surgery, somewhat common to do, was going to do it regardless of getting an MPH or not, so when the opportunity arose to get an MPH while doing the research, I jumped on it and will have the extra training and degree without sacrificing any time from my training other than the time I was already planning on sacrificing). Some fellowships have the MPH built into them as well (Reproductive Choice for example, many have an MPH built into it). Other programs that have built in time off (Neurosurgery has a built in 1 year at my program where they have to take off, one resident did an MPH during that year) and did it then. And some of my attendings (including my PI during my 2 years of research) are doing an MPH while being an attending, which is a very long way of doing it (since he can do about 1-2 classes a semester at most, whereas I have 4 this up coming fall). You gotta figure out what works best for you.

So when's the best time for MPH? Before, during, or after MD?

I agree with the upper poster that it really depends what you want your MPH for. Do you want to pursue a MPH because you are looking for a dedicated career in public health practice and preventive medicine? Or do you want to persue a MPH because of a side interest in public health? As noted above, there are medical specialties were getting a MPH is mandatory and built in the medical specialty's residency or fellowship curriculum. An example of these include:

-Preventive Medicine residencies and fellowships

-Aerospace Medicine residencies

-Occupational Medicine residencies

In all the above specialties, the resident or fellow MUST also complete coursework in the MPH program in the School of Medicine while they are a resident or fellow. That is in addition to his/her clinical residency or fellowship requirements. For example, I am currently doing a Preventive Medicine fellowship after I completed my Family Medicine residency. My Preventive Medicine fellowship is paying for my MPH program tuition at the School of Medicine were my fellowship is. I am both a medical fellow and a graduate student at the same time. My MPH classes and curriculum are "worked-in" into my fellowship curriculum, so I attend the MPH classes and do the MPH program's "field work" in between my clinical responsibilities seeing patients at the hospital and clinics.

I want a career that is at least 70% dedicated to pure public health medical practice in the federal government, and that is why the Preventive Medicine fellowship - MPH combo makes sence in my case. So if your residency or fellowship will require you to do a MPH anyway, then why do it during medical school? They will also be paying your MPH tuition for you, in addition to paying your salary as a resident or fellow!

But if you are not interested in a dedicated public health medical career, then you can get your MPH at anytime you like. In that case, I vote for doing a combined MD-MPH program.

Good Luck