When should I take Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooper

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to go into radiology and got a 239 on step I. I know that you don't have to release your step 2 scores but is there anyway that programs can find out you have taken the exam. I am trying to decide when to take step 2 and have heard advantages and disadvantages to taking it early. Any thoughts on my scenerio.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only a second year, but I have read that if you did well on step I (which you did), you are supposed to wait until a later date to take your step II because you only risk hurting your app with a poor score. If you did poorly on step I, then the recommendation is to take step II early to try to compensate for your score.

I would wait until interviews are over to take Step 2. The general consensus is pretty much what ckent stated above.

Even though it is true that you received a terrific score, a good score on Step 2 would be a great asset at some competitive programs. If you want to look at your score before you send it to the programs you should take Step 2 right after you submit your application to ERAS. That way they already have your Step 1 score and you can always update your application if you think that you would want to submit your Step 2 score.