When to send updates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmarathoner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've had one interview so far, and a whole handful of rejections. I am on the quarter system and got a great GPA this quarter which raised my overall and sGPA, and a paper I contributed to was just published.

Is this something worth sending an update to schools? I don't want to be irritating but at this point if I'm not getting interviews anyway, I don't feel like there's much to lose.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had one interview so far, and a whole handful of rejections. I am on the quarter system and got a great GPA this quarter which raised my overall and sGPA, and a paper I contributed to was just published.

Is this something worth sending an update to schools? I don't want to be irritating but at this point if I'm not getting interviews anyway, I don't feel like there's much to lose.
New grades that are excellent are worth reporting on. So is co-authorship of an accepted manuscript. An acknowledgement, however, is not worth mentioning. It wasn't clear from what you wrote exactly how your contribution to the paper was recognized.

Reactions: 2 users
New grades that are excellent are worth reporting on. So is co-authorship of an accepted manuscript. An acknowledgement, however, is not worth mentioning. It wasn't clear from what you wrote exactly how your contribution to the paper was recognized.
It was co-authorship. Thanks so much.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm gonna do the thing I like to do where I jump onto a thread the advice-givers have visited already and ask a somewhat-related question.

So I see everyone talking about updates right now, but apart from a couple of initiatives at an ongoing volunteering gig, I don't have anything else new (haven't gotten any papers at work yet which I was led to believe we would have worked on by now) and I feel like I don't really have anything substantial for an update. So my question is - are updates actually necessary? Like will it look bad/hurt my application that I don't have an update? Obviously I wouldn't want to send in anything unless it is substantial. I'm mostly afraid about the research-heavy programs I've applied to and schools like BU that seem to want updates. Coworkers keep saying I will get papers but I don't know if any will come in time for decision days. Any thoughts appreciated :)

I'm gonna do the thing I like to do where I jump onto a thread the advice-givers have visited already and ask a somewhat-related question.

So I see everyone talking about updates right now, but apart from a couple of initiatives at an ongoing volunteering gig, I don't have anything else new (haven't gotten any papers at work yet which I was led to believe we would have worked on by now) and I feel like I don't really have anything substantial for an update. So my question is - are updates actually necessary? Like will it look bad/hurt my application that I don't have an update? Obviously I wouldn't want to send in anything unless it is substantial. I'm mostly afraid about the research-heavy programs I've applied to and schools like BU that seem to want updates. Coworkers keep saying I will get papers but I don't know if any will come in time for decision days. Any thoughts appreciated :)
In the same position and wondering the same thing if anyone has advice.

So my question is - are updates actually necessary?

Perhaps there is a divergence of opinion here, but I see about 99.8% of updates as a waste of everyone's time. Their primary accomplishments are adding more anxiety about how to write them and what to include, and further cluttering up our servers. There is virtually nothing that anyone can do in the months between AMCAS submission and now that will move the needle on their application. Unfortunately this appears to have turned into the latest leg of the premedical arms race.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like I don't really have anything substantial for an update. So my question is - are updates actually necessary? Like will it look bad/hurt my application that I don't have an update? Obviously I wouldn't want to send in anything unless it is substantial. I'm mostly afraid about the research-heavy programs I've applied to and schools like BU that seem to want updates.
You need to know your audience. Some schools actively solicit updates. If you have none they could still be sent a statement of continued interest in their program. For most schools, updates aren't necessary, especially if you had a solid application initially. For others, it might be helpful to let them know if you are actively filling in an important element missing from the primary.

I'm waiting post-interview on a few decisions. In January, I submitted a paper as first-author to the journal or neurosurg but I haven't heard back from the reviewers yet... Decisions from my top-choice come out in March. I know you generally only send accepted manuscripts as updates, but would I be able to send the submission or should I just wait?
Just wait.

Reactions: 1 users