When to apply for an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I am planning to take my MCAT on the 20th of July if my practice tests are sufficient. If they are not I will end up taking a gap year. I was curious when should I apply to different SMPs? Should I apply to them before this upcoming cycle is over? Depending on if I scored in the range Goro has advised me I will still be applying, I am a reinventor with a significant upward trend of the past three semesters (with my last semester of undergrad being this fall). I guess the main question is should I apply to both medical school and SMP just as a backup? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will be around 56 credits at the same GPA after next semester.

Don't take the MCAT if you plan to enroll in an SMP (depending on how long it is)

I only say this because your MCAT score is only valid for three years. So keep that in mind.

Also, hold on... you pursued over 38 credits of upper level sciences with a 3.89?!?!?!

Maybe take some more next semester and you won't even NEED an SMP!

Also, how many would you need to get your GPA above a 3.0? (to prevent screen out)

Reactions: 1 user
Don't take the MCAT if you plan to enroll in an SMP (depending on how long it is)

I only say this because your MCAT score is only valid for three years. So keep that in mind.

Also, hold on... you pursued over 38 credits of upper level sciences with a 3.89?!?!?!

Also, how many would you need to get your GPA above a 3.0? (to prevent screen out)

Yes. Currently I have 38 credit hours of upper level sciences at a 3.89 GPA and I have the fall semester left (which is going to be 18 credits most of which are upper level sciences). So after it I will be at 56 credit hours of upper level sciences. I would need way to many to bump my GPA over the 3.0 threshold. I have to many credits.

Also any SMP I enroll in will be a 1 year curriculum. Hopefully with some type of linkage.

You may not need one actually...

I still plan to apply this cycle as long as my July 20th MCAT goes well. Goro has advised me to go ahead and apply broadly to reinvention schools. If i do not get any love though I’m wondering if I should try for an SMP with linkage or just retake MCAT to apply again next cycle.

I still plan to apply this cycle as long as my July 20th MCAT goes well. Goro has advised me to go ahead and apply broadly to reinvention schools. If i do not get any love though I’m wondering if I should try for an SMP with linkage or just retake MCAT to apply again next cycle.

Ah. Yeah definitely apply. In my opinion, If you get no love this cycle, call and ask why (if they say it’s your GPA) then pursue an SMP :)

Ah. Yeah definitely apply. In my opinion, If you get no love this cycle, call and ask why (if they say it’s your GPA) then pursue an SMP :)

My thoughts precisely. As long as my MCAT goes well which is a gamble haha