when to do away rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eggsettera

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have actually googled and searched on these forums looking for advice on the best months to do ortho aways. Which months are fair game? which months have positives and negatives? ie, so and so month is a little late for a letter of rec, but it is a good month because of recency factor when it comes to program rank list.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Recently matched into DO ortho. I rotated from June through October. Each month had more and more students. Your proficiency of the material improves over each month, so by the end of all your rotations you should be performing your best in the later months. Would recommend putting the places you want to go to the most, as your later rotations (see above). Asking for LOR is usually not feasible, as typically you are not with specific attendings for enough time for them to accurately assess your skills (in my opinion). Would recommend having LORs already written by attendings at your home program prior to doing audition rotations.

Most DO programs interview Oct and Nov, so don't rotate after these months. For the MD world, would stagger all above mentioned dates by about 2 months. I think for MD the best months would be from July/Aug - Jan (can't say for certain as I wasn't in the MD match process). Thus, rotating in Jan would probably be the last month you would want to consider. Set up rotations early, and try to go to as many rotations as your school will allow. Gunning for ortho is a full commitment, and if you are on the fence with what field you want to go into, it would be my advice to have a heart-to-heart with yourself prior to diving in head first. Good luck.

Recently matched into DO ortho. I rotated from June through October. Each month had more and more students. Your proficiency of the material improves over each month, so by the end of all your rotations you should be performing your best in the later months. Would recommend putting the places you want to go to the most, as your later rotations (see above). Asking for LOR is usually not feasible, as typically you are not with specific attendings for enough time for them to accurately assess your skills (in my opinion). Would recommend having LORs already written by attendings at your home program prior to doing audition rotations.

Most DO programs interview Oct and Nov, so don't rotate after these months. For the MD world, would stagger all above mentioned dates by about 2 months. I think for MD the best months would be from July/Aug - Jan (can't say for certain as I wasn't in the MD match process). Thus, rotating in Jan would probably be the last month you would want to consider. Set up rotations early, and try to go to as many rotations as your school will allow. Gunning for ortho is a full commitment, and if you are on the fence with what field you want to go into, it would be my advice to have a heart-to-heart with yourself prior to diving in head first. Good luck.

thanks.

how bout from the md matchers? any advice, disagreement, agreements?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks.

how bout from the md matchers? any advice, disagreement, agreements?

I would say go from July until you're done. I did 3, so July, Aug, Sept, and had all my letters in by mid Oct.

Does ortho follow the general rule of having all your information in by Sept 1, or do most ortho programs wait on the MSPE?

Does ortho follow the general rule of having all your information in by Sept 1, or do most ortho programs wait on the MSPE?

They don't offer interviews until the MSPE is out, but I'd still get my information in asap. I had all my stuff (minus 1 letter) in by Sept 1st. But, I've always been of that mindset - "better safe than sorry."

From what Ive heard, you can't ask early enough for a letter of recommendation. I have two friends who almost went crazy due to having to wait on these letters....

Just wondering how do you approach the PD or chairman for a LOR during an away, especially if you haven't worked directly on their service? Do you schedule a meeting the first week of the away to sit down and discuss with them that you would like a LOR at the end of your four weeks (and try to meet again the last week)?

And what if you get stuck on services that aren't as rewarding for the rotating student (i.e. hand vs. adult reconstruction)? How do you make yourself standout in that situation?