When to send an update letter/letter of interest?

Apr 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Asking for clarity because I'm really clueless about the timing of these post-interview letters (e.g. update letters, letters of interest, letter of intent). I had an interview for a school about a week ago, and I want to show my interest for the school at an appropriate time (not too early but not too late). When would be an appropriate time to send the update letter, letter of interest, and/or letter of intent?

Mar 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
When you're on the waitlist, sometime in Spring.

Letters of intent are treated as Lies by most admissions Deans.

Updates need to be significant, and should only be sent to schools that accept them.
I have been complete at my schools for 8 weeks now, and have started a new volunteering experience since I submitted my secondaries. Would this warrant an update letter to the schools that accept them?

About the Ads

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I have been complete at my schools for 8 weeks now, and have started a new volunteering experience since I submitted my secondaries. Would this warrant an update letter to the schools that accept them?
Starting new endeavors is not worth an update, except at needy schools that explicitly say "we like updates", like Gtown or Jefferson.

Reactions: 1 users
Sep 30, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
When you're on the waitlist, sometime in Spring.

Letters of intent are treated as Lies by most admissions Deans.

Updates need to be significant, and should only be sent to schools that accept them.
Would it be better to send a letter of interest instead of a letter of intent then? (Even if the school I want to send the letter of intent to actually is my top choice)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads