When roomates turn bad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USAF MD '05

Just another dumb ER doc.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check this out. Gives a new meaning to the warnings mom gave. I bet the ED doc had a good laugh at this one...Ouch!!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Damn, the fat kid's got a hell of an arm. Good throw, mate!

Am I wrong in the head because I found this funny? :laugh: What was cool was the victim's reaction:

*sigh* Now look what you've gone and done, Olly!" :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
see this is what i'm talking about. after my medical school training, i will not have to go to the hospital as i will be able to take the scissors out and suture myself right on up.

but back to the topic... how would you treat this intellectual gem?

also, isn't the radial nerve right there?

typeB-md said:
see this is what i'm talking about. after my medical school training, i will not have to go to the hospital as i will be able to take the scissors out and suture myself right on up.

but back to the topic... how would you treat this intellectual gem?

also, isn't the radial nerve right there?

Well a huge percentage of people with lacerations or penetrating trauma get them after doing stupid things, so I would ask him how he did it, and we'd probably have a laugh (if he seemed cool with it).

Medically you treat it by first obtaining an X-ray to make sure no part of the scissors got broken off inside. Then probe the wound (after some anesthetic). Assuming it just went through the skin and fatty tissue you could suture it up. If it's into the muscle layer or he has a neurological deficit it might be a good idea to get a plastic/hand surgeon involved.

GeneralVeers said:
Well a huge percentage of people with lacerations or penetrating trauma get them after doing stupid things, so I would ask him how he did it, and we'd probably have a laugh (if he seemed cool with it).

Medically you treat it by first obtaining an X-ray to make sure no part of the scissors got broken off inside. Then probe the wound (after some anesthetic). Assuming it just went through the skin and fatty tissue you could suture it up. If it's into the muscle layer or he has a neurological deficit it might be a good idea to get a plastic/hand surgeon involved.

good deal

"oh my F$$$$ng God!! there are Fing scissors in my Fing arm!

typeB-md said:

Apart from the fact that you need a medical license to obtain anesthetic, needles, antibiotics, or suture materials.

And x-rays.

You seem to overestimate the amount of training you get in medical school. Medical school rotations give you a cursory introduction to your role in the hospital and teaches you to speak the language. Training begins in residency.

'zilla

Doczilla said:
Apart from the fact that you need a medical license to obtain anesthetic, needles, antibiotics, or suture materials.

And x-rays.

You seem to overestimate the amount of training you get in medical school. Medical school rotations give you a cursory introduction to your role in the hospital and teaches you to speak the language. Training begins in residency.

'zilla
Quite so. One wise faculty member once put to me thusly:

Medical school is nothing but an extended vocabulary lesson from which you learn the language so that you may understand the people who will actually teach you medicine in residency.

(I paraphrase somewhat, but that's the gist of it.)

i like to live on the edge, you know. and i'll have buddies in the business that can get me the 'goods.'

and x-rays are overrated...they didn't have them back 200 years ago and they made out alright (i keeed, i keeeed).

and i know how we can solve this problem. I can come out to soCal and round with the sess'meister. learn the tricks of the trade, you know. Maybe go out and meet some ladies and surf a few waves. I'll bring my boards, you bring the babes. Then you can trust me and 'lend' me a few supplies in case i ever get myself in any kind of trouble.

Personally, I wouldn't have bothered with an x-ray on this little penetrating trauma. Essentially no chance that the scissors will break off inside the guy's arm, plus you can see pretty clearly that it's intact when you remove it.

The real question is: Do you sew up this puncture wound or not?

when i first saw the clip, i was like "DAMN, that sucks." then i showed the clip to a friend of mine, and he said the whole thing looked fake (ie, no blood, etc). now i am torn as to whether this clip is real or staged...

jkl said:
when i first saw the clip, i was like "DAMN, that sucks." then i showed the clip to a friend of mine, and he said the whole thing looked fake (ie, no blood, etc). now i am torn as to whether this clip is real or staged...
Anything can be staged with enough money, but it could easily be real. Embedded penetrating trauma tends not to bleed much if at all depending on how firmly lodged the weapon is and how it's shaped.

Members don't see this ad :)
But to the more important point... I laughed out loud when I saw that. Would that be inappropriate?

Yeeowch!! LOL. People crack me up.

Ok, I laughed out loud at the first one too, does that say anything about me as well?! I kept thinking: I shouldn't be laughing, but it was so funny !

Oh my god that is hilarious what a *****. But to the kids credit most parents tell their kids not to run with scissors they leave the throwing thing out.

Although funny, I think the video's a fake. For one, as any knife thrower can tell you, objects turn end-over-end - the chances that an unmeasured, random throw would embed in an object is anywhere from uncommon to remote. Secondly, we don't see it happen, even though this whole scene is, for some reason, being taped, and is evidently by a hand-held camera, which could easily be turned to see the scissors strike. Finally, for the object to hang freely and not fall out from its own weight, it would either have to be very deep, or attached to a deep structure - either of which would be incredibly painful, but the stuck person does not react at all as the scissors flop around.

Apollyon said:
Although funny, I think the video's a fake. For one, as any knife thrower can tell you, objects turn end-over-end - the chances that an unmeasured, random throw would embed in an object is anywhere from uncommon to remote. Secondly, we don't see it happen, even though this whole scene is, for some reason, being taped, and is evidently by a hand-held camera, which could easily be turned to see the scissors strike. Finally, for the object to hang freely and not fall out from its own weight, it would either have to be very deep, or attached to a deep structure - either of which would be incredibly painful, but the stuck person does not react at all as the scissors flop around.

I think it's totally real. They do look deep, and I think the kid is more in shock than in pain at first. I think if they were faking it, they would have staged a more bloody, elaborate reaction. Also notice the fat kid who throws them. The look of shock/suprise/guilt on his face is priceless, and too real to be a fake.
Steve