When to Apply to Dental Schools while doing an SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental2016/21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I'm a bit confused about my dental application process right now. I'm current a senior in Biology and have already taken my DAT my junior year (2015). I also applied to dental schools the same summer as my DAT, and have been rejected. I am planning on re-applying again this summer after I graduate and wanted to also apply for a SMP.

The thing I don't get is, how does the SMP help me get accepted if Dental schools review my application way before I even complete a semester of my SMP? Ill have my AADSAS app submitted in June and some schools already review them by August.
Will the schools see on my AADSAS application that I'm doing an SMP and put me on hold, or how does it work?

I just hope I don't have to first complete my SMP and then apply to dental school, which means I'll have another gap year. If anyone could please clarify this and give me pointers on when I should be applying to dental schools and doing my SMP.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a section where you put your planned/in progress courses that you will be taking in the SMP. You can either wait untill you finish the SMP and the apply, or just apply now and then update your grades from Fall semster of SMP. Some schools might put you on hold untill they see your first semester grades, or some might make a decision without incorporating your grades from SMP at all. From my experience, most private schools are the ones that put you on hold.

Its all up to you whether you want to apply now or wait. What is your gpa? If it is over 3.1, then I would apply without the SMP and update after the first semester. If lower, then you might be wasting your money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

You have a section where you put your planned/in progress courses that you will be taking in the SMP. You can either wait untill you finish the SMP and the apply, or just apply now and then update your grades from Fall semster of SMP. Some schools might put you on hold untill they see your first semester grades, or some might make a decision without incorporating your grades from SMP at all. From my experience, most private schools are the ones that put you on hold.

Its all up to you whether you want to apply now or wait. What is your gpa? If it is over 3.1, then I would apply without the SMP and update after the first semester. If lower, then you might be wasting your money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

My gpa is 3.5 currently and will probably drop a bit after this semester. But I already applied once with this gpa and same DAT score and was rejected. So I thought an SMP would help me out the second time around.