When should i start my practice tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ari1584

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am retaking on april 17, and i am using berk review books. I want to order all the BR exams, and re-take the aamc exams. I was just wondering when i should start taking these exams, and which ones i should do first. I heard that re-taking the aamc's won't really give me a good projection of my score, since i probably remember a lot of the answers (esp in verbal). Also, should i take any MORE exams? i dont want to shell out $400 for BR and aamc and ANOTHER $200 for kaplan...that is VERY expensive. Maybe take any free ones i can get my hands on?

Also, with BR, i am now worried that since they only activate my account when my check clears, and after hearing the horror stories with their processing, i fear it will take forever and i wont be able to start taking these exams. Anyone have experience with their CBT ordering? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am retaking on april 17, and i am using berk review books. I want to order all the BR exams, and re-take the aamc exams. I was just wondering when i should start taking these exams, and which ones i should do first. I heard that re-taking the aamc's won't really give me a good projection of my score, since i probably remember a lot of the answers (esp in verbal). Also, should i take any MORE exams? i dont want to shell out $400 for BR and aamc and ANOTHER $200 for kaplan...that is VERY expensive. Maybe take any free ones i can get my hands on?

Also, with BR, i am now worried that since they only activate my account when my check clears, and after hearing the horror stories with their processing, i fear it will take forever and i wont be able to start taking these exams. Anyone have experience with their CBT ordering? Thanks :)

The Gold Standard CBTs are available on ebay for less than a hundred for all ten of them. They aren't the best (AAMC, of course, is the best) but they are decent tests especially for that price.

Do the new tests (whichever you get) primarily, sprinkle in your AAMC's if you want to retake them.

So if my test date is april 17, what date should i start my practice tests on? ideally i wanted two months of practice test taking, but i have been using berkeley review books for each area of content review and doing all the questions and it has taken me much longer than expected to finish all of them. I still have a chapter left in physics, one in gen chem, three in bio, and prob three in organic. And which practice tests should i start with? the aamc ones since i have already re-taken them, and save berkeley review tests for later? i am def needing some specific advice on this...i dont want to retake anymore :(

Hey so this is a good question. I would take pratice tests a month and half before your test date. This being because you could take tests and actually go over your problems that you got wrong. So you could review the test and take them. So you would probably want to do between 2-3 tests a week and a maximum of 3-4 tests a week. Also specific wise since you have taken AAMC already it is not a bad idea to go over them again if you have acess to them, also make sure you take the AAMC towards the end since they are like the real deal you want to get use the whole situation again. But also take other tests if you have access. Goodluck that is my two cents. :)