When is the best time to take the practice NBMEs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GimmeTheScalpel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering how far out I should take the practice NBMEs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys just wondering how far out I should take the practice NBMEs?

Just depends on preference. My thought was that NBME exams help you assess your knowledge. So, why would I take an NBME if I haven't reviewed 75% of the material yet? It's a wasted opportunity. I bunched my exams together on the 2-3 weekends before my exam. Other people get nervous and want to make sure they've experienced an NBME early in the process, and take them at the beginning of dedicated during weekends. Your scores might be low at first, but don't freak out, you haven't reviewed everything yet.

Your choice.

Thanks a lot! My test is in less than a month and I'm trying to finish up Uworld 1st pass. Should I do a 2nd pass of Uworld or focus on NBMEs and First Aid while only reviewing Uworld mistakes? Goal is 240

Thanks a lot! My test is in less than a month and I'm trying to finish up Uworld 1st pass. Should I do a 2nd pass of Uworld or focus on NBMEs and First Aid while only reviewing Uworld mistakes? Goal is 240

The latter.

I never understood why people do a 2nd pass. Maybe it helps with retention. Maybe just redo questions you got wrong if you have the time. Also thoroughly review every question in the NBMEs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The latter.

I never understood why people do a 2nd pass. Maybe it helps with retention. Maybe just redo questions you got wrong if you have the time. Also thoroughly review every question in the NBMEs.

Couldn't agree more with you here Anti-PD1. Don't do a second pass of UWorld. If you have issues with content retention, there are better ways to make sure you learn what you need to learn from UWorld. NBMEs are your most important resource. Review every single question thoroughly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just depends on preference. My thought was that NBME exams help you assess your knowledge. So, why would I take an NBME if I haven't reviewed 75% of the material yet? It's a wasted opportunity. I bunched my exams together on the 2-3 weekends before my exam. Other people get nervous and want to make sure they've experienced an NBME early in the process, and take them at the beginning of dedicated during weekends. Your scores might be low at first, but don't freak out, you haven't reviewed everything yet.

Your choice.
Just to piggy back on this, how does one go about reviewing NBMEs? Do they give detailed feedback on every question after you finish the exam, like UWorld?

I am 5 weeks out from taking the real thing. Just did one NBME, and scored in the low 220. My goal is 240+, and I am now freaking out. Any chance to gain 20+ Points in 5 weeks?

Definitely doable! I had a 230 about 5 weeks out, ended up with a 262. It's all about how you study!

Thanks so much. This gives me hope. Do you mind sharing what your strategy was for your 5-week dedicated period? How did you approach your study to improve 30 points? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.