When to use phosphoric acid vs polyacrylic acid in etching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

customx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain why sometimes it's better to use phosphoric acid and other times polyacrylic acid when etching? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone explain why sometimes it's better to use phosphoric acid and other times polyacrylic acid when etching? Thank you

It's been a long time since I was held responsible for this kind of chemistry judgements but here is my best guesses...
#1 The polyacrylic molecule is too big to come in close contact with the mineral component of the enamel and would therefore not be effective in "dissolving" out the non-organic portions of the enamel.
#2 Polyacrylic acid by its nature is more likely to bond itself to other chemicals then to "eat" other chemicals. So it makes for a bad etching solution.

I know that phosphoric acid is more commonly used, but I saw the polyacrylic acid used on occasion at the dentist I shadowed. Could it be used to etch composite or on top of a porcelain crown?

Members don't see this ad :)
i've only seen phosphoric acid used in etching (product called Uni-Etch... believe its 35%?) but who knows haha