When to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenbean

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
im currently doing a prelim in medicine, i was planning on taking this test in 4-5 mos from now, i figured that i would get some experience on the wards and unit to help me clinical decision making prior to the test, and not take toomuch time b4 i forget everything i learn in med school(ob peds, surgery) ..is this typically what most do?

also, what do most people study when they prepare ? crush step 3? sorry if these questions are too basic, but i wanted to hear what the consensus was here, keep in mind i would like to pass comfortably, im not trying to kill this thing

peace,
green

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to take this exam at some point in your PGY-1 year. Ward work isn't critically important as once you have finished your third-year medicine clerkship, you are probably the most prepared for USMLE Step III. The single most useful thing that I did was become thoroughly familiar with the software that the CCS use. You can do this by plenty of practice with the disk that you get when you register for the exam.

Crush Step III was a great resource for me and the only one that I used. I took the test in Feb of my PGY-1 year right after ABSITE (American Board of Surgery In-Training Exam). I studied Crush on weekends here and there between Nov and Feb. Most of my test was medicine and very straight-forward. There were a few questions from OB-Gyn and Surgery but Medicine is your key.

If you are in a pre-lim medicine year, you should be fine. Most of my colleagues warned me not to "over study" for this test.

I'm a pathology resident and have no real clinical rotations, and I had no problem with the test. I just use the Kaplan book of practice questions and one other book of questions, and of course the CD that they send you. Med school and common sense should prepare you for the clinical scenarios.