When Making a School List - KEEP IN MIND OF DRESS CODE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't mind leggings :rolleyes:

You might if you had to wear them and not just look at them. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
:confused: I actually looked up leggings on wikipedia and literally the first thing the entry says is, "Leggings are a type of skin-tight garment."

I mean I would agree that leggings fit tightly, but so do many of the jeans designed for women. For youngish women I would even say most jeans are designed to be skin-tight. I certainly haven't bought a pair of jeans that weren't meant to be skin-tight since I was a pre-teen. They're both pretty revealing of form in that sense, the difference being that (for me at least) leggings are way more comfortable.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean I would agree that leggings fit tightly, but so do many of the jeans designed for women. For youngish women I would even say most jeans are designed to be skin-tight. I certainly haven't bought a pair of jeans that weren't meant to be skin-tight since I was a pre-teen. They're both pretty revealing of form in that sense, the difference being that (for me at least) leggings are way more comfortable.

I don't feel comfortable in skin-tight jeans either. But then... leggings are skin-tight by definition and jeans aren't. You can easily buy jeans that aren't skinny cut. I would always feel 100% more comfortable in a pair of non-skinny cut, broken-in denim jeans than some flimsy leggings. What is comfortable about clothes that cling tightly to your body? That's like the opposite of comfort to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are MD schools that have dress codes????

I thought that this perversion was only at LECOM.

You're adult learners, for crying out loud!

Cleveland Clinic Lerner SOM has a dress code. So does Mayo.

I agree adult learners should be able to dress however they want, but on the other hand, a lot of professional jobs have dress codes, and it's not a huge stretch for professional schools to do the same.

The dress code obviously is an annoyance at my school, but it's more of a minor hassle than the deal breaker SDN makes it out to be.

related and sorry if it sounds ridiculous: when do medical students start wearing scrubs to campus? Do they do this at all? Is it weird to start doing that 1st year when its just book learning or not really?
We have to wear scrubs for omm and our clinical skills class. Only a few people change during the day so almost all of us wear them all day 2x/week

I agree about the deal breaking part. I'm far more against required lecture attendance.

Cleveland Clinic Lerner SOM has a dress code. So does Mayo.

I agree adult learners should be able to dress however they want, but on the other hand, a lot of professional jobs have dress codes, and it's not a huge stretch for professional schools to do the same.

The dress code obviously is an annoyance at my school, but it's more of a minor hassle than the deal breaker SDN makes it out to be.

Reactions: 2 users
I actually have a problem wearing sweatpants to school. That's why in my years of education, I have never wore sweatpants to school.
73818985.jpg

I don't mind leggings :rolleyes:
73818996.jpg

I gotta say, jeans are really comfy for me. One day I will be a real doc and have to give it up. Oh well. Scrubs are comfy too.

34 Heritage produces jeans that are very dressy. I have a pair of dark navy jeans with same-color stitching, and they have very similar visuals to navy khakis. They can be worn with dress shoes without any problem whatsoever. They are too casual for patient encounters, obviously, but nice when you want to go out in casual attire but still look dressed up.

Even at bars?
No bars keep selling, but there's no beer at gas stations etc. They only recently passed legislation to allow growler fill ups at bars so that's the only way to get take-home beer after 9

We have to wear scrubs for omm and our clinical skills class. Only a few people change during the day so almost all of us wear them all day 2x/week

Yeah that's different. If you're all in scrubs 2 days/week because of a lab or class, then obviously it's fine.

I don't feel comfortable in skin-tight jeans either. But then... leggings are skin-tight by definition and jeans aren't. You can easily buy jeans that aren't skinny cut. I would always feel 100% more comfortable in a pair of non-skinny cut, broken-in denim jeans than some flimsy leggings. What is comfortable about clothes that cling tightly to your body? That's like the opposite of comfort to me.

They contain spandex so are in no way uncomfortable because they're close to the body.

And yes, you don't need to buy skinny jeans and can go for the looser cuts, but I am gonna take one guess here and say they aren't designed nice and loose against your butt. I NEVER see anyone will jeans baggy in the butt area....except for guys, but guys having jeans tight up in there would be a bigger problem (but they make skinny jeans for men too :rolleyes:). Even "broken in" they have more give, but they're still not sagging down in the back.

Gonna continue to be uncomfortably distasteful in my "flimsy" leggings.

Reactions: 8 users
34 Heritage produces jeans that are very dressy. I have a pair of dark navy jeans with same-color stitching, and they have very similar visuals to navy khakis. They can be worn with dress shoes without any problem whatsoever. They are too casual for patient encounters, obviously, but nice when you want to go out in casual attire but still look dressed up.

Lol for like $200 a pair they better be the most comfortable and professional looking thing in my wardrobe.

Ours were 100% enforced- we had paper shorts of shame for anyone that showed up to OMM lab in jeans, and not dressing properly for a guest speaker would get you taken aside. The rest of the time was casual, but when you were supposed to dress a certain way, you sure as hell were expected to follow through.

This is enforced at my school as well. Dressed nicely for guest speakers, patient encounters (and SPs), and even sim lab, basically anytime you're wearing your white coat, you look nice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On the contrary, I would argue the opposite. Those who are comfortable are more relaxed and can maximize their performance. I took Step 1 looking like an actual hobo but was extremely comfortable, and ended up performing very well. Don't feel obligated to "dress for success" if you're one of those people who does better when you "Wal-Mart for all-star".
Seriously though. During finals=sweats always.
Or long johns underneath jeans if it's cold. Basically jeans that feel like sweatpants.

Lol for like $200 a pair they better be the most comfortable and professional looking thing in my wardrobe.

Oh, they would be indeed. I own a few pairs, and they are extremely soft and comfortable. One of my pants is as soft as cashmere almost. I usually wear suede or chromexcel dress shoes them. I believe you could even pull off monkstraps in a dressier leather with them.

$200 jeans though. They better be able to walk themselves to class on my behalf.
Now $200 shoes.... different story :whistle:

Reactions: 3 users
$200 jeans though. They better be able to walk themselves to class on my behalf.

Pfft. It's called getting them on sale. I managed to get them about $100 ea, but still worth it IMO.

Pfft. It's called getting them on sale. I managed to get them about $100 ea, but still worth it IMO.

As long as you feel that way, then it's awesome you got a great deal on them, but I'd never spend that much on a pair of jeans.

On the contrary, I would argue the opposite. Those who are comfortable are more relaxed and can maximize their performance. I took Step 1 looking like an actual hobo but was extremely comfortable, and ended up performing very well. Don't feel obligated to "dress for success" if you're one of those people who does better when you "Wal-Mart for all-star".
You can dress nice and comfortable.

Maybe instead of worrying about dress code you should worry about your 3.2 yards/carry and measly 4 TDs. You F*cked my fantasy season.

When I got to the 3.2 I thought you were about to refer to his GPA and tell him to worry about that instead, and I was like damn that man has a family

Reactions: 6 users
Where do you see dress code in MSAR? Examples of schools with dress code? Any high ranked ones?

When I got to the 3.2 I thought you were about to refer to his GPA and tell him to worry about that instead, and I was like damn that man has a family

Hahaha that would have been too savage.

Adidas ultraboosts are worth the money. the hype is real

I gotta say, jeans are really comfy for me. One day I will be a real doc and have to give it up. Oh well. Scrubs are comfy too.

Choose your specialty right and you can wear jeans all you want. I worked with a peds ED attending in med school who wore acid washed jeans and a polo to work.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd put on clown make up every day for class if it meant guaranteed acceptance. I aint picky.

Even in undergrad I tried to be mindful of how I dressed (maybe wore workout leggings during finals week). It would have felt so odd if I dressed kind of bummy when the professor is dressed professional. Most of them wore button ups and black pants, women were in interview style clothing (no jackets though). If they make the effort to look nice it's only right that we somewhat do the same in return? Especially if you're building a professional relationship with them and asking a LOR down the line. Personally I do agree that when I'm dressed nice I feel more confident which affects my mood during the week. Something as simple as jeans, a nice sweater and coat makes a difference in looking sharp (but being comfortable at the same time). I never understood how my classmates could come in PJs or sweats.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There is middle ground between professional dress and looking like a total slob.

If I couldn't wear say jeans and a thermal or sweatshirt to lecture/PBL/etc I would be pretty annoyed. That in itself would be a barrier to me going to lecture.

A nice pair of jeans lasts for years, is comfortable as ****, and doesn't fade with repeated washings nearly as much as the cheap stuff. I really miss having enough time to go out and buy nice casual stuff to wear.

If anyone wants a really comfortable pair of jeans, I recommend the Japaneese travelers from banana republic... They look really nice and have a nice elastic element to them. They are so comfortable, I can lounge on the couch in them and they are still insanely comfortable

You'd be surprised at how well their cheaper counterparts fare as well. I think guys are just used to their clothes being more expensive generally so $200 might seem normal for a single item of clothing.
I mean, a normal non-sale pair of jeans runs about 50-60 bucks, but tend to not hold their color well and are made of fairly rough denim. I made the switch to premium jeans because they last three times as long, fit much better, and hold their color infinitely better than most cheaper jeans. You really get what you pay for.

Pro-tip: sometimes I, a woman, just buy mens' jeans when I can only find cheap, flimsy, skinny jeans in the women's section. I get nice quality jeans and nobody knows the difference.

A nice pair of jeans lasts for years, is comfortable as ****, and doesn't fade with repeated washings nearly as much as the cheap stuff. I really miss having enough time to go out and buy nice casual stuff to wear.
I'll stick with pajama pants tyvm

If anyone wants a really comfortable pair of jeans, I recommend the Japaneese travelers from banana republic... They look really nice and have a nice elastic element to them. They are so comfortable, I can lounge on the couch in them and they are still insanely comfortable

I 100% agree. These jeans are by far the most comfortable pair of jeans I have ever owned (and better quality than some of the more expensive jeans too). If I'm not mistaken they retail for $130ish but can often be found for around $80 during random sales. I must say I regret not buying more pairs/patterns when I did and stocking up for life because they're honestly the softest jeans I've ever worn (given the choice between them and sweatpants, I'd choose them in a heartbeat).

TLDR - Traveler's Jeans from BR are a blessed product

Last edited by a moderator:
I 100% agree. These jeans are by far the most comfortable pair of jeans I have ever owned (and better quality than some of the more expensive jeans too). If I'm not mistaken they retail for $130ish but can often be found for around $80 during random sales. I must say I regret not buying more pairs/patterns when I did and stocking up for life because they're honestly the softest jeans I've ever worn (given the choice between them and sweatpants, I'd choose them in a heartbeat).

TLDR - Traveler's Jeans from BR are a blessed product

Yeah I think they retail around 120, I got a Black Friday sale for 55 and then got a 60% deal for opening one of their credit cards.. Best jeans ever

You might if you had to wear them and not just look at them. ;)

All my friends who are girls love wearing leggings, because they say that they're comfortable and are professional enough to wear to the workplace (unlike men's basketball shorts/sweatpants); they do not work in corporate America. Obviously, opinions vary, but it does seem like the majority of people find leggings to be comfortable.

In regards to this thread, I don't know of many big MD schools that enforce a dress code... aside from Mayo/Cleveland

All my friends who are girls love wearing leggings, because they say that they're comfortable and are professional enough to wear to the workplace (unlike men's basketball shorts/sweatpants); they do not work in corporate America. Obviously, opinions vary, but it does seem like the majority of people find leggings to be comfortable.

In regards to this thread, I don't know of many big MD schools that enforce a dress code... aside from Mayo/Cleveland

Well, I'm a girl and I think they're uncomfortable. Kinda like wearing very thick pantyhose all day. The stretchy aspect doesn't negate the extremely clingy aspect. Imagine for yourself, as a guy, if you would feel comfortable dressed like that. Stretchy fabric clingy to every inch of your lower body all day long. I just don't get where these girls are coming from. :shrug:

And they're not professional at all unless they're being worn under a nice skirt or dress. Under a nice, long sweater/tunic is maybe okay. But you can't wear them as pants on their own in the workplace because unless they're under something else, then they're exercise clothes or loungewear, exactly like men's basketball shorts or sweatpants. I was looking at the student handbooks of the schools I'm accepted at to see what kinds of dress codes they had for clinical years, and all of them specifically mentioned no leggings.

Sorry for being so rude to you earlier @toddgurley ... You're garbage time touchdown while trailing 42-0 helped me clinch my playoff game in the consolation bracket

Head coach just got fired. LOL. This is so embarassing.

I mean, a normal non-sale pair of jeans runs about 50-60 bucks, but tend to not hold their color well and are made of fairly rough denim. I made the switch to premium jeans because they last three times as long, fit much better, and hold their color infinitely better than most cheaper jeans. You really get what you pay for.

I've had the same three pairs of jeans for years. They cost between $25 and $35. They are still fine and look essentially the same as when I got them (one pair has faded a little, but that mofo has been around the world). Expensive jeans are overrated imho.

I've had the same three pairs of jeans for years. They cost between $25 and $35. They are still fine and look essentially the same as when I got them (one pair has faded a little, but that mofo has been around the world). Expensive jeans are overrated imho.
MY MAN. Get some Arizona jeans from Penny's and you're set

I used to think the same thing until I found the first pair I truly loved. It was like they'd made it from the fur of a thousand kittens, the fit was perfect, and the color was mint until the day I'd worn them into the ground.

I used to think the same thing until I found the first pair I truly loved. It was like they'd made it from the fur of a thousand kittens, the fit was perfect, and the color was mint until the day I'd worn them into the ground.

I've never felt that way about an article of clothing. It's just a shirt/pants/hat/etc.

I'm 100% of the opinion that there's a right way and a wrong way to wear leggings. I'll wear leggings all day. But if you can see the outline of my underwear... that's the wrong way.

Anyway, I just avoid this with jeggings. JEGGINGS ALWAYS. JEGGINGS FOR LIFE.

I dress like Patrick Bateman every day I go to class.