When to take Step 2 CK to be more competitive (subpar Step 1)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxabi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, need some advice on when to take Step 2 CK. I know most of the comments on this forum recommend holding off on taking Step 2 until after interviews to avoid risky a low score, but my Step 1 was a 238, which is on the lower side. That being said, I am confident I can do well on Step 2, and I know my 238 may prevent me from getting interviews at schools with a 240 cut off, so figured the best thing to do was take Step 2 during the fall? Any advice on when the best time would be to allow me maximum study time to do well but also not run into the early application timeline and aways? My school has been unhelpful for early match, so I appreciate the help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that if you don't have other strong points of your application like above average research, AOA, etc then I'd take CK earlier and shoot to improve on your score. You can always check out this years google doc to see how many interviews people in your score range received and if they took Step 2 CK.

There's nothing wrong with taking it earlier so it's available for interviews.

That being said, 238 is not a bad score. I don't think it would screen you out of many places.