medstu2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2005
Status
I was just wondering when how students divide up their 1 hr breaks. i know it'll differ from person to person. Please share ur test experiences.

After how many blocks, did ull take lunch?

OP
M

medstu2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2005
Status
5-10 min every block

I also took about 45 min for lunch/walk around the neighborhood

For this much time you would need to finish blocks early.
after what block did u take lunch? im assuming most take lunch after block 4?

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
after what block did u take lunch?

i didn't eat much during my exam.. i ate half a sandwich, an apple, and a granola bar. I would eat whenever i felt hungry. during the other breaks i would drink a red bull or a starbucks double shot espresso drink or water.

tfom08

10+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
What is the deal with breaks, anyway? 7 blocks in 8 hours and you can split up the hour in any way you decide? And if you finish blocks early you can add that to your break time?

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
What is the deal with breaks, anyway? 7 blocks in 8 hours and you can split up the hour in any way you decide? And if you finish blocks early you can add that to your break time?

that's exactly correct.. however you have to skip through the 15min tutorial at the beginning if you want the full hour...

DocKat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
Status
This might be a stupid question...but how does the computer keep track of your break time if you are dividing it up however you want? So is there basically a timer that counts up to one hour between blocks? What happens if you go over? Sorry but I'm a little confused :idea:

DwyaneWade

Reiging *** Cynic
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
NC
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was thinking that for breaks I would take a 15 min break every 2 blocks, and then a 30-45 min break for lunch. At least on the practice NBMEs and in UW I start really getting tired after back-to-back blocks.

doc20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2007
Cleveland
Status
Attending Physician
do not go for 2 blocks straight, even though you feel all energetic at the end of 1st block caus usually people get tired towards the end of the 2nd block ,
no matter what always take atleast a 2 minutes break and recharge yourself, get out of the chair and the room and take a walk and hydrate yourself, you dont wanna get a DVT either sitting there all day lol

OP
M

medstu2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2005
Status
do not go for 2 blocks straight, even though you feel all energetic at the end of 1st block caus usually people get tired towards the end of the 2nd block ,
no matter what always take atleast a 2 minutes break and recharge yourself, get out of the chair and the room and take a walk and hydrate yourself, you dont wanna get a DVT either sitting there all day lol
Ok. makes sense. I was thinking about going for 4 blocks, taking a 45 min break and then break every block. But it sunds silly about doing 4 blocks straight.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
This might be a stupid question...but how does the computer keep track of your break time if you are dividing it up however you want? So is there basically a timer that counts up to one hour between blocks? What happens if you go over? Sorry but I'm a little confused :idea:
Yes, there is a timer that runs between blocks. If you go over you lose time for the actual exam. Don't go over.

Truth of the matter is that if you keep blocks brief and after every couple of blocks, you will have ample time to clear your head, wolf down food and beverage, AND get out of there early. I personally found that my mind turned to mush toward the end, and so every minute earlier I got out of there, the better. So I personally suggest, a quick walk outside, wolf down food, bathroom break and get right back in there after every couple of blocks. A formal long lunch break (at the expense of being done a half hour early) made no sense to me.

InternationlDoc

Imported like a Ferrari
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
guys

Quick question: what are you guys doing now to get your timing right? are you guys taking 4 straight blocks of Qbank or Uworld to simulate real test timing? any other advice on how to practice taking 350 questions real exam?

I was thinking about usign 350 usmle world questions every weekend ( I have 3 weekends before the test) as simulation and ofcourse the NBMEs (untimed, but timing myself); but for NBMEs would it be good idea to do lets say NBME 4 and 5 back to back to really simulate the test?