When will UCLA stop interviewing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know where UCLA is in the interviewing process? When did they first start interviewing and when will they stop?

Members don't see this ad.

Hope they don't stop soon! I am trying to finish up my secondary... Gosh, 6 or 7 essays are pretty tough at this stage. I need lots of luck guys!!!!! BTW, I don't have stellar GPA or MCAT, actually might be lower than their average, so I don't know if it was the fact that my extra- curricular or essays counted. I am not URM or indicated that I am disadvantaged. Have hardships, but didn't think that I can categorize myself as disadvantaged as I know there are others who's been through a lot more than me.

I keep thinking that there is something else I need to send UCLA besides the secondary b/c the line "application status" does not say anything and on top of my status page it still says "your online forms are due 12/17"?? Does everyone's page say that?

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Dr. Corday:
•I keep thinking that there is something else I need to send UCLA besides the secondary b/c the line "application status" does not say anything and on top of my status page it still says "your online forms are due 12/17"?? Does everyone's page say that?•••••Anyone?

my status page said that up until i scheduled an interview. i wouldn't worry about it.

I'm feeling the same way "trying2becomeMD." I received a secondary in february. My numbers are average and my extracurriculars are interesting but not spectacular. And i'm not a urm. I'm not going to get my hopes up about receiving an interview invite b/c I don't think my app is UCLA material, but who knows???

applehead96,

I am just about to send off my secondary. I am hoping that they read my essays that I spent so much time working on... I remember looking over my friend's UCLA secondary couple years ago, back then, I didn't think they allowed so much space (I think 4 questions on 1 sheet of paper? -- I could be wrong) nor gave you an opportunity to thoroughly discuss the person you are... So I am crossing my fingers that my essays do count, because I don't think I am even near what UCLA looks for in an applicant (number wise). Do I have my hopes up too high do you think?

no, I mean, I've gotta believe that ucla requested a secondary so late in the game b/c they saw something interesting besides the numbers. Or else, they're just being cruel, and want our 40 bucks. I think they'll give us a fair shot at being invited for an interview. I'd like to think that they'll overlook our mediocre numbers from here on out, but i know that's wishful thinking.

i'm just getting such a steady stream of rejections that i really don't want to think that somehow ucla will give me an invite. BTW, i've been rejected from ucd, ucsd, and ucsf. I haven't heard from uci. So I really don't know how to gauge my chances at ucla--i really didn't think that i would get a secondary.

with that said, I'll stop worrying and cross my fingers i guess! :rolleyes: I'm glad you share my feelings. best of luck to you trying2beMD and I'll keep you updated.

applehead96,

when did you recieve your secondaries from the UC's you applied to? I haven't heard a peep from any UC I applied to since my initial application went in. Of course, I'm expecting the worst from the UC system because of this. I'm dissapointed in how they have treated all of their applicants. I went to UC davis, and they have shown me no love whatsoever.

applehead96,
Acceptance from UC's seems totally arbitrary. Being rejected from one has no bearing on how you will fare at another. I was rejected from UCSF immediately without secondary (even though I did volunteer work there for 4 years, and worked there doing a ton of research for 2 years). I was rejected from Davis a few weeks after they received my secondary. UC San Diego just sent me my rejection (no secondary) even though I submitted my app in August. Irvine never responded until yesterday when they sent me an invitation to be in their postbac program, I'm assuming that means I've been rejected (without a secondary, although app submitted in August) and they just haven't told me yet. BUT I WAS INVITED FOR AN INTERVIEW AT UCLA! So, you never know.

Good luck to all!

hey barb, I'm pretty much in the same position as you. I have been rejected by all the UCs except UCLA (I'm still waiting to hear from them!). do you mind sharing your stats GPA/MCAT, extracurriculars, etc...thank you,

Dr. Will,

I received my secondary request from ucla on 1/30 or 1/31 and I turned in the UC apps way back in August. I got the UCDavis secondary in october and got rejected around december. But atleast you haven't gotten rejected from any of them either right? no news is good news!

I would agree that the UCs make no sense. I thought that of the california schools, I would have the best chance at uci or usc, but have heard nothing from either schools yet.

barb,

I forgot to congratulate you on the UCLA interview. :clap: That gives me some hope. Do you mind posting when they requested your secondary and when they invited you to interview?

congrats again!

Thanks applehead96. I sumbitted my secondary materials in September and received my invitation for an interview last month. I had the interview about three weeks ago.

Dr. Don, these are my stats:
undergrad science GPA: 2.7
undergrad non-science GPA: 3.6
cumulative GPA for master's in chemistry: 3.8 (to make up for the undergrad fiasco)
MCAT: 25
EC's: ton of research incl. 2 abstracts and presentation at national conference, officer in army medical service corps, army airborne school, lots of volunteer work(both medical and community oriented), currently teaching math to inner-city kids in middle school
Hope this helps!

Well... I hope interviews go for awhile because I just got my secondary today (3/5). The due date is 4/19... so I imagine they will interview at least until then

me,

when did you submit your amcas application? just trying to gauge were the UC's are in terms of reviewing initial apps.

i dont know what you guys think but i think this year's admissions process sucks. it's march and we are hearing about ppl having interviews in april (congratulations u guys, but bad for me). i need to prepare myself this summer for a job and housing for next school year. they're going to start telling us their decisions in may or june or july or what?? goddam. should i renew this nice apartment i have with my friend here at ucla? at least they should stop stalling because it really sucks for me (interviewed at ucla 2-13, go to ucla undergrad). i'm tired of this process.

I just got a request for an inteview at UCLA yesterday. I guess there's hope after all :cool: :)

I am still waiting to hear about a secondary. I called today and UCLA told me that my file is still under review and that there is a very good possibility they will be interviewing into May.

Hey Ceelo, when was your app complete at UCLA? Also, do you think it was your stats or EC's that got you an invite?