when will pharmacists get the covid vaccine for themselves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes. N95 and face shield available. If anything N95 isn't changed often enough by immunizers. There are boxes full of gowns too when you go room to room.

About to get my 2nd dose early next week. Like I said, most clinics will have doses left at the end. So if you are doing clinics, you can have a dose at the end of first clinic most likely. Frustrating part is they have no system in place to use expiring doses beyond that. If we are bringing back 4 left over doses, can't you find some employees to give them to.

Members don't see this ad.

Last thing to add. Staffing on CVS end is hit or miss every clinic. On top of that, the number of clinics has exploded this week. If you don't have an experienced tech/biller and organized setup, it could get ugly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. N95 and face shield available. If anything N95 isn't changed often enough by immunizers. There are boxes full of gowns too when you go room to room.

About to get my 2nd dose early next week. Like I said, most clinics will have doses left at the end. So if you are doing clinics, you can have a dose at the end of first clinic most likely. Frustrating part is they have no system in place to use expiring doses beyond that. If we are bringing back 4 left over doses, can't you find some employees to give them to.

Did you start already? Doesn't the vaccine take a few weeks after second dose to be effective? So you're basically at risk for the first month or two.

They claim 50% protection 10 days after dose one but yes, there is risk, even after dose two. A lot of staff at these facilities don't even want the vaccine or say they will get it in 3 weeks when we come back. I don't have good estimates but maybe 1/3 of staff got vaccinated?

Reactions: 1 users
Curious - do you attend covid patients while working as ED pharmacist?
yup - I attend codes house wide regardless of where they are.
Also, often in the ED we don't have the results by the time I may need to be present at bedside - therefore I treat everybody as if they are positive. I wear a N95 pretty much at all times when in the ED. (we are lucky to have very involved ED Rph's)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
consider what could happen if an immunizer had Covid unwittingly while specifically interacting with the patients who are most at risk while giving them the vaccine. It just makes sense to start with the immunizer and reduce the risk of a “super-spreader event”.

Imagine a news story of someone spreading Covid at a vaccine clinic. It would just fuel the antivax nonsense.
i suppose.

once again, nothing to stop that from happening all summer and fall with other vaccines.

there should be big signs and the techs should let the customers know during paperwork, NO TALKING DURING VACCCINE! lol. enough with the small talk during the vaccine. talking will increase risk of spread. so everyone just shut up. :)

i suppose.

once again, nothing to stop that from happening all summer and fall with other vaccines.

there should be big signs and the techs should let the customers know during paperwork, NO TALKING DURING VACCCINE! lol. enough with the small talk during the vaccine. talking will increase risk of spread. so everyone just shut up. :)
Now I see how how you got your name.

• Haha
i suppose.

Yeah you’re not wrong but I still think it’s extra risk since you are only immunizing through highest risk population. It just concentrates the risk.

I think the risk is overblown for someone coming into resident's room and giving a vaccination. Probably just the same as doing 30-50 flu shots a day inside CVS. Of course, we'll never hear about immunizers testing positive doing these clinics.

I think the risk is overblown for someone coming into resident's room and giving a vaccination. Probably just the same as doing 30-50 flu shots a day inside CVS. Of course, we'll never hear about immunizers testing positive doing these clinics.
Didn’t you say that this LTC have active covid cases and who knows how many times a day you are getting exposed to covid patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not any different than interacting with 50 patients getting flu shots. Covid is all over the place. If you are in healthcare, there is no avoiding it. If anything, they do monitor their staff and residents more than in a different business. Obviously you won't be giving vaccinations to confirmed positive cases but since staff and residents might have had contact with those, you try to be careful.

i got my second round of the pfizer vaccine on friday

It is not any different than interacting with 50 patients getting flu shots. Covid is all over the place. If you are in healthcare, there is no avoiding it. If anything, they do monitor their staff and residents more than in a different business. Obviously you won't be giving vaccinations to confirmed positive cases but since staff and residents might have had contact with those, you try to be careful.
Makes sense.

do you know if you are actually getting the active drug?
Sorry I didn’t mean to ignore this I just forgot to get around to answering it. I have an appointment on Thursday and I think I’ll get the details then. I assume it’s blinded though so probably not. They did mention follow up blood work so presumably I’ll find out if I developed antibodies afterwards. Once I get all the details I’ll share them.

I attempted to sign up for the Novavax phase 3 trial but zero turnaround (prob want to pump up dem "latinx" demographics) so I'll just wait for later

I really don't get any injection site reactions (done Heplisav x2, Varivax, M-M-R II, Twinrix, Adacel, Menactra last 5 yrs) with the possible exception of this possible SIRVA I've had for 2.5 years running now. GD if they gonna make techs immunize at least I can educate them on proper location / needle length as opposed to these dip**** pharmacists.

... I can educate them on proper location / needle length as opposed to these dip**** pharmacists.
so I’ve been seeing a lot of comments online about the photos of Covid vaccines being given “too high”. Where exactly do people think the deltoid is? It’s pretty high. I haven’t seen any photos where I thought the placement was “too high”.

I don’t know if that’s what you were referring to but I figured I would chime in.

so I’ve been seeing a lot of comments online about the photos of Covid vaccines being given “too high”. Where exactly do people think the deltoid is? It’s pretty high. I haven’t seen any photos where I thought the placement was “too high”.

I don’t know if that’s what you were referring to but I figured I would chime in.
I suspect this is something to do with the way administration technique is taught. It's 2-3 fingers below the acromion process, but some people are taught to just go for it below that marker, whereas others are taught to make a C with their hand. People who make the C usually go to the center of the deltoid. People who don't tend to be aim a bit higher.

Someone literally hit me near the armpit in 2019

Getting the right needle size also since the u.s. has a lot of fatties will be esp relevant as these shots seem more reactogenic compared to standard flu shots

I'm still waiting on the story as to how this happened. I honestly can't picture a scenario where this could happen. Maybe an incredibly poorly timed sneeze?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Getting the right needle size also since the u.s. has a lot of fatties will be esp relevant as these shots seem more reactogenic compared to standard flu shots
I am not sure I know what “near the armpit” means. The shoulder (and hence deltoid) is near the armpit so do you mean like your arm was raised and they almost went under your arm? Or like they were really, really off to the side?

The red circle is slightly smaller than the size of the those round inject-safe bandages.

Attachments

• location.png
    location.png
    691.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
I attempted to sign up for the Novavax phase 3 trial but zero turnaround (prob want to pump up dem "latinx" demographics) so I'll just wait for later
So it turns out it is the Novavax trial I enrolled in. It is blinded but they said they will unblind it at some point after the second shot so that’s not too bad. I can also get an antibody test although I did agree not to do that in the signup paperwork. Plus I get $800.

So overall I got a 2/3 chance of getting the vaccine and if not I still get the money and by then maybe I can get the real deal somewhere.

• Wow
What do you mean 2 out of 3? If you mean allocation is 2 to 1 for treatment vs placebo, for a given H_a and sample size, unbalanced study arms will have lower statistical power. Also it's two actual shots vs two saline shots, not 2 chances at an active shot.

What do you mean 2 out of 3? If you mean allocation is 2 to 1 for treatment vs placebo, for a given H_a and sample size, unbalanced study arms will have lower statistical power. Also it's two actual shots vs two saline shots, not 2 chances at an active shot.
According to the person doing my paperwork I have a 2/3rd chance to get the vaccine vs placebo. I did not attempt to debate the finer points of study design with her or ask her to prove it or anything. ;)

Are you going to get an antibody test a few weeks after the first dose? You can give blood and they might tell you if you tested + for spike protein Ab

Are you going to get an antibody test a few weeks after the first dose? You can give blood and they might tell you if you tested + for spike protein Ab
the issue with this, from what I have heard, that the vaccine doesn't necessarily produce the antibody that they test for - so a negative antibody test doesn't necessarily mean no-immunity/you received the placebo. At least this is what a Phd lab friend of mine told me that is involved in developing tests

I am debating this, although strictly speaking I am not eligible to give blood. Like DP mentioned I am not 100% if I would test positive even if I did get the treatment plus they mentioned they will "probably" unblind shortly after the second dose, which is what Moderna and Pfiser did according to them. Given that I am not confident that I can even get the vaccine before then I am not going to stress about it at this point. If it turns out I got placebo I can always get the vaccine then.

the issue with this, from what I have heard, that the vaccine doesn't necessarily produce the antibody that they test for - so a negative antibody test doesn't necessarily mean no-immunity/you received the placebo. At least this is what a Phd lab friend of mine told me that is involved in developing tests
I actually just gave blood the other day, shortly after being vaccinated. The red cross does test all blood donations and I was told that generally people who were vaccinated will return with an "inconsistent" result rather than positive or negative. They run two different tests, one generally reacts positive after receiving the vaccine and the other does not.

That was not my experience.I was vaccinated first day.They had plenty of PPE.I am a CVS immunizer.
It might be different from what we are talking but when did you get an email for drug test instruction and background personal information confirm email? I am still waiting after accepting an offer and not sure when I'm getting. THanks

It might be different from what we are talking but when did you get an email for drug test instruction and background personal information confirm email? I am still waiting after accepting an offer and not sure when I'm getting. THanks
All I can tell you is by my experience so far.I have been employed for 6 weeks.
It was a bang bang process.The time frame from phone interview to hire was about 7 days including the piss test which I somehow passed.
Most of my shifts are 6 hours.I average about 3 shifts a week. I was led to believe it would be more hours.
There is a lot of travel.Our schedule for the week comes out every Sunday.
Boss lady says we are about one third done.
Good luck.

All I can tell you is by my experience so far.I have been employed for 6 weeks.
It was a bang bang process.The time frame from phone interview to hire was about 7 days including the piss test which I somehow passed.
Most of my shifts are 6 hours.I average about 3 shifts a week. I was led to believe it would be more hours.
There is a lot of travel.Our schedule for the week comes out every Sunday.
Boss lady says we are about one third done.
Good luck.
Thanks for reply. so you got an email for drug test like a week after you accept the offer? How much travel is that? Thanks!

Last edited:
If I remember correctly they asked me to piss test when they gave me the offer.I have traveled over 2 hours for a shift but average about an hour.I live in a rural state.

If I remember correctly they asked me to piss test when they gave me the offer.I have traveled over 2 hours for a shift but average about an hour.I live in a rural state.
hm.. I should contact DM or HR then I guess. cause it's been 2 days and I didn't receive drug test instruction. Wow.. 2 hrs.. did you know that you will drive like 2 hrs when you sign the offer?

hm.. I should contact DM or HR then I guess. cause it's been 2 days and I didn't receive drug test instruction. Wow.. 2 hrs.. did you know that you will drive like 2 hrs when you sign the offer?

Give it a couple more days.Two hour drives only occasionally.Average drive is about an hour.

Feels like the hours are drying up. Fewer clinics and/or number of people scheduled for those clinics.

There is also that backlash in some states against cvs and Walgreens and states are pulling out of agreements. To make it short, I wouldn't be too excited about getting unlimited hours.

We have a major health system in my area now doing all-day mass clinics on the weekends just for phase 1 workers in the health care industry (no general pop boomers allowed) and there seem to be ample sign up slots (you do have to sign up for an account on their online portal). I looked at the sign up process and you don't need to be a customer of this health system.

Kaiser Permanente seems like a joke in comparison

We have a major health system in my area now doing all-day mass clinics on the weekends just for phase 1 workers in the health care industry (no general pop boomers allowed) and there seem to be ample sign up slots (you do have to sign up for an account on their online portal). I looked at the sign up process and you don't need to be a customer of this health system.

FAQ says it's for their patients who work in the healthcare field, but I guess making an account makes me their patient? I made an appointment for tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

Feels like the hours are drying up. Fewer clinics and/or number of people scheduled for those clinics.

There is also that backlash in some states against cvs and Walgreens and states are pulling out of agreements. To make it short, I wouldn't be too excited about getting unlimited hours.

A temp agency contacted me to do vaccinations even tho they knew I did it for CVS already. I accepted it cause I know vaccinations is ramping up in my state and I wanted to be scheduled more. I don’t really care if cvs doesn’t schedule me as much. From my experience, they’re still so unorganized right now. I’ve only done clinics for days they need a last minute pharmacist. Depot leaders can’t figure the schedule out and all the people they’re hiring

• Wow

Which state? I got my shot at KP and thought their clinic was very organized and efficient. Getting my second one next week

This is Sutter Health in Northern California.

The website does say, "Currently vaccinating: Healthcare workers and Sutter patients age 75 and older" so I would argue it should not exclude those who are not normally seen by Sutter providers.

You can also say you don't have insurance when you sign up for an appointment.

A temp agency contacted me to do vaccinations even tho they knew I did it for CVS already. I accepted it cause I know vaccinations is ramping up in my state and I wanted to be scheduled more. I don’t really care if cvs doesn’t schedule me as much. From my experience, they’re still so unorganized right now. I’ve only done clinics for days they need a last minute pharmacist. Depot leaders can’t figure the schedule out and all the people they’re hiring
CVS schedule is uneven.Some weeks heavy some light.The shifts for me are just six hours.What will you be doing?Store?LTC?I always thought that
agency help would be the last to be scheduled because of the costAny idea how long the assignment will be. Im guessing when it will be over when the stores start up.Good luck

I did end up getting the Pfizer COVID vaccine from Sutter. The clinic was well organized and efficient. The clinic was doing health care workers and 75 and up, and it was mostly 75 and up coming to the clinic. Thanks to @Sine Cura, because I wouldn't have known about the clinic otherwise. I tried to get the vaccine from the county, but took a week to get a sign-up link e-mailed back and all the slots were filled up by the time I looked at the e-mail.

Reactions: 2 users
I heard in Placer County 2nd shot appointments were canceled at the county fairgrounds. JFL