When should I submit applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody, thank-you for contributing to this amazing forum, lots of great info here.

O.k now seriously, I'm writting my MCAT this August and am wondering if I should wait until October (when the marks come out to apply). I mean there is no point in applying without my marks, since the med schools only look at a 'completed' application. So the question is: send it in before or after I get my MCAT scores?
and are there any schools who do NOT have rolling admission process?
thanx
D

Members don't see this ad.

Have you ever taken the MCATs?

Personally I would use the August MCATs as a head start. I took the Aug MCATS in 2000 and applied in the current (almost ending) 2001-2002 cycle. When I started the AMCAS last June, I had my final transcripts, MCAT scores, and LORs all done prior to even beginning the AMCAS. By November I was already accepted to med school. Thinking of delaying your app won't ensure you can't get into med school, but at the same time imagine your app arriving in October amongst all the thousands of applicants. The adcoms are now swamped with these essays, gpas, and mcats. It becomes a greater challenge to stand out.

The app process is arduous, try to have as many advantages as you can including time on your side.

Oldman's right. Do as much as you can now so that when you finally do get your scores, you'll be ready to submit. It might be a bit late in the cycle, but depending on what kind of applicant you are, you may have a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told by everyone to submit the application ASAP.

taking the august mcat for first time. already submitted amcas.

submit it soon! It's best to have EVERYTHING complete (including secondaries) when they get your scores so you can get interviews quickly. It takes a while for the application to be processed, so I recommend you get it over with as soon as you can so you don't have to worry about it.

Thanx foxy..... I think I'll start applying ASAP and for the MCAT marks leave blank (obviously) and in October they will get my scores, I think it's better that way too, at least it's outta the way.