When to send application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecloverdoc

Reaction score
I am currently scheduled to re-take my first MCAT of 505 on 8/1/2020. I have already finished my application for M.D. and D.O., but have held out on sending the application for M.D. due to my low MCAT score.

My situation was caused by COVID-19, as my original MCAT date was earlier. I am hesitant to send out my M.D. application right now, as I am afraid I will be instantly screened out before my re-taken MCAT is even looked at.

Does anyone have ideas on when I should hit the submit for my M.D. application? I am unsure if it will be too late to apply (hurts my chances), if I wait another 3 weeks for my re-taken MCAT score to be released.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean send in as in for verification or adding more schools?

If for verification, send in ASAP and include the intended date where allowed on the MCAT section

I'm sorry, I am unsure of the difference. Is submission (e.g. hitting submit and paying on AMCAS) just verification? Does this mean I can basically send in my application for verification now, and add schools later when I obtain my re-taken MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, I am unsure of the difference. Is submission (e.g. hitting submit and paying on AMCAS) just verification? Does this mean I can basically send in my application for verification now, and add schools later when I obtain my re-taken MCAT score?
You can apply to a single "throwaway" school to get the verification process underway while you await your second score. If you send the aps before the second score is available, you may well be rejected from your "real" schools before the second score arrives.

Reactions: 1 user
That sounds like a good plan then. I will first put in a "throwaway" school for my verification process. Then await my second MCAT score to be released and on file before proceeding to add on my actual intended choices for M.D. Then send my applications to those schools after.

Is this correct?

If so, thank you so much for your detailed responses.

P.S. that cat is beautiful

That sounds like a good plan then. I will first put in a "throwaway" school for my verification process. Then await my second MCAT score to be released and on file before proceeding to add on my actual intended choices for M.D. Then send my applications to those schools after.

Is this correct?

If so, thank you so much for your detailed responses.

That's a good plan. A good throwaway is either a school you would apply to regardless or never apply to (ie University of Washington if you're not WWAMI)

I appreciate the help again. I have submitted my application for verification. I will focus all of my attention now to preparing for a distinguishing score.

That's a good plan. A good throwaway is either a school you would apply to regardless or never apply to (ie University of Washington if you're not WWAMI)
Correction -- a throwaway is actually a school you would NEVER apply to, and NEVER one you would apply to anyway. Without a score, there should be no such thing as a school you would apply to anyway.

The whole idea is to avoid being a reapplicant in case there is a problem with the score. The more you want to attend the school, the less willing you should be to apply blind. In other words, it should always be UWashington if not WWAMI. Literally, it's an application you are throwing away in order to get verified, but never actually be complete. :)

Reactions: 1 users
The throwaway is a school you don't mind sending a donation to but are not interested in (or not a candidate for).

P.S. I don't know what I'd do without her in lock down! She's such good company.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Correction -- a throwaway is actually a school you would NEVER apply to, and NEVER one you would apply to anyway. Without a score, there should be no such thing as a school you would apply to anyway.

The whole idea is to avoid being a reapplicant in case there is a problem with the score. The more you want to attend the school, the less willing you should be to apply blind. In other words, it should always be UWashington if not WWAMI. Literally, it's an application you are throwing away in order to get verified, but never actually be complete. :)
I understand that line of thinking, but if you know you will apply to a school regardless of score the that could function as well (ie my state school that I have a lot of connections too). You shouldn’t consider applying if you haven’t reached your goal scores consistently so that’s why I would slightly disagree

I understand that line of thinking, but if you know you will apply to a school regardless of score the that could function as well (ie my state school that I have a lot of connections too). You shouldn’t consider applying if you haven’t reached your goal scores consistently so that’s why I would slightly disagree
I used to think the same thing until I was corrected by multiple adcoms. They are right.

If you check out the MCAT threads, either here or on reddit, you will find a ton of examples of people being being shocked after they get their scores from the real thing. It's not likely, but it happens way more than you'd think (which is never!).

It's just safer not to screw around with a school you care about. Throwaway is just that, a throwaway. It's way better to be a few weeks late than to take any chances with a school you care about. Not my rule, but it makes all the sense in the world. :)