When should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kellyk12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN community! This is my first time posting on this website, and I have a question about the best time for me to apply.

Up until recently I switched from Pre Physical Therapy to Pre Med. Im finishing my first semester of junior year. I plan on taking the MCAT during the first week of September am I better off waiting till the next cycle (I think thats what its called im really new to this never talked to a pre med counselor or anything sorry) or should I just apply in September right when I get my MCAT score.

* I also planned on doing DO, not sure if I'd get into any MD programs. Im a URM if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

If you take the MCAT in September, you won't have a score until October, which is way too late to apply MD. You could throw in some DO apps at this point, but why disadvantage yourself? Why not take the MCAT in May or June and apply early/on time, both MD and DO?

Reactions: 1 user
If you take the MCAT in September, you won't have a score until October, which is way too late to apply MD. You could throw in some DO apps at this point, but why disadvantage yourself? Why not take the MCAT in May or June and apply early/on time, both MD and DO?

hi thanks for replying :) I would take it in May, but I thought I'd be better off studying the whole summer and taking it in september (probably getting a better grade) rather than studying for it while I'm in school.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi thanks for replying :) I would take it in May, but I thought I'd be better off studying the whole summer and taking it in september (probably getting a better grade) rather than studying for it while I'm in school.
Perhaps, but then I wouldn't recommend applying (at least not MD) in October.

Perhaps, but then I wouldn't recommend applying (at least not MD) in October.

Yeah you're right that makes sense I guess I'll just wait for the next application cycle. Thanks for your help tho!