When to start making a back up plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letmeinpls828

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a current applicant who would appreciate some advice! I knew I wanted to stay in my region so I only applied to 5 MD schools. I have been rejected by one and haven't received IIs from two. I interviewed at one on November 10th and haven't heard back and interviewed at another on December 1st and haven't heard anything. I have a 3.85 cGPA and a 3.77 sGPA and got a 508 on MCAT and have lots of shadowing hours, good amount of research, and a good amount of volunteering/extracurriculars. I thought my interviews went well. I am a nonURM and traditional applicant- graduating in May, but I am female. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on when I should start making plans for a gap year? This waiting is excruciating and I want to keep the faith alive but I don't want to be out of options for next year. Thanks for any and all advice you have!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you have a good chance, but you should start preparing now.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I am a current applicant who would appreciate some advice! I knew I wanted to stay in my region so I only applied to 5 MD schools. I have been rejected by one and haven't received IIs from two. I interviewed at one on November 10th and haven't heard back and interviewed at another on December 1st and haven't heard anything. I have a 3.85 cGPA and a 3.77 sGPA and got a 508 on MCAT and have lots of shadowing hours, good amount of research, and a good amount of volunteering/extracurriculars. I thought my interviews went well. I am a nonURM and traditional applicant- graduating in May, but I am female. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on when I should start making plans for a gap year? This waiting is excruciating and I want to keep the faith alive but I don't want to be out of options for next year. Thanks for any and all advice you have!

I think you’ll be okay OP, but consider finding employment scribing or lab work, really whatever you can get that will add to your experience. GPAs are great, mcat is kind of in that not worthy of a retake zone so I wouldn’t bother. Just apply early and more broadly next time if need be.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should have had Plan B ready to go when you sent in your apps, as should all SFNers, until they have that accept email in the Inbox.

For starters, have more schools on your list for the next time you apply. Include nay DO schools (if you didn't) and they are local.

Find out in the school-specific forum if wait-list hell is typical for the two schools you interviewed at.

Reactions: 4 users
Second what @Goro said. You should already have a plan B. Best of luck!

Since the day you decide you want to go to med school.