When to send update letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seagerco1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’ve been turning in secondaries since early June and turned my last one in ~2 weeks ago. Of course since that time, I’ve received two 3rd author pubs, had two presentations accepted at a medical conference and have began reviewing manuscripts in a medical journal.

I don’t expect any new updates in the near future with the exception of abstract decisions for more conferences come October/November.

Should I submit updates to schools now? Or is it too soon and I should wait? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the strong research results! Are your pubs available online with a DOI? When they are, I think you should write a doc with the DOI/PMID link of each included with a citation (e.g. “online ahead of print”). Cite your abstracts as well (are you presenting them? Note that if so).

Depending on how much space you have for updates, you can include abstracts for the manuscripts too. Definitely don’t send the entire pdf of a manuscript. Others may provide better advice.

Best of luck!

edit: you’ll still be “early” updating before Labor Day, so I’m thinking in couldn’t hurt? Not an adcom though so huge grain of salt for my opinion here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn @Faha @Goro
Hello! Do you have any input? Is it “too soon” for update letters? Thank you!!
I'm not an adcom, but I think you should send an update whenever it is that you happen to have something significant that you want to get in front of them. Do you really want to risk being placed in the reject pile if an anonymous adcom on SDN opines that it's too soon to send an update?