When to send an update letter/letter of interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Asking for clarity because I'm really clueless about the timing of these post-interview letters (e.g. update letters, letters of interest, letter of intent). I had an interview for a school about a week ago, and I want to show my interest for the school at an appropriate time (not too early but not too late). When would be an appropriate time to send the update letter, letter of interest, and/or letter of intent?

Members don't see this ad.

When you're on the waitlist, sometime in Spring.

Letters of intent are treated as Lies by most admissions Deans.

Updates need to be significant, and should only be sent to schools that accept them.

Reactions: 1 users

Updates need to be significant, and should only be sent to schools that accept them.
I have been complete at my schools for 8 weeks now, and have started a new volunteering experience since I submitted my secondaries. Would this warrant an update letter to the schools that accept them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been complete at my schools for 8 weeks now, and have started a new volunteering experience since I submitted my secondaries. Would this warrant an update letter to the schools that accept them?
Starting new endeavors is not worth an update, except at needy schools that explicitly say "we like updates", like Gtown or Jefferson.

Reactions: 1 users

Would it be better to send a letter of interest instead of a letter of intent then? (Even if the school I want to send the letter of intent to actually is my top choice)