When to ask for letter of rec & interfolio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillingpanda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going into my 3rd year and currently a research assistant in a psychology lab which equates to about 520 hours that I have done research since you have to commit to 10 hrs/week for one year .I am done with my year this month and I am debating whether to stay or not for another year (not sure if I have enough research experience & frankly it's pretty boring now since my coworkers have graduated). But if I do not, should I ask my current PI for a letter of rec right now even though I don't plan on applying to med school until after I graduate or maybe even after a gap year? And would interfolio allow me to save this letter until I apply in a few yrs?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm going into my 3rd year and currently a research assistant in a psychology lab which equates to about 520 hours that I have done research since you have to commit to 10 hrs/week for one year .I am done with my year this month and I am debating whether to stay or not for another year (not sure if I have enough research experience & frankly it's pretty boring now since my coworkers have graduated). But if I do not, should I ask my current PI for a letter of rec right now even though I don't plan on applying to med school until after I graduate or maybe even after a gap year? And would interfolio allow me to save this letter until I apply in a few yrs?

I think it's always best to ask for the letter to be written when your work is fresh in a person's mind. Interfolio will hang on to the letter, but you have to pay a yearly subscription fee to access it.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's always best to ask for the letter to be written when your work is fresh in a person's mind. Interfolio will hang on to the letter, but you have to pay a yearly subscription fee to access it.
The yearly subscription shouldn't be a problem. Also, do you think I should stick around for another year of research? I'll be stuck with another PI and I don't really think I would need two letters tbh. Plus it would free up my scheduling a bit for scribing