When will it be too late this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
to submit the AMCAS?

I am trying to stay focused on MCAT while doing the application. I don't want to delay it too long though. I have seen deadlines for schools vary any where from Sept-Dec. If it takes AMCAS a month to verify my application, can I assume it would be safe if I submitted it by July? My plan is to submit before the end of June but just wondering...

I have never seen a more complicated process for admission into a college before :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

to submit the AMCAS?

I am trying to stay focused on MCAT while doing the application. I don't want to delay it too long though. I have seen deadlines for schools vary any where from Sept-Dec. If it takes AMCAS a month to verify my application, can I assume it would be safe if I submitted it by July? My plan is to submit before the end of June but just wondering...

I have never seen a more complicated process for admission into a college before :scared:

Hear hear! It is pretty crazy.

This is just my personal opinion, but it comes from applying too late the first round and getting in on my second try.

DO NOT listen to the deadlines saying Dec. They will have been interviewing for months by then. However, you don't need everything in the first week of June no matter what people say. The line is hazy, but I would get in your primary by July, let them do the month turnaround, and then make sure to do your secondaries just as soon as you get them (Aug/Sep should be fine). Some schools will send you a secondary right away and some will have a screening process, so in "good" news, at least you won't be working on all the essays at the same time. It's a good idea to keep a spreadsheet of when you sent in everything, and it's a VERY good idea to check the website for each school after you send the material in until you get a confirmation that it arrived. Every year somebody's app gets lost in the mail. Don't let that be why you miss out on a school!

Good luck!

Hear hear! It is pretty crazy.

This is just my personal opinion, but it comes from applying too late the first round and getting in on my second try.

DO NOT listen to the deadlines saying Dec. They will have been interviewing for months by then. However, you don't need everything in the first week of June no matter what people say. The line is hazy, but I would get in your primary by July, let them do the month turnaround, and then make sure to do your secondaries just as soon as you get them (Aug/Sep should be fine). Some schools will send you a secondary right away and some will have a screening process, so in "good" news, at least you won't be working on all the essays at the same time. It's a good idea to keep a spreadsheet of when you sent in everything, and it's a VERY good idea to check the website for each school after you send the material in until you get a confirmation that it arrived. Every year somebody's app gets lost in the mail. Don't let that be why you miss out on a school!

Good luck!

Fully concur with several items mentioned above, especially the spreadsheet to keep up with all school deadlines, when letters of reference were sent (this may no longer be an issue if these are all done through Amcas?) and to confirm that the schools rec'd the info sent. Many schools will verify this if you log into their web site which is a nice bonus. I had sent the correct number of LORs to one school, but one was the from the "wrong" source, contacted the school roughly 3 times to request an exception which was finally granted, the school marked my app "complete" when the exception was granted, 1 month after it had been received. So double/triple checking is important.

From what I've heard from quite a few schools, you'd be fine with July primary, August (preferably mid August or so) secondaries complete, mostly interviews start in September so if you're not being reviewed for the very first round of interviews, it should be among the first few groups interviewed. MCAT should definitely be the top priority right now, I'd go 100% on that even if the primary is finished several weeks later than intended.

ps definitely I'd suggest a letter service such as interfolio or virtual evals to hold your letters of recommendation and send them to the schools that you designate. The services make things much more secure/certain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fully concur with several items mentioned above, especially the spreadsheet to keep up with all school deadlines, when letters of reference were sent (this may no longer be an issue if these are all done through Amcas?) and to confirm that the schools rec'd the info sent. Many schools will verify this if you log into their web site which is a nice bonus. I had sent the correct number of LORs to one school, but one was the from the "wrong" source, contacted the school roughly 3 times to request an exception which was finally granted, the school marked my app "complete" when the exception was granted, 1 month after it had been received. So double/triple checking is important.

From what I've heard from quite a few schools, you'd be fine with July primary, August (preferably mid August or so) secondaries complete, mostly interviews start in September so if you're not being reviewed for the very first round of interviews, it should be among the first few groups interviewed. MCAT should definitely be the top priority right now, I'd go 100% on that even if the primary is finished several weeks later than intended.

ps definitely I'd suggest a letter service such as interfolio or virtual evals to hold your letters of recommendation and send them to the schools that you designate. The services make things much more secure/certain.

Thanks, I do have letters saved up in interfolio already. I appreciate the info.

I am confused by the dates. If I complete my coursework in spring 2009 and take the MCAT in summer 2009, when do I actually apply? I have heard people mention finishing in the first week of June in 2009. However, it sounds as though you can't put things into a "system" until June 1? Sounds like it is a lot of work so unless one doesn't work for a week and uses vacation time to complete an online system it is problematic. When do schools actually begin looking at applications? Sorry, jumping into the process late in life and in a hurry.