When to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpduck

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a freshman biology major considering applying to dental school. When do people typically apply? I read people apply in their junior year, but you won't have taken all the classes needed for the DAT (such as physics) by that time. Thanks a lot for your help.
Donald

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'll let you know what I did and thus far it has worked for me (two acceptances on Dec 1 to the two schools I cared about). The earliest you can fill out the application is sometime in June. I filled it out online and submitted it on July 1st. It takes ADSAAS a long time, like 1-2 months to process the app and send it to schools. My app arrived in late August along with my rec's and grades to all the schools. You hear fairly quickly from the schools about what else they need from you. So by mid to late September I was done and began hearing about interviews. I interviewed in October and November. I interviewed at Tufts Nov. 1 and hear from them Dec. 1st. I interviewed at BU the monday before thanksgiving and heard from them Dec 1st (although they told me I was accepted during my interview which was nice). Those were my top two schools since I am from Boston and wish to go to school and practice there with my father. I also interviewed at Temple in October but haven't heard yet. My suggestion, fill out the application as soon as possible in June. Makes sure your rec's are sent early and be on top of any secondaries necessary.
As for the DAT, well you can take that whenever you feel ready. No phsyics on it, but if your a Bio major, an extra year of bio classes would be nice. I spent my summer studying and took it in mid August and had my scores sent to the schools-they got there about the same time my app did. The reason I did this was that I saw many premed kids cramming for the MCAT in April (i believe) while taking a full class load. I liked the time during the summer to prep. Even if you took it at the end of June or July your scores are still sure to arrive by the time your app gets there. Remember, most schools don't start processing apps til around Sept. 1, after orientation for the new incoming class. Hope this helps, if you have any questions email me at [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Do everything as early as you can. They start taking apps june 1st. Get yours done and in on June 1st before your senior year in college. I can't remember but I think I took the DAT around then and the scores just went directly to the schools.

everyone here is so on the ball! :)

I just wanted to say that even if you don't manage to fill everything out and have everything turned in by June 1st, you will be fine. I didn't submit to AADSAS until the second half of August and have heard back from a lot of schools. Now, if you want to save yourself from running around like a chicken with its head cut off, I wouldn't necessarily recommend waiting, but it's worked out for me. :)

ricegirl

I agree with what ricegirl said about how it isn't necessary to have everything done on June 1st. But the closer, the better. Especially if your stats aren't perfect (gpa/sci gpa 4.0, DAT 20+) the earlier you apply the better the outcome.
One thing that saved time for me was to have my application essay on "Why I wanted to be a Dentist" done way before June 1st. Also contacting professors for letters early is a good thing.
Good Luck!