When to send DO's Rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms.DNA

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe you guys can help me. I will be officially asking the DO that I have been shadowing for a rec this week. Is he supposed to send it only to the schools that I receive secondaries from or all of them? I'm a bit confused about the order here. Thanks!!! Also, am I in good shape if I get my aacoma's ap. in by the 15th of June? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Ms. DNA,

If you have a letter of recommendation (committee letter) service, then I suggest you ask the D.O. to send it through them....

If you don't have a letter or recommendation service, then I suggest you might want to wait for the secondaries. The reason is that most secondaries will accompany an "evaluation of applicant" in there that is specifically for an osteopathic physician and others.... Once you receive those secondaries, you can give those to the letter writter and waive your rights to see the recommendation. Then the letter writter would then send it to the appropriate school.

My personaly experience is that I had a letter service that collected all of my recommendations waiving my rights to see them.... That service then sends all of my letters as well as an additional committee letter.... Oh, I have to tell them where and when to send it.

As for applying on June 15... it's definitely NOT late.... You just go ahead and do that.... IMHO!!!

How well do you know the D.O.? Do you think he/she will remember you still if you don't ask for a recommendation till the secondaries arrive?

Another suggestion is to ask him/her to write a letter of recommendation to you already, save it for you, then come secondary time ask him/her to fill in the "evaluation of applicant" then attach the letter that he/she wrote to you....

Well, that's it for you.... please post up more questions if you have any, or if I'm not to clear with my suggestions....

:cool:

Ms. DNA,

I agree with Popoy. As far as your DO rec. goes, try to send it through committee if you are going through one. If not, then give the DO adresses and stamped envelopes to schools you want him to send letters to.

On a different note. Are you sure he'll write a great letter for you?

Thanks for the advice. I read for PCOM that the DO letter NOT be included with the committee letter, that is why I got confussed. I think I will ask him and then when I receive the secondaries, provide him with the information. I just want to know what I'm talking about when I ask. I may call the schools and ask which they prefer. :)