When to apply medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelis1004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I am a senior and I applied to few medical schools but got rejected from all.:( I think it is because of my low MCAT score, so I am going to re-take it this coming June. Currently, I am applying to one year master program. Is it better to apply medical school this summer or after finishing post bacc master program? If i take MCAT this June, I am going to get my score back in July so if my score is good, I am thinking to apply medical school this summer. I think my science gpa is pretty good ( +3.6 ) and I already did lots of reserach and hospital volunteer. If I improve my MCAT score, would it matter if I apply to medical school before I start master program?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, everyone. I am a senior and I applied to few medical schools but got rejected from all.:( I think it is because of my low MCAT score, so I am going to re-take it this coming June. Currently, I am applying to one year master program. Is it better to apply medical school this summer or after finishing post bacc master program? If i take MCAT this June, I am going to get my score back in July so if my score is good, I am thinking to apply medical school this summer. I think my science gpa is pretty good ( +3.6 ) and I already did lots of reserach and hospital volunteer. If I improve my MCAT score, would it matter if I apply to medical school before I start master program?

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to SDN.

I think you answered your own question btw. If that's what you honestly think is best for you then go ahead and do it. My question, however is why you would take a 1 year Masters with a >3.6 sGPA? If your MCAT score is the problem (reading from your post) which I don't even know what your score really is, then you really need to just focus in and get a better score and apply early and broadly.

Masters programs (1 year) are generally meant to provide an intense curriculum of graduate or medical school type courses to improve an applicant's credentials to applying to medical/dental school. With over a 3.6 sGPA, I really don't see that as being a good option for you. I'd just spend more time on the MCAT if you think you can get a better score on it and work on expanding your CV.

Hi and welcome to SDN.

I think you answered your own question btw. If that's what you honestly think is best for you then go ahead and do it. My question, however is why you would take a 1 year Masters with a >3.6 sGPA? If your MCAT score is the problem (reading from your post) which I don't even know what your score really is, then you really need to just focus in and get a better score and apply early and broadly.

Masters programs (1 year) are generally meant to provide an intense curriculum of graduate or medical school type courses to improve an applicant's credentials to applying to medical/dental school. With over a 3.6 sGPA, I really don't see that as being a good option for you. I'd just spend more time on the MCAT if you think you can get a better score on it and work on expanding your CV.

Yeah. My MCAT was 30 which I am not proud of.. My goal is +35. Since this is my second time applying, I just want to make sure that I show some improvement (not just MCAT score but also my continous passion toward medicine) . I am applying for nutrition master program since I am interested in nutrition. but I am still not sure how much it will help me...

A 5 point jump on the MCAT is significant. There was not a problem with your application in the limited amount of information that you have provided that I can see. If you are truly interested in nutrition then that is fine, I was speaking more against the SMP oriented Masters in your case such as Mississippi Masters which is also 1 year. But if you are purely just looking to improve your application otherwise and demonstrate a continuous path towards medicine then look into expanding your CV by giving significant time to an inner city youth homeless clinic or a drug rehab center or taking an accelerated course to become an EMT-B so you can take a more interactive role during shadowing or experience ambulatory rounds in an ambulance. I mean there are tons of other options other than spending lots of money on a Masters that is not something that you will use in the future but if it's really what you enjoy doing then more power to you, you should do something that you like. On the same lines, I think Public Health is also a great option in getting an MPH but I would advise you as people have told me that it is better to get after you enter medical school between your 2nd and 3rd year.