When should I take the PCAT?? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessicamed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. Sorry for asking many questions, but I really need to know the info and advice from you guys. Here is some information about me: I decided to to switch major and so far I am done with all the GE stuff and I have Bio 1 and Chem 1 out of the way. I am planning on taking Chem 2 in the summer. When fall comes I am planning on taking Bio 2, Micro, and Organic 1. Then in spring I will take Orangic 2 and some other classes. I will be done with the pre-reqs by the end of spring semester. My question is, when should I take the PCAT? I would like to start pharmacy school in fall 2006. Is it reasonable for me to do so? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

jessicamed said:
Hi there. Sorry for asking many questions, but I really need to know the info and advice from you guys. Here is some information about me: I decided to to switch major and so far I am done with all the GE stuff and I have Bio 1 and Chem 1 out of the way. I am planning on taking Chem 2 in the summer. When fall comes I am planning on taking Bio 2, Micro, and Organic 1. Then in spring I will take Orangic 2 and some other classes. I will be done with the pre-reqs by the end of spring semester. My question is, when should I take the PCAT? I would like to start pharmacy school in fall 2006. Is it reasonable for me to do so? Thanks

Most people tend to apply one year before they plan to attend- that would be this Fall for you- and that may be too early to apply because as of this Fall you will still have a lot of pre-reqs to complete. When I applied this past Fall I was taking Orgo 2 and all I was missing was microecon. I had taken the PCAT in October. The schools may not like seeing that you have 4 or more pre-reqs to finish. Some schools do rolling admissions, so it hurts the later you apply in the year. Call the schools you are interested in and see how far done with the pre-reqs you should be. If they are cool with it- then you shoud take the PCAT this October or November.

I'm more in favor of you waiting to complete more of your pre-regs also. Besides what has been stated already, if you complete most of them before your pcats, then odds are, you'll score higher. Just ask around, a lot of people who take them early end up saying that they got a lower score because they haven't covered the material yet. I finished my 4 year undergrad and i believe i put myself in the best sitution to naturally get the best score that i can. Hope this helps.

jessicamed said:

I would definitely talk to your chosen schools and see what they suggest. I was in a similar situation to yours. I am taking bio 2 and orgo 2 right now as the last of my preqs, but my school does not do rolling admissions. They required me to have 3/4 chem courses done before applying and 2/3 bio courses. They did not start reviewing applications until after the fall grades were submitted. The school suggested that I take the PCAT in January, but I took it in October, since they (my school, specifically) only counts your highest score. This info is specific to my school, so I would reiterate that you should definitely talk to your chosen school. I would also suggest that, if at all possible, make an appointment with whoever is in charge of admissions and talk to them personally. I went in armed with a lot of info from the web, but there is no substitute for a face-to-face conversation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I'm in the exact same position but my question to you is, do you really need to know Organic on the pcat? I'll be in Organic I during the fall and I plan on taking the Pcat in october or november. Thanks.

Crazy_Norwegian said:
I would definitely talk to your chosen schools and see what they suggest. I was in a similar situation to yours. I am taking bio 2 and orgo 2 right now as the last of my preqs, but my school does not do rolling admissions. They required me to have 3/4 chem courses done before applying and 2/3 bio courses. They did not start reviewing applications until after the fall grades were submitted. The school suggested that I take the PCAT in January, but I took it in October, since they (my school, specifically) only counts your highest score. This info is specific to my school, so I would reiterate that you should definitely talk to your chosen school. I would also suggest that, if at all possible, make an appointment with whoever is in charge of admissions and talk to them personally. I went in armed with a lot of info from the web, but there is no substitute for a face-to-face conversation.

PharmEm said:
Hi everyone,
I'm in the exact same position but my question to you is, do you really need to know Organic on the pcat? I'll be in Organic I during the fall and I plan on taking the Pcat in october or november. Thanks.
Organic is on there but it is pretty basic. I took organic I in the fall of 2004 and took the PCAT for the first and only time in Oct 2004 and I did pretty good. You should do fine, and if you don't, you can always retake it. I wanted to know what it was like and how I would do; and since I'm impatient, I took it as soon as I could.

Given you have learned the following:

1. Organic chem nomenclature
2. Organic chem functional groups
3. Very basic reactions maybe, like substitutions.
4. Had a basic biology course.

Then, I believe you should take the PCAT ASAP, so that if you need to retake it, you still have time to do so.
You should also check with schools you are applying to to see what PCAT dates are acceptable for their schools.
E.g. I took the pcat in Jan, but Wisc in 2007 will require the critical thinking section (essay??) so if I don't get in in 2006 I'll have to retake it ...