when to do second look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenpistachio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it weird to schedule a second look in December? When do people usually do a 2nd look?

I think I will have a good idea of my top choices in the next few weeks. I was thinking of doing 2nd looks in December because 1) I'm completing all my interviews in December anyway 2) in January I have a rotation so I won't be able to take more than 2 or 3 days off. The farther locations will need at least 2 days probably.

Members don't see this ad.

The real question is why are you doing a second look?

I would only do them if you genuinely need the extra time/exposure to help you make your decision.

If you're only doing them because you think it will help your ranking, I'd re-evaluate your situation and be very sure that's the case. At many programs, they are very explicit that second looks will NOT help you get ranked highly. They also are a double-edged sword, because they may not help, but they can definitely hurt.

Anyways...if you really need to take second looks, I think December is probably a bit early. The administrative staff will still be bogged down in interview season, it's getting close to holidays and vacations so educational conferences may be on hold, etc. If there is such a thing as a "conventional" time to take second looks it would indeed be late January/early February.