when should i start doing research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UOP123321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so should I start research my 1st semester my freshmen year or wait until sophomore year?
btw i don't have any lab experience yet, but i asked my chem professor, and he said that i can start doing research with him next week. And does doing a research with the department chair looks better than doing it with a regular professor ?
also, what type of research should i tried to get involved in..thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it now, don't pass up the opportunity. Some things you need to do to get a feel for what it is like anyway...and having research experience and the contacts that come with it may lead to some really excellent projects later.

I recommend doing it as soon as possible for a few reasons.

1. It allows you to know early on if you like research or not.
2. If you don't like it it allows you to stop early before classes get too hard
3. If you do like it, it allows you to do research for a longer time with a greater chance of getting published.
4. It lets you get to know a professor very well for a letter of rec.

I started my freshman year and I currently am a junior. I don't think it matters much who you research under but it helps researching under a dental professor if possible since they can try to pull some strings for you during admissions, something my professor has done in the past for a student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Start as soon as you can, the chem professor is fine. I'm not sure what you mean by what type but see what tasks are delegated to you initially and your job may expand over time in the lab.

I did research on my own and now I have my work just sitting there. I'm going to try and get it published in the undergraduate science journal.

Does having publications under ones name really stand out to dental schools when it comes time to apply?

One project focuses on study the percent of milk fat present in samples of milk

and the other one focuses the production (biosynthesis) of plant natural product ?
any advice or comment on any of the projects? which one do you think looks good on a dental school application

firstly, pick whichever one you're most interested in. passion -> success.

if you're equally interested, pick whichever one gets you the best chance of publishing and at the highest position possible (ie. 1st author over 2nd, 2nd over 3rd, etc.)

Another tip, depending on if you get it, try and find a lab that has work-study money and will pay you, too. Either way, the sooner the better so you can find out if you like it because you won't get much exposure in your coursework and definitely won't get authorship.

Find a mentor at your school that investigates a subject you think you might be interested in. Im going go put my money down your not going to even understand half of whats going on but it takes at least a year to train someone to be half decent researcher that can produce data independently. So start as early as you can

I wouldn't bother with research. Everybody and their mother has some kind of phony research these days.