When is the first day that AMCAS can be submitted? 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Forssmann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the first day that AMCAS can be submitted? 2014

Members don't see this ad.

I was so bummed when I found this out! I thought you could start working on it whenever you wanted- so I was planning on getting a head start now. Oh well, just more work for later!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was so bummed when I found this out! I thought you could start working on it whenever you wanted- so I was planning on getting a head start now. Oh well, just more work for later!
The AMCAS opens very early, I think in May sometime, where you can start filling it out ahead of time. If you really wanted a head start, you can just look at this years AMCAS. The AMCAS really does not change all that much from year to year, and actually transfers some information over to the next year. It's definitely a good idea to get that stuff out of the way so you can submit as early as possible.

The AMCAS opens very early, I think in May sometime, where you can start filling it out ahead of time. If you really wanted a head start, you can just look at this years AMCAS. The AMCAS really does not change all that much from year to year, and actually transfers some information over to the next year. It's definitely a good idea to get that stuff out of the way so you can submit as early as possible.

May is pretty early- I guess I just wanted to be super, super proactive. I have already started to read the 90 page instructions so I think I should be prepared. I was mostly worried about getting my transcripts and letter or recommendation. But I plan to ask my letter writers soon and then I guess I will figure out the transcript thing later.

3 years ago it was june 1st, 2 years it was june 5th, and i think last year was also around june 5th. expect that to be your target

May is pretty early- I guess I just wanted to be super, super proactive. I have already started to read the 90 page instructions so I think I should be prepared. I was mostly worried about getting my transcripts and letter or recommendation. But I plan to ask my letter writers soon and then I guess I will figure out the transcript thing later.

things you can do now:
-get your letters of rec set up/in
-start reflecting about why you want to be a doctor and start writing down ideas for your personal statement
-make/get a record of how many hours you have for your activities
-save up $$ for apps

things you can do now:
-start reflecting about why you want to be a doctor and start writing down ideas for your personal statement
-save up $$ for apps

Thanks- this is very helpful! Haha yes not looking forward to all the application fees!! That is definitely a solid list of things to accomplish. As you can probably tell, I tend to get a little freaked out about things like this. I like to know exactly what to expect and get things done early. Tons of helpful info from everyone on this thread!

Reactions: 1 user

May is not early at all. Just about anyone who submits on the first day started prepping their app in early May.

things you can do now:
-save up $$ for apps

This is not necessarily a dealbreaker. AMCAS will process and verify your application before the letters arrive. The KEY thing is to send in those transcript requests ASAP so that they get there before June, so your spot in the queue doesn't get pushed back.

This is not necessarily a dealbreaker. AMCAS will process and verify your application before the letters arrive. The KEY thing is to send in those transcript requests ASAP so that they get there before June, so your spot in the queue doesn't get pushed back.

The transcript request is important, but you can't do that now. Getting letters set up now (not necessarily written) is a good thing. I know several people who asked for letters in April/May/June and were just sitting and waiting until August to get them submitted and have their applications marked complete. That's not necessarily late, but it is the peak of the cycle. The earlier the better. It's also good because what if you ask a prof in May for a letter and they decline? You need time to find someone else.

My letter got sent in mid-August. Only thing it delayed is when adcoms can start reviewing your file, but I was too busy writing secondaries.

Focus on :
1. Writing your AMCAS personal statement in spring.
2. Submit those transcript requests by end of April.
3. Start AMCAS application in early May.
4. Re-edit activities section countless times. Check your grade/course submissions against transcript x number of times.
5. Submit within 2 hours of AMCAS opening.

Profit.

Last edited:
My letter got sent in mid-August. Only thing it delayed is when adcoms can start reviewing your file, but I was too busy writing secondaries.

Focus on :
1. Writing your AMCAS personal statement in spring.
2. Submit those transcript requests by end of April.
3. Start AMCAS application in early May.
4. Re-edit activities section countless times. Check your grade/course submissions against transcript x number of times.
5. Submit within 2 hours of AMCAS opening.

Profit.
If we submit transcripts in april, does that mean our second semester grades of this year won't be factored in? or can we update them once we receive our final grades?

If we submit transcripts in april, does that mean our second semester grades of this year won't be factored in? or can we update them once we receive our final grades?

This is going to be school-specific and determined by when your instructors are expected to post grades.

Once you submit AMCAS, you can't really update the grades on AMCAS. This is where you have to really weigh the pros and cons. Key thing is AMCAS will put your submitted application into a queue. When they get to you on the queue, you don't want transcripts to delay verification. If you delay your transcript request, are you sure it will arrive by when they get to your application in the queue? It's a calculated gamble.

Even submitting after one hour of AMCAS's opening already puts you two weeks late. I was within two hours and verified just a few days before schools started sending secondaries.

Last year's cycle was a mess, a fluke, something that most likely (hopefully) won't happen again this year. They pushed back the submit date one week, and verification took forever starting from day 1.

Just take a look at the verification data from 2011-2012 and the beginning of 2012-2013:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...rom-app-submittal-to-amcas-validation.896313/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ication-submittal-to-amcas-validation.928300/

If you read about someone submitting day 1 and not getting verified for 2 weeks, they probably applied in 2013-2014 and that result is not the norm based on past years.