When to request references before PTCAs opens up application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dai

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had a question regarding asking my current professor about sending in a reference letter to the PTCAs system. I am aware they PTCAs launches their 2016-2017 application in June -- however, I am nearly done with my junior semester and I would like my current professor to do a letter before the semester ends. If I ask him now, how would I go about having him send it to PTCAs if the application has not opened yet?

Members don't see this ad.

You will have to wait. If the system is not up, where would the letter go? You have no profile setup for the current cycle.

Hey!

You can always ask your professor to write the letter of recommendation and inform him that the PTCAS opens up on July 1st. Usually professors ask for a month or sometimes longer anyways. This will provide ample time for your professor to write your letter and then he/she can save it on the computer. Once the PTCAS opens, you can shoot an email to let him/her know.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would just try and let them know of a timeline of your application. Most professors (especially at the University of Houston--I'm a UH graduate) will already have knowledge of how the application process works. I can guarantee you that most of them will have a ton of LOR to write during the summer, but I would recommend keeping in contact with them throughout the summer. If you have any questions, let me know!

Good luck!

So when PTCAS opens, there would be a section for references.
There, you'll fill in their emails.
PTCAS will send a form for the reference to fill in with their comments of you.

Just tell them that you'll be applying soon,and if they can write you a "strong" LOR.
Tell them that once PTCAS app opens, they'll be receiving emails with following instructions.

Easy, but very confusing before you actually see it.

Goodluck!

So I had a question regarding asking my current professor about sending in a reference letter to the PTCAs system. I am aware they PTCAs launches their 2016-2017 application in June -- however, I am nearly done with my junior semester and I would like my current professor to do a letter before the semester ends. If I ask him now, how would I go about having him send it to PTCAs if the application has not opened yet?

You can ask your professor for a letter and he/she can write your letter now, but both you and your professor would have to wait before the letter can be sent; however, that doesn't mean you shouldn't ask your professor for a recommendation now. It's actually a good idea to let them know in advance that you'd like a letter so that they have time to write a good letter for you. The main thing is telling your professor when the application opens and when the deadline is. Some professors might also ask for a resume and ask some general questions about where you're applying to and why PT.

Also, I also had a few professors that won't write a letter until you have a grade for their class, no matter how early you ask them for a letter. So that's also something to consider if your professor is like that.

Wow, thanks for all the help! This was very informative. Thank you!