when will pharmacists get the covid vaccine for themselves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozetone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
when do you think WE as pharmacists will get the covid vaccine? has anyone heard anything among your employers? anywhere i whoiuld look or ask? i would like it. thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
when do you think WE as pharmacists will get the covid vaccine? has anyone heard anything among your employers? anywhere i whoiuld look or ask? i would like it. thanks..

I think it depends. My guess is - LTC first, hospital second, retail third.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably depends on the state. New Jersey has all healthcare workers as first line, with hospital and LTC employees first, including pharmacist. More details coming on Monday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably depends on the state. New Jersey has all healthcare workers as first line, with hospital and LTC employees first, including pharmacist. More details coming on Monday.
Arizona has pharmacist in their first tier.

Hey man are you working now? How ya been?

I assume this means healthcare workers that are working in a practice setting...or does it means all licensed HCPs in general?

Actually, I guess it will be only available through practice workplace anyway.

Last edited:
Hospital staff pharmacist in Virginia. Got my first round on Friday.

I can get my first dose at the end of the first clinic with CVS.

Retail grocery pharmacist here. Texas lists pharmacists and their staff as part of the first line to get the vaccine. Ours is supposed to be coming in next week, and we were told by our company to vaccinate ourselves and any willing staffers first thing. I even have a friend thats a Cali RPh debating flying in to get the vaccine from me.

Just to add. Officially it is 5 doses per vial, although overage of 1-2 doses have been reported. It actually makes sense when supplies are returned to the store and you have few doses left in the vial that's going to expire in a couple hours, to vaccinate a few more.

Retail grocery pharmacist here. Texas lists pharmacists and their staff as part of the first line to get the vaccine. Ours is supposed to be coming in next week, and we were told by our company to vaccinate ourselves and any willing staffers first thing. I even have a friend thats a Cali RPh debating flying in to get the vaccine from me.

What retailer?

We are getting the vaccine in during phase II which I believe is in march. Im in retail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retail fodder shouldn't count on being able to get a vaccine until summer.

It really depends on the JNJ EUA (one shot and less onerous storage requirement) if you are actually keen to get a viral vector vaccine.

• Sad
  • Haha
Sorry to hear that. It’s state dependent. Yet folks who sit in a hospital basement and see zero patients get it before retail folks.
this is what frustrates me. I work in and ED and respond to codes in a COVID unit- so obviously I am part of phase one- but our mgmt, IV techs, and ops rph's who never leave the pharmacy were as well, but my wife who works in a clinic and is face to face with patients wasn't - priorities are messed up. Retail peeps should come before non-patient facing hospital staff.

Reactions: 3 users
Anticipate getting mine Thursday (I work hospital, but not a cave dweller).

The health departments are giving the shot out to 65 and older in most areas , so yeah.... we got passed over for sure. not a priority at all. Shows you how pharmacists are viewed. However, I bet they will have us GIVING the vaccine before we even get one ourselves.

• Angry
And what about this knucklehead pharmacist who intentionally left out 57 vials of Moderna vaccine to spoil? They gonna throw him a blanket party in jail....

"equity" in terms of vaccine distribution doesn't really bother me but at the minimum if you are giving shots you should have the opportunity to get one yourself.

The health departments are giving the shot out to 65 and older in most areas , so yeah.... we got passed over for sure. not a priority at all. Shows you how pharmacists are viewed. However, I bet they will have us GIVING the vaccine before we even get one ourselves.
Huh?

Walgreens has already said if you want it you can get it.

It’s crazy how pharmacist are treated by chains and all other companies, general public. This pandemic again confirmed how pharmacist aren’t valued at all. And by Seeing how other profession and employers care about their employee safety and well being made me realize once again why I should have not picked pharmacy career.

Only if you are one of vaccinating pharmacist, right?

Don't listen or respond to this WagsRxm2000 guy. He just says stuff to rile people up and get them all frustrated. I blocked him years ago. trust me , talk to him long enough and he will make you want to punch a baby.....take my advice , block him. totally negative dude.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
It’s crazy how pharmacist are treated by chains and all other companies, general public. This pandemic again confirmed how pharmacist aren’t valued at all. And by Seeing how other profession and employers care about their employee safety and well being made me realize once again why I should have not picked pharmacy career.

my guess is hospital pharmacists only got one because it would look horrible if they were left out, but it's easy to "leave out" the retail sector. We will probably get ours when it's shipped in for delivery to general public. march---june.

• Wow
We are getting the vaccine in during phase II which I believe is in march. Im in retail.

Phase 2 being the "general public phase" or at least 65 and older which is already happening. ?

my guess is hospital pharmacists only got one because it would look horrible if they were left out, but it's easy to "leave out" the retail sector. We will probably get ours when it's shipped in for delivery to general public. march---june.
Dont you think it’s crazy? it’s utter disrespect towards pharmacist just blows me away.

Only if you are one of vaccinating pharmacist, right?
Don't listen to @sozetone he just hates his job.

Yes if you do clinics you can get the shot. However there will also be left over vaccinations after clinics and we've been told we can use them so they don't expire

Meanwhile over in LTC all I hear are crickets. At least we aren’t dealing with the public though.
It's such bs considering one of our execs is LITERALLY ON THE OPERATION WARPSPEED TEAM

It's such bs considering one of our execs is LITERALLY ON THE OPERATION WARPSPEED TEAM
Trust me, I think about that everyday. I don’t mind that the first priority are our patients, that makes sense to me, but to not even spare a single thought to us, the “healthcare” employees, is pretty sad.

Reactions: 4 users
I know people who work administration for a hospital off-site who have gotten their shot already. Their workplace is a typical office building. They have no interaction with anybody besides co-workers and have the option to work from home. It's basically a regular office job. The office is practically empty because why go there when you can work from home?

Makes no sense.

• Angry
So no one here really hasn't gotten it yet?

CVS and Walgreens are part of the phase 1 rollout so some of those pharmacists would have?

I know people who work administration for a hospital off-site who have gotten their shot already. Their workplace is a typical office building. They have no interaction with anybody besides co-workers and have the option to work from home. It's basically a regular office job. The office is practically empty because why go there when you can work from home?

Makes no sense.
this has frustrated the heck out of me - our hospital CEO has stated he will wait his turn (group 1c I think) but all departmental managers (who have zero patient contact) have gotten theirs,

quite a few have - I have my second shot today (but I work in a high risk area-ED and COVID units for codes)
Ok that's what I thought, I've had mine too.

I guess it's just @sozetone being himself again.

shouldn't all grocery store workers and basically any retail worker get the vaccine just as equally as a retail pharmacist?

check out people have to touch everything the public touched. the only argument for a pharmacist would be when they give a vaccine (non covid vaccine), they are interacting and touching the person more closely.

i don't understand this cry to be covid-vaccinated when we gave all other vaccines this whole pandemic. we're not giving the covid vaccine to sick people. we had an equal chance of catching covid all fall while giving flu shots, as we do giving the covid vaccine now. we're supposed to act like everyone walking around on the planet has covid potentially.

i guess i'd rather have anyone over 65, obese, diabetic, htn etc get the vaccine before i do.

Yes there prob should be a broader rollout but states are being conservative with their allocations and committing to making sure they can complete the prime-prime series + onerous storage requirements

This is now like getting invited to Facebook or Gmail.

County health departments might be doing shots by invite now but only for those who 'qualify.'

So no one here really hasn't gotten it yet?

I’m getting mine tomorrow thru my PCPs office (Kaiser). They said to bring proof you’re in phase 1a like a work badge or letter from work. In WA they have this thing called phasefinder and you answer questions and at the end tell you if you’re eligible for phase 1a. I’m bringing that as well.

I work for a specialty mail order pharmacy so no patient interaction but I signed up to do LTC immunization with a chain who hasn’t immunized me yet so I’m taking it into my own hands to do it before I start clinics

shouldn't all grocery store workers and basically any retail worker get the vaccine just as equally as a retail pharmacist?

check out people have to touch everything the public touched. the only argument for a pharmacist would be when they give a vaccine (non covid vaccine), they are interacting and touching the person more closely.

i don't understand this cry to be covid-vaccinated when we gave all other vaccines this whole pandemic. we're not giving the covid vaccine to sick people. we had an equal chance of catching covid all fall while giving flu shots, as we do giving the covid vaccine now. we're supposed to act like everyone walking around on the planet has covid potentially.

i guess i'd rather have anyone over 65, obese, diabetic, htn etc get the vaccine before i do.

Maybe they think grocery and retail workers are more easily replaceable than health workers? I agree they should all get it though.

consider what could happen if an immunizer had Covid unwittingly while specifically interacting with the patients who are most at risk while giving them the vaccine. It just makes sense to start with the immunizer and reduce the risk of a “super-spreader event”.

Imagine a news story of someone spreading Covid at a vaccine clinic. It would just fuel the antivax nonsense.

Reactions: 4 users
consider what could happen if an immunizer had Covid unwittingly while specifically interacting with the patients who are most at risk while giving them the vaccine. It just makes sense to start with the immunizer and reduce the risk of a “super-spreader event”.

Imagine a news story of someone spreading Covid at a vaccine clinic. It would just fuel the antivax nonsense.

This has 100% probability of occuring.

I have been doing clinics for about 3 weeks now, although first week I didn't do much, and can tell you that most facilities have ongoing active positive cases. Most facilities have Covid units. So while it will make headlines, it is probably not a huge deal. We are all wearing N95 and shields. A lot of nursing home residents don't.

Last edited:
This has 100% probability of occuring.

I have been doing clinics for about 3 weeks now, although first week I didn't do much, and can tell you that most facilities have ongoing active positive cases. Most facilities have Covid units. So while it will make headlines, it is probably not a huge deal. We are all wearing N95 and masks. A lot of nursing home residents don't.
So you are going to clinics that have active covid cases. Did you get vaccine and were you given N95 mask?

Retail fodder shouldn't count on being able to get a vaccine until summer.
retail tech here...our store definitely has mixed messaging on when we're actually getting the vaccine. We even had a false alarm on RXConnect recently

I am fortunate enough that I was able to fill out an online government survey, and grab an appointment for next week!

So I know someone who applied for the CVS immunizer position. They did a bait and switch. Told her during the interview they would provide N95 masks, face shields and provide the Covid vaccine for pharmacists.

After she did her drug test and started training, she asked again and they said they would only get a surgical mask and gloves. No N95 or face shield and no vaccine "unless they have extra left".

Hard pass.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
So I know someone who applied for the CVS immunizer position. They did a bait and switch. Told her during the interview they would provide N95 masks, face masks and provide the Covid vaccine for pharmacists.

After she did her drug test and started training, she asked again and they said they would only get a surgical mask and gloves. No N95 or face shield and no vaccine "unless they have extra left".

Hard pass.
That was not my experience.I was vaccinated first day.They had plenty of PPE.I am a CVS immunizer.