When to apply for Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omutk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this upcoming cycle and wanted to know when I should start the application process for the Navy Scholarship. Also any tips and helpful info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

You should start ASAP. Call your local recuiter to get all the preliminary paperwork... there's a TON of stuff you have to get done and that's before they ask for 3-5 LOR's, references, and personal statements. I actually started a month ago but was DQed for childhood asthma :(. Make sure you get all your medical forms/records ready, b/c there's like a 200 question Y/N survey where they ask you a bunch of health-related questions.

Reactions: 1 user
You should start ASAP. Call your local recuiter to get all the preliminary paperwork... there's a TON of stuff you have to get done and that's before they ask for 3-5 LOR's, references, and personal statements. I actually started a month ago but was DQed for childhood asthma :(. Make sure you get all your medical forms/records ready, b/c there's like a 200 question Y/N survey where they ask you a bunch of health-related questions.
Really having asthma as a child mattered ? do you have it now still ? why would they care your there to be a dentist ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really having asthma as a child mattered ? do you have it now still ? why would they care your there to be a dentist ?
Apparently yeah. If they have to deploy you on a ship in the middle of the ocean or something, they don't want your health issues to jeopardize the mission or something... just my thought.

They're REALLY strict about health issues in general. There's the obvious ones like flat feet but you'd be surprised by a lot of things that can disqualify you. Have you talked to a recruiter or do you have any close friends/family in the military?

Apparently yeah. If they have to deploy you on a ship in the middle of the ocean or something, they don't want your health issues to jeopardize the mission or something... just my thought.

They're REALLY strict about health issues in general. There's the obvious ones like flat feet but you'd be surprised by a lot of things that can disqualify you. Have you talked to a recruiter or do you have any close friends/family in the military?

I do not. I was not even thinking about it too much because even though I am not in a relationship right now, I feel like being on a ship is a sure way to guarantee that if I do get in one it will have to end / or if i am not in one it will guarantee It stays that way on a ship in the middle of the ocean for the X amount of years I would be signed up for lol. I guess its a family life sacrifice trade off for a deletion of school debt.

I do not. I was not even thinking about it too much because even though I am not in a relationship right now, I feel like being on a ship is a sure way to guarantee that if I do get in one it will have to end / or if i am not in one it will guarantee It stays that way on a ship in the middle of the ocean for the X amount of years I would be signed up for lol. I guess its a family life sacrifice trade off for a deletion of school debt.
I see. Yeah, I've always been a military guy and wanted to serve a better purpose in life (my life is kinda sh*tty right now anyway) but frankly past health issues I have no control over are still health issues. Maybe I'll participate in helping out veterans or something :)

Reactions: 1 users
I see. Yeah, I've always been a military guy and wanted to serve a better purpose in life (my life is kinda sh*tty right now anyway) but frankly past health issues I have no control over are still health issues. Maybe I'll participate in helping out veterans or something :)

I as well have/had a minor health issue, that my dr assures me is no threat to a future career in dentistry, however I would like to know if it would disqualify me. Do you know if there's a number I can call and ask to make sure before I go through the lengthy application process?

I as well have/had a minor health issue, that my dr assures me is no threat to a future career in dentistry, however I would like to know if it would disqualify me. Do you know if there's a number I can call and ask to make sure before I go through the lengthy application process?

Find your nearest local recruiter https://www.navy.com/locator.html

Your recruiter will tell you all you need to go through the process. BTW when you contact them, it is nonbinding in that you are not obliged to serve (until you interview, get accepted, then pledge an oath) so don't be afraid to follow through with the process.

I started the process months ago. I've been moving through it slowly, but it takes a lot of time to get your application together.

If you have a DAT score of 22 or higher, you can submit your application in October before a dental school acceptance. Otherwise, you have to wait to submit after an acceptance, which would be December at the earliest.

Contact a recruiter as soon as possible. It takes a long time to get everything ready to submit. My recruiter is on top of things as well, which isn't always the case from what I've heard.

Reactions: 2 users
@redhotchiligochu they do medical waivers, not sure if they offered this to you or not already though! I know someone who didn't pass the navy eye test but got a waiver for the army and got the scholarship.

@redhotchiligochu they do medical waivers, not sure if they offered this to you or not already though! I know someone who didn't pass the navy eye test but got a waiver for the army and got the scholarship.

@redhotchiligochu did you get DQ'd after going through MEPS?

Not trying to be a DebbieDowner, but we are in a drawdown. Coupled With rising costs of school and the increase in applicants, waivers are not as common.
Keep in mind, this all happens in waves. If you really want to go military and get DQ'd, you can take out loans, go to school, and try to come in as a direct accession because the situation may be different in 4 years.

Go take a look at the military dentistry forum and there are tons of threads in there. Also I would ask @vellnueve since he is currently a Navy Dentist. He might blow you off though since he is learning how to rebuild faces now :whistle:

JK, congrats btw!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who didn't pass the navy eye test but got a waiver for the army and got the scholarship.

Navy eye test? There are specific ones for each branch?

@Incis0r No, I mean while doing MEPS with the navy, she failed the eye test, but the army gave her a medical waiver for it whereas the navy didn't. So she ended up still getting the scholarship with the army. Sorry that wasn't really clear!

This dentist I know served in the military for one year and developed some significant lower back pain and was honorably discharged. They are serious about being in tip top shape.

4 years paid for 1 year of service... He was happy to get out of the military and so was his wife, so those stringent health requirements worked out for him.

This dentist I know served in the military for one year and developed some significant lower back pain and was honorably discharged. They are serious about being in tip top shape.

4 years paid for 1 year of service... He was happy to get out of the military and so was his wife, so those stringent health requirements worked out for him.
That's different. Joining the military and staying in the military is different. This dentist must've been medically discharged, and now he is going to collect money from the government for the rest of his life.
This is the reason they are so strict with people joining as far as medical readiness, it's a liability for them otherwise.

That's different. Joining the military and staying in the military is different. This dentist must've been medically discharged, and now he is going to collect money from the government for the rest of his life.
This is the reason they are so strict with people joining as far as medical readiness, it's a liability for them otherwise.
Wait? so if I am in the milirary and have lower back pain and get medically discharged for having low back pain...... why would I get money for the rest of my life? I dont know how payments work so that's why i am asking. Also would getting discharged for having low back pain would that mean that my loan repayment would stop right there or would they let me go since its honorable discharge and not ask for money for the school loans they paid ?

Wait? so if I am in the milirary and have lower back pain and get medically discharged for having low back pain...... why would I get money for the rest of my life? I dont know how payments work so that's why i am asking. Also would getting discharged for having low back pain would that mean that my loan repayment would stop right there or would they let me go since its honorable discharge and not ask for money for the school loans they paid ?
Ok so I won't jump to conclusions, but based on how I read your post, it sounds like you're fishing for an easy paycheck.
Again, not judging or jumping to anything, but I'll ask you to read your own post again. I'm just saying what it SOUNDS like.
But to answer your question, if you come in healthy with no issues, but then you develop issues while in service you are entitled to Veterans compensation. They know how much money that means, so if you take $400K+ in HPSP, and after a year of service you suddenly have "medical problems," they lose that money, plus the govt. now has to compensate you for your service connected disability. With all that, you better believe they will scrutinize everything. They will be able to tell the difference between a legitimate service connected disability and someone just trying to weasel their way out of their obligation (again, not saying that's you, but believe me, there are people out there that have tried; they have no honor whatsoever). This is why they are so stringent with medical readiness as far as people joining.
As far as I'm concerned, I've been operational for a long time. My body has had a lot asked of it and it has taken a beating with multiple deployments. Now I'm in the process of getting a disability rating. So when I hear of people with BS "problems" getting a free paycheck forever, while simultaneously making it more difficult for people with legitimate service related issues, it really pisses me off.
Again, not jumping to conclusions with you or judging. I'm just interpreting what I read, and if I read wrong I apologize; I mean it.
If you have more questions, I'll be happy to answer.

I should have been more careful to not paint his situation as something fraudulent. If there is significant health problems, the military will pull you out. The doctor had to have surgery and other medical procedures, and I believe after those procedures he was no longer fit to serve.

Ok so I won't jump to conclusions, but based on how I read your post, it sounds like you're fishing for an easy paycheck.
Again, not judging or jumping to anything, but I'll ask you to read your own post again. I'm just saying what it SOUNDS like.
But to answer your question, if you come in healthy with no issues, but then you develop issues while in service you are entitled to Veterans compensation. They know how much money that means, so if you take $400K+ in HPSP, and after a year of service you suddenly have "medical problems," they lose that money, plus the govt. now has to compensate you for your service connected disability. With all that, you better believe they will scrutinize everything. They will be able to tell the difference between a legitimate service connected disability and someone just trying to weasel their way out of their obligation (again, not saying that's you, but believe me, there are people out there that have tried; they have no honor whatsoever). This is why they are so stringent with medical readiness as far as people joining.
As far as I'm concerned, I've been operational for a long time. My body has had a lot asked of it and it has taken a beating with multiple deployments. Now I'm in the process of getting a disability rating. So when I hear of people with BS "problems" getting a free paycheck forever, while simultaneously making it more difficult for people with legitimate service related issues, it really pisses me off.
Again, not jumping to conclusions with you or judging. I'm just interpreting what I read, and if I read wrong I apologize; I mean it.
If you have more questions, I'll be happy to answer.
Thanks for answering my questions and being kind lol And no, I was not hatching a scheme lol I really dont know how it works so I formatted the question as if it was me in the first person situation which unintentionally came off sounding like a "plan" lmao . Either way apparently I cant be in the military because as a child I had asthma (even though it went away) and apparently like the first person wrote, he got denied for having it as a child.

Either way apparently I cant be in the military because as a child I had asthma (even though it went away) and apparently like the first person wrote, he got denied for having it as a child.

Contrary to what many believe, a MEPS disqualification is not the end of your application.

You appeal to the Waiver Authority of the specific branch for a waiver, you establish a paper trail proving that you are fit for duty in the Dental Corps, and you will be fine.

And if the SG (Waiver Authority) of one branch (say Air Force) rejects you, you can still go through Army and Navy- The Army may waive things the Navy won't, and the same goes for the Air Force.

@redhotchiligochu - I really hope you continue your app- you'd be a great Officer and the DC needs people like you. Send me a PM (due to your privacy settings, I am unable to send you one) and I can give you some encouraging information.

Edited for accuracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Contrary to what many believe, a MEPS disqualification is not the end of your application.

You appeal to the Surgeon General of the specific branch for a waiver, you establish a paper trail proving that you are fit for duty in the Dental Corps, and you will be fine.

And if the SG of one branch (say Air Force) rejects you, you can still go through Army and Navy- The Army may waive things the Navy won't, and the same goes for the Air Force.

@redhotchiligochu - I really hope you continue your app- you'd be a great Officer and the DC needs people like you. Send me a PM (due to your privacy settings, I am unable to send you one) and I can give you some encouraging information.
Yeah good to know. My recruiter still opened her line of communication, I might actually give her a call sometime to see if there's other avenues. It's still early in the process so I may have some time.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for answering my questions and being kind lol And no, I was not hatching a scheme lol I really dont know how it works so I formatted the question as if it was me in the first person situation which unintentionally came off sounding like a "plan" lmao . Either way apparently I cant be in the military because as a child I had asthma (even though it went away) and apparently like the first person wrote, he got denied for having it as a child.
No worries brother, I understand. That's why I didn't accuse.
I'm sorry to hear you were DQ'd. But like @Incis0r says, there are other avenues. Also keep in mind the needs of the military. Currently we are in a drawdown, so the military actually needs less people. Dental school costs are rising so they are receiving more applications. It is becoming increasingly difficult to get a spot. Fortunately this is not permanent. This happens in highs and lows, and it is all dependent on geo-political situations. When the war was ramping up, waivers were handed out left and right. They were taking everyone they can get get. With the current reduction in force, they have enough applicants who currently meet the criteria for service that they don't need to hand out waivers.
If you truly want to serve, try again in a few years. Depending on recruiting goals, you may be able to come in after dental school as a direct accession. With that comes a nice hefty accession bonus that you can use to pay down your loans, which would more or less put you in the same spot: debt free.