When to take COMLEX step II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPFL75

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
any input will be greatly appreciated thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I agree to take it early. I did well on Part I and lots of those who did in my class, opted to wait and take Part II this month. I figured that it would be better to get it out of the way, post a good score, and not have to study for another exam for the rest of my 4th year. I believe the mentality to wait is to avoid posting a lower Part II than Part I score and hurt your matching chances. If you are a confident test taker, take it early.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the COMLEX next week. The reason for this because the NBOME is a few decades behind and have not offered it on the computer. Althought they still charge a ridiculous fee. Because of this, it is offered only twice per year. I did my sub-intership first (july) then did 3 electives away at hospitals where I was interested in doing a residency. With this, my only option was to take the january exam. I did take the USMLE in November which I did very well on, (this helps when programs make there rank list). This strategy worked for me because I got my top residency choice. Now I will be sitting for a meaningless test. Just need to pass.

If you did well on step one, then take it late because then the results will not be seen by res programs. If you did poorly then study hard for step two and take it early. If you want a competitive program like orthopedics or ophtho in the allopathic world, my advice is take USMLE II early (as well as I) and do well-competitive allopathic programs typically want both sets of scores.