When/Where should I get my MPH...MPP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avalon18217

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide on which medical school to go to (I didn't get into any combined MD/MPH programs)... Some of the schools I got into were more open to the idea of taking time off to get an MPH than others. I have wanted to do some epidemiology work internationally as well as policy work in the US or internationally.

Should I try to fit in an MPH while I'm in medical school (ie go to a school willing to let me take time off)? Are the online MPHs good enough and could I do that without taking time off of school?
If I don't get it while I am in medical school will I have to wait until after residency?

I was strongly considering joining the National Health Service once I graduated because they will repay some loans, but is the Epidemic Intelligence Service better for my interests?

AZCOM was the most open to the idea of taking time off, but the closest thing in Phoenix that I saw was an Masters in Public Policy. Does anyone know if that would be as useful as an MPH?

thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest trying to take time off your MD to do your MPH (between yr 2 and 3, or 3 and 4). The people that I know that waited until later to do an MPH are really struggling for time. One of my classmates was in the last year of his residency, and he had NO time. Similarly, I'm tutoring an attending right now, and she doesn't have enough time to go to class (hence me tutoring). The easiest thing to do is just dedicate a year, take your classes and focus on them. I assume you want an MPH because the information is relevant and interesting - so, you want to actually learn and retain some things, right? I don't think you'd really be able to enjoy and learn freely if you were in residency or later.

MPPs are different than MPHs. I think there is an overlap between MPH/Healthcare Policy or Administration tracks and an MPP ... but I can't imagine there's much overlap in the other areas of public health (epi, bstt, community health, env health). If your'e interesting in health policy, an MPP might actually be more appropriate. If you're interested in outbreak investigations, health education, etc ... then go for an MPH.

Make sure you're looking at accredited programs (I like accredited schools ... but there are also accredited programs). If you just want information and you're good at self learning (and have good math skills), then I think online would be fine. If you want to work in public health, then you should consider going to a physical school - maybe you can work as an RA on a study, or otherwise get involved in research. A lot of public health schools offer online classes - so, you could be enrolled at a physical campus, but still have the option of online classes.

Good luck!

Thanks, after looking around more I think an MPH is better for me than an MPP, because I am interested in both epidemiology and policy.
But I still get conflicting ideas about when to get it. So far most people are telling me to go to LECOM which won't let me take time off, and get my MPH later, but I've been worried that I won't have time later on...
My pre-med advisor thought that I may not even need an MPH, that I could get enough experience doing NHS, EIS, MSF.
I wish I knew a physician with an MPH that I could discuss my options with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to decide on which medical school to go to (I didn't get into any combined MD/MPH programs)... Some of the schools I got into were more open to the idea of taking time off to get an MPH than others. I have wanted to do some epidemiology work internationally as well as policy work in the US or internationally.

Should I try to fit in an MPH while I'm in medical school (ie go to a school willing to let me take time off)? Are the online MPHs good enough and could I do that without taking time off of school?
If I don't get it while I am in medical school will I have to wait until after residency?

I was strongly considering joining the National Health Service once I graduated because they will repay some loans, but is the Epidemic Intelligence Service better for my interests?

AZCOM was the most open to the idea of taking time off, but the closest thing in Phoenix that I saw was an Masters in Public Policy. Does anyone know if that would be as useful as an MPH?

thanks for your input
I am doing my MPH right now, and there are several med students and doctors in the program. I think most people who are interested in or practicing medicine either do it while they are in med school or wait until after they have started practicing. The option is there to do it in between med school and residency, but I only know of one such person in the program.

The best option is to either be in the midst of the MD coursework or have an MD under your belt since MPH programs will waive certain requirements. I'm not terribly certain about the online programs, my guess is that it depends on which school through which you are doing the program.

Hope this helps!

I wish I knew a physician with an MPH that I could discuss my options with.
I guess this applies to me, although I am sure there are others here more advanced in their training who can give a broader perspective.

I did a 2-year epi MPH before med school. I'm currently a first year resident in internal medicine, a specialty with a fair number of MPHs. I've primarily used my MPH background for research.

Its been a while, but I thought most if not all of the med schools I looked at were more than happy to let students take a leave of absence if you had a good reason that would add to your career. And I also have this vague idea that the respectable med schools would be happy to let you do your MPH at whatever institution would be the best fit for you. If nothing else it would help you match into a stronger residency and make them look better. I would also think that if you were strong enough to get into an MD or DO program, you would be able to get into a good MPH program as well. I seem to remember getting the sense that SPH's were eager to train MDs/DOs who had a serious interest in public health.

I don't know much about online programs, but I would be wary of them. I had a med school classmate who did a program through Hopkins that had a significant online component, although she still had to travel to Baltimore on a regular basis. She seemed happy with it and I'm sure it worked out great for her.

I wouldn't recommend trying to do an MPH while doing med school full time. It would be theoretically possible during years 1-2 when you largely control your own schedule (wake up, study, eat, go to lecture, study, go to lab, study, eat, study, shower, study, talk to significant other, study...). It would be physically impossible during much if not all of the med school years 3-4.

If you were going to take time off, probably 1-2 years, you would have to think about when. Probably not between years 1-2, as the basic science probably goes better as a single 2-year block. Many people would elect to do their MPH time between years 2-3 as that is a natural break between classroom work and clinical work. And an arguement can be made for between years 3-4, after you have a year of clinical experience and maybe have a better idea what you want to do clinically. Many, probably most, people change their residency choice during year 3.

I think doing an MPH between med school and residency is less popular, if for no reason than it would disrupt everything your med school would do to help you go through the match. I know somebody who did it and it worked out great, though. I also think it makes less sense for most people, as your MPH experiences might alter where you want to do your residency, and in what.

You certainly can do an MPH while in residency, but you would have to take time off. Again, I would think most good residencies would be happy to help you arrange for an MPH during your training although getting funded to do it might be tricky unless it's part of a specific training or fellowship (i.e.-preventive medicine fellowships usually let you do an MPH and pay you at the same time, IIRC). You could also do it while practicing, but the time pressures seem just as bad (perhaps more control over your schedule, but usually more family commitments and less desire to be a student again).

Unless you have some extensive public health experiences, I suspect it's impossible to know now exactly what you want to do and therefore impossible to know if NHS vs EIS would be better. I've known people who did both, and they are now in very different areas. It seems a little like asking if you should do your residency in internal medicine or surgery...at least do your third year of med school first!

The benefit of an MPP vs MPH would completely depend on what you want to do. I've never heard anybody suggest that one was better than the other overall, although I'm sure for some specific things there are pluses and minuses. I guess more people know about an MPH whereas they would have to think about what an MPP was. It would also depend on the MPH major - I think my MPH (in epi) was very different than my friends MPH (in public health nutrition), even though we went to the same school.

Well, there's my $0.02. I hope it was at least a little helpful.

Thanks Adcadet, that was very informative.
Are you glad you did your MPH before medical school? Do you think that you will still use it?

I still think that I will be choosing LECOM and maybe I can get something worked out with them to get it during medical school.
Because I liked LECOMs PBL so much and it will save 40k over four years I am thinking that this might be the best fit for me.

Its been a while, but I thought most if not all of the med schools I looked at were more than happy to let students take a leave of absence if you had a good reason that would add to your career.

It was the LECOM interviewers who didn't think that it would be possible, but they may not have really known the policy. LECOM Bradenton is almost entirely PBL and still trying to make sure that their students can do exceptionally well on boards, so they seem to be less flexible than other schools. But as long as I am able to keep my GPA up they might make an exception between II-III or III-IV.

Yes, I'm glad I did my MPH prior to med school. I actually spent 2.5 years in the SPH as my last semester in college I took all my classes in the SPH. After about 2 weeks of classes I knew I wanted to do my MPH in that SPH, so that was very useful. I'm also glad I did a 2-year program rather than a 1-year program, as I don't think the 1-year program would have given me the time to let the concepts sink in. I also go to take a broader range of classes - I never would have taken a maternal and child health class, for an example, in a 1-year program but got to in the 2-year program. And finally, I've found that a 2-year epi MPH was much more useful for what I wanted to do than would have been a 1-year MPH (in "public health practice" or somesuch, at least at my school) during med school or after. I honestly don't know how MDs/DOs use a 1-year MPH as it seems like an awfully brief experience to me. But I'm rather biased against 1-year programs so you should definitely talk to some of the 1-year physician-MPH students out there.

I've used my epi MPH background to do a clinical research project during med school, and I just came off of a research month during my residency during which I extensively used my epi and biostats background for a few research projects. My MPH background let me move through all of these much quicker, with more depth, and with less help from others. I certainly plan to continue to do research, mostly clinical research for now that leverages both my MD and MPH. So yes, I will be continuously using my MPH background in the research I do.

Some of my political views have also been reinforced and changed as a result of some of my MPH experiences, and that won't stop. I also practice medicine a little differently because of my MPH, both because I am a little more careful in how I interpret studies and test, and because of the way I view the world and the enterprise of medicine. Medicine and public health sometimes have very different veiws and priorities, both have a legitimate viewpoint and body of science, and both add tremendously to the health and welfare of my patients. My use of my public health background in the way I practice medicine won't stop either.