tinylilron

10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I know this may seem really early but I will be starting medical school in August 2014 and on-line it says to buy First Aid in my first few weeks of medical school. However, should I wait to buy First Aid 2015? I read that there may be some changes to USMLE 2015.

swoopyswoop

5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I disagree, I think getting FA early + unbinding it and using it to study alongside each class you have is a great idea from day 1 of med school. FA has normal anatomy, physio, micro, drugs, etc - so it doesn't need to be hidden until you start studying for boards. You'll be able to see the big picture (i.e. know what points from class you will need to know again for boards and what points are minutiae) + you will be very familiar with FA once you start studying for boards (with the newest edition).

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know this may seem really early but I will be starting medical school in August 2014 and on-line it says to buy First Aid in my first few weeks of medical school.
Yikes.

Whatever you are, be a good one
Sep 1, 2013
Earth
Status
Medical Student
I disagree.
People write in their first aid from day one of med school and once they actually need it for reviewing for the steps, they are distracted by the unnecessary writing.
It's a review book with high yield information in it. It should be used once u are done with ur basic science courses, or when u are trying to study for an NBME (if ur school uses those). Use ur text book and lecture notes during ur basic sciences and use FA once u r done with ur basic sciences.
Just my 2 cents.

bucks900

7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2011
Boston
Status
Medical Student
I disagree, I think getting FA early + unbinding it and using it to study alongside each class you have is a great idea from day 1 of med school. FA has normal anatomy, physio, micro, drugs, etc - so it doesn't need to be hidden until you start studying for boards. You'll be able to see the big picture (i.e. know what points from class you will need to know again for boards and what points are minutiae) + you will be very familiar with FA once you start studying for boards (with the newest edition).
I agree. If you are worried about money you can get a 2013 for a couple bucks on amazon now that the 2014 is out. If you have the time to use it, great. If not and it sits on your shelf then it's only a couple bucks. I think at the very least its nice to know which aspects you are learning in class are actually relevant to the boards.

Last edited:

Good Mans Armor

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
I concur with you. He could buy a used FA 2013 on ebay for $25 and use it. And get the newest edition for the boards.