When should I start applying for jobs-now (as a P4) or after I graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BetseyJohnson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to live in a different state after I graduate and will probably work retail. Would my time be better spent filling out job applications or studying for the Naplex/law exams? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking to live in a different state after I graduate and will probably work retail. Would my time be better spent filling out job applications or studying for the Naplex/law exams? Thanks!

If your school has a job fair, I would go to it and mention which state you are willing to relocate to so that this way they have your info on file. I interned as a student near my pharmacy school with CVS and they offered me a position to stay, but I too wanted to move out of state so I had to decline my offer. So around February I started applying and sending out my info to company recruiters (recruiters that work for the company CVS, Target, etc) but they all notified me to resend my info closer to graduation. So around graduation I resent all my CV, resumes, cover letters etc, but then I get emails from walgreens, cvs, and every retail pharmacy imaginable and they all tell me to resend my stuff after I pass the exam.

Okay so long story short, I sent my resume out again after I got my license number, and literally within hours (for Walgreens) and 3 days from CVS, I got offers. I think its easier to get offers after you get your license because honestly the company wants to hire you if they know that you are able to work immediately. So study for NAPLEX instead.

Also, I'm just really confused about how to go about applying for jobs as someone who hasn't graduated/gotten licensed yet. Can I respond to posted listings or just contact district managers directly regarding openings? With supply now greater than demand in many locations, do managers still look at hiring people prior to graduation? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I should be doing right now. Thanks, again!!

FutureDoc07, good luck with your job search and study prep!

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmaGirlie, thanks so much!! That is extremely helpful information! I shall definitely get to studying for that NAPLEX, so I can get licensed ASAP. I really appreciate your taking the time to share your story.

Also, I'm just really confused about how to go about applying for jobs as someone who hasn't graduated/gotten licensed yet. Can I respond to posted listings or just contact district managers directly regarding openings? With supply now greater than demand in many locations, do managers still look at hiring people prior to graduation? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I should be doing right now. Thanks, again!!

FutureDoc07, good luck with your job search and study prep!

I wouldnt recommend responding to the job listings you may see advertised because the company are looking for to fill the position now, rather than later. You still have like 7+ months till you probably get licensed. I mean you can apply for it, but most likely the company will decline your application. I know for hospitals especially they require an "active license" and from what i can tell with retail the same rules apply (if you dont work for the company already). If I were you, around the time you take the Naplex write an email to the company recruiter and state that you graduated and will take the NAPLEX soon therefore will have your license in accouple of weeks, just to give the company a heads up.