When to buy PDA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Baron

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be starting my first year of dental school in the fall. I am just wondering whether I should wait until a couple of years in. I have heard that they can be quite helpful in the third year and beyond in both dental and medical school. So, I guess I am wondering if I can get a lot of use out of one my first couple of years. I am a bit of a gadget freak so I just want to get one now and start playing.

I am currently looking at the Palm T|X and the iPAQ hx2495 and am undecided. I like both of them from what I can see on the internet. I do not have much experience with PDAs. I have and old epoc and an old visor. The two are very different in that the palm has palm os 5.4 and the iPaq has Windows Mobile 5. I am not sure which is better in the health field. Also, the palm does not have a voice recorder. That might be useful in class, but I might never even use it (you guys would have to answer that one). I am really not sure what to do. I am going to the store today just to get first hand experience for myself. You can only learn so much about a device by reading. I was wondering if anyone has any good or bad experiences with either set up. I am not that conserned with the actual onboard memory because I plan to get a 2 gig memory card reguardless of which one I get. However, the processor of the Palm is slower, but I have also read that the WM5 can be unnecessarily needy in both memory and processor. The palm is about $100 cheaper. I am trying not to let the money be the deciding factor, but I still don't want to waste what little money I have.

I would also like to have the capability to play movies. I have read that both are perfectly suitable for this, but I am just a little concerned with the processor speed of the palm.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Interestingly enough, I just purchased the palm tx two days ago...picked it up on ebay for 200 and so far so good..
i've never used palm os before so it's new to me as well, but the unit itself is great...the processor speed seems up to tasks, and the media playback using third party players is fantastic. The player that comes built in isn't so great but if you do a little searching you'll find a lot of stuff..

It also has built in wi-fi and bluetooth, although I dont bt much the wi-fi definetly rocks.

the screen is nice and bright and the unit is very slim...the stylus feels very sturdy and is really nice to write with... a lot of medical based programs are avialable for the palm os..

I was originally going to go with a pocket pc based system only because I wanted to be able to use my slingbox on it, but in the end i went with the palm and so far i'm satisfied...it takes a little used to getting used to the os if you haven't used it before but it's not rocket science. And for 200 bucks you really can't beat it. I did purchase a factory refurb, but it was absolutely brand new when I got it...the plastic film was still on the unit and it was mint. A lot of people have purchased the refurb version of the tx and everyone I know has been extrememely happy with the condition...you really can't tell that it's been refurbed at all..

Hope that helps.

I dont know what the PDA requirements for Dental school are, but if they allow smartphones, i would go that route..

Im a total gadget freak.. have had 3 stand alone PDAs and while they were all cool, you tend to not want to carry it so it stays home and doesn't get used ater the first month or two...

I got a treo 650 in December and cant live with out it.. since it is your cell phone you have it with you everywhere you go, and therefore you use it..
I also use it as my MP3 player (with a 4gb sd card).. Ive had it for 8 months and can never go back to a normal phone... and being in dental school even more reason to have one..

Treos are consider the best package.. and you can get them in palm and Window Mobile versions... or if you want to save some $$ get a Treo 650..

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you try Palm Lifedrives ? Tons of features such as voice recorder, music and video player, Wifi internet, SMS with bluetooth phone ... I have used mine for almost 6 months now and can't leave home without it. I was able to convert most of my DVD collection into PDA format and store in few 4 gigs SD cards. You can find 4 gigs card on the internet for only $70 a piece. I was once able to watch 2 movies on the plane for about 5 hrs and still had 30% of battery juice.

Not technology is needed unless you enjoy it. You can check you email in the computer lab. right papers in word and play games on you laptop. PDAs are usless unless you like text messaging you GF every 5 minutes

germ said:
Not technology is needed unless you enjoy it. You can check you email in the computer lab. right papers in word and play games on you laptop. PDAs are usless unless you like text messaging you GF every 5 minutes

Agreed, but nyu has a requirment of a PDA for dental students....used for scheduling patients, epocrates, and other medical/dental related programs

Khurram said:
Agreed, but nyu has a requirment of a PDA for dental students....used for scheduling patients, epocrates, and other medical/dental related programs

Motorola Q comments anyone???

S Files said:
Motorola Q comments anyone???

My comments are, I wish I could have one but i'm on t-mobile :(
it's a fantastic device though, and i'm a very anti-motorolla person. I've messed around with a friends, the interface has been much improved over m's previous arachaic interface which I absolutley hated. Nice slim form factor, great screen, great processor, just wish they would get it on some other carriers...which I think will be happening by the end of this year.

To answer the OP's question, you should buy it a few months before you get into clinics. I never used mine the first two years but since I've been in clinics, I can't live without it. I would wait until just before clinics so you can have the latest technology instead of sitting on one while it becomes obsolete. I have one of the older iPaq's and it works fine but I've never had a Palm so I have no basis for comparison.

flat4 said:
To answer the OP's question, you should buy it a few months before you get into clinics. I never used mine the first two years but since I've been in clinics, I can't live without it. I would wait until just before clinics so you can have the latest technology instead of sitting on one while it becomes obsolete. I have one of the older iPaq's and it works fine but I've never had a Palm so I have no basis for comparison.
Thanks, this answers my question. I think I will wait at least until school starts, if I decide then that I would like to get one, then I will. By the time clinicals start, my fiance and I will be married and on a new phone plan together (I am currently on my parents). Maybe by that time the smart phones will be just as capable as the stand alone PDAs (I am sure that I will get some harassment for that statement).

I had a cell phone and a palm pilot and lugged both around the first year and a half of dental school. I then switched to the treo 650. (i think they have the 700 now) It is so nice to have ALL of my contact information in one place (ie "oh, that number is in my palm, when all i have is my cell phone). It makes it easier on your waistband when you are wearing scrubs in the clinic (plumber crack) less weight to pull your pants down. I have found it to be very handy. Especially when the time comes and you have to schedule patients.

Let me jump in here. I dont see how people live without a PDA. I use mine at least 10 times a day. I have a Dell Axim x30 and I love it. 4thQuarter post how you have to carry your PDA with you in order to make it useful, and I couldnt agree more. I have slim case and I carry it on my belt, which I highly recommend. I take a hit in the cool points area, but I cant stand to carry things in my pockets.

When it comes to using the calendaring programs for PDAs, I recommend a program called pocketbreeze. You can get it at handango.com. This is my all time favorite program because it puts appointments, tasks, notes, contacts, birthdays and anniversaries, and microsoft money all on your Today screen (the screen that comes on when you first turn it on). If you have a pocket pc, you should definately check it out.

I have 1gb card and listen to music all the time. I have tons of ebooks on my PDA which are pretty helpful. Check out yanceyware.com for good scripture resources. Destinator is a good program that works like mapquest, and when you plug in a gps it will give you driving directions. I also have Netters Flashcards on my PDA and it was really helpful for anatomy. I also have a scientific calculator, chess programs, sudoku, minesweeper, and a bunch of other stuff to distract me from doing homework.

As for internet stuff and emailing, I think PDA's are pretty useless in my opinion. I would rather use a desktop. But for all the other things that you can use a PDA for, they are priceless.

That's idiotic. I don't have a PDA, and I will never buy one. Does a PDA really simplify your life more than a small calendar book? Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't know any dental school that has more than 3 clinic sessions a day. 3 patients a day necessitates a PDA?

Frankly, when I see people with PDAs I think that they're just technology ****** who like neat gadgets to show off. Personally, a PDA would just complicate my life - i'd worry about it getting lost, or broken in my bag - not to mention having to charge it up all the time. I'm already worried enough about breaking my $800 loupes.

I'd like to add to my anti-technology rant by asking does anybody REALLY need a laptop?!! I see people with laptops everywhere - in coffee shops, in airports, waiting for the bus - what the f*ck are these people working on that's so damn important that they need it in front of themselves 24 hours a day? :thumbdown:

can someone suggest/recommend the mobile sf (palm os) useful for dentistry??

YOU ARE SOO RIGHT!!!

good post!SuperTrooper

I'd like to add to my anti-technology rant by asking does anybody REALLY need a laptop?!! I see people with laptops everywhere - in coffee shops, in airports, waiting for the bus - what the f*ck are these people working on that's so damn important that they need it in front of themselves 24 hours a day? :thumbdown:

Anyone who goes on an anti-technology rant on-line is something of an idiot themselves. PDAs are very handy little things. I am sure the technology purists out there said the same thing about cell phones when they came out. A PDA is a little computer that can fit in your pocket and take with you everywhere. Someone who cannot see the practical uses of that is crazy.

Because some ppl are making money out of it...it is just the "image" of beeing cool...but alone in the end.

good post!SuperTrooper

This sounds a little overly dramatic. Do you have a day planner? Do you have to remember lots of important information about the people you care about? Then a PDA can help you. Its that simple. I dont ignore my kid so that I can look cool doodling on my touch screen, but I do appreciate it when my PDA reminds me of one of my friends birthday or my parents anniversary.

That's idiotic. I don't have a PDA, and I will never buy one. Does a PDA really simplify your life more than a small calendar book? Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't know any dental school that has more than 3 clinic sessions a day. 3 patients a day necessitates a PDA?

Frankly, when I see people with PDAs I think that they're just technology ****** who like neat gadgets to show off. Personally, a PDA would just complicate my life - i'd worry about it getting lost, or broken in my bag - not to mention having to charge it up all the time. I'm already worried enough about breaking my $800 loupes.

Keep making quaker comments like this, I am reaping the rewards of free Temple lunch passes...

I second the vote for the PDA/Phone comment.

Treo is a nice model to start looking at. I would also hold off for a couple of years. Use a printed calender for the first two years and save pennies.

alright, here's my experience (so far). I've got like 2 or 3 PDS somewhere in my desk / in my room, and i never use them. Instead, I have a T-mobile MDA, which is a windows mobile media 5.0 device. I highly recommend something like this (treo, blackberry, etc.). You can store all u'r junk in there, and you can find MANY useful programs that will save you tons of time...while you are getting u'r science classes out of the way AND when u'r up in clinic (ex. lexi-comp drug guide, patients' chart numbers linked w/ phone numbers, etc.) Very helpful and handy. I actually have two phone lines...one for patients / school, and one for my social life...but that's a bit extreme in most people's opinion...lol

some of my friends swear bye the little calendar books that our school gives out each year, but to me, the PDA is much more efficient...i guess it just depends how technologicall inclined you are

just my $0.02...hope it helps :D

Keep making quaker comments like this, I am reaping the rewards of free Temple lunch passes...
Who's the bitter one? Everything is about (sucky) Temple with you.

Did you hear that story I mentioned in the pre-dent forum a couple o' weeks ago? I randomly met a girl while I was traveling for ThanksGiving. She's currently in optometry school because the only dental school she got into was temple, and she hated the school (& heard so many bad things about it). :laugh: :laugh: And i'm totally not making this up.

By the way, how is Brian Hahn's nutsack tasting these days?