when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My girlfriend is allergic to nuts and a local Indian restaurant decided to get creative and throw some cashews in her dish that she has ordered a hundred times. We rushed to the ER where her throat was so swollen that she nearly had to be intubated. Fortunately, her symptoms reduced after receiving IM and racemic epinephrine. Due to the severity of her reaction, she was admitted to the hospital. The following day while eating lunch in her hospital room, I got a phone call from a unknown number. The call had the feel of a waitlist but when the voice on the other end said I had been accepted I responded with "you're joking, right?" When my girlfriend heard me say that, she jumped out of her bed in her hospital gown and began to cry. My body was shaking as I felt the weight of the world lift off of my shoulders. The nurses and doctors at the hospital probably thought we were crazy to be celebrating in the hospital room! It will definitely be a day that we will remember forever!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I got out of bed, walked out into my apartment hallway, and called my parents. Hearing how excited they were made this entire process worth it. Celebrated the rest of the day with close friends. Just such a huge relief

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I knew I would be getting a decision in the mail soon. So for about a week, I would come home and check the mailbox obsessively. WOrk had been super crazy; we were trying to release a new version of our production, and kept running into crazy bugs. So the previous day, Thursday, I had been at work from 9am to 9pm, and the day of (Friday), I was back at the office by 8:30. That evening, knowing I would need to be in the office til late, I ran home at about 6:30 to let the dog out. I checked the mail box out of habit, and there was my letter! I immediately texted my boyfriend, who knew I'd been waiting. Then, I just started crying in my kitchen. About 10 minutes later, I had to head back to work, where I had to stay until nearly 3am. I didn't really get a chance to celebrate until nearly a week later!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm gonna post here again because SDN helped me out!

I knew that my dream school was releasing decisions to the admissions portal in early December so I had already told myself that I couldn't look at it and gave my log in info to my mom. When I saw the email that the decision had been released, I tried calling my mom several times to let her know to look, but she didn't pick up. Curiosity got the best of me and I decided to check SDN to see what others were saying. When I noticed that only people who had been accepted had posted, I just decided I needed to look. I was sitting in my research lab, trying to not freak out, my heart was POUNDING as I was trying to recall the password to the portal. The admissions letter was loading and I was literally looking through my fingers, totally scared. I started sobbing madly when I saw the word "Congratulations..." I was in!

Dream come true. So unreal.

I called my older brother. He said "don't let it get to your head. I'm still as much of a doctor as you are."

Touché, brother. Touché

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 12 users
I woke up, checked my phone, saw my acceptance, and went back to bed. I really can't get myself to care about things when I'm hungover and trying to sleep. :yawn:

(Still grateful though haha.)

Can't believe I finally get to write about this! Just got my first acceptance yesterday. Saw the email when I was out. Panicked. Shut off my phone. Drive home as a nervous wreck, thinking about how it could be a bad outcome. Opened my email, peeked at my screen and it was an acceptance!! Cried a bit with my Mom and called my Dad. Went to work and then later that night went out to dinner with my family :)

Reactions: 2 users
I got a sudden interview invite about two weeks ago, attended the interview that week, and was told I'd hear back 8 days later. So I went very quickly from thinking I wouldn't get in to possibly getting accepted to a school that was high on my list when I applied.

I was sitting on my couch with my computer, when I saw my phone light up with the school name and "Admission Decision." My heart skipped a beat and I quickly opened up the email. I didn't see any "Congratulations!" in the first paragraph but when I read through, it said "thanks for taking the time to visit us and interview, etc. etc. etc."

I then went to the second paragraph and saw "Congratulations! We would like to offer you a seat in the incoming class of 2020." I just stared at it and a huge smile came across my face. I suddenly felt so thrilled and relieved, especially since I had liked the school so much. I hugged my sister and began texting and calling friends and family. I had to go to work right after, but I celebrated with my family, some close family friends and some delicious pizza :)

The acceptance was particularly meaningful for me because my dad attended the same school for graduate school, and he passed away several years ago. It was bittersweet as I wasn't able to celebrate the acceptance with him, but I felt happy and proud that I was, in a way, following in his path.

Reactions: 22 users
I wish I had seen this sooner! I got my first acceptance in November, but here's my story anyway:

I found out while I was on an interview trip. I had scheduled interviews at XSOM on Monday and at YSOM on Wednesday. My travel to XSOM was a disaster (bad jet lag going from west coast to east coast, driver got into car accident on the way to my bed and breakfast, and said bed and breakfast turned out to be...unique (the most polite way I can describe it)). So stress levels were extremely high, and I was an emotional wreck on the day of my interview at XSOM (the interview actually went pretty well, thank goodness). After the interview, I was walking to the train to take me back to the bed and breakfast when I checked my email on my phone and there sat a beautiful acceptance email. I jumped up and down and kind of did a scream/laugh/cry thing all at once. I immediately called my parents and best friends (no one picked up), so I kept my post-acceptance glow all to myself for a while. I decided to walk back to the bed and breakfast instead of taking the train, which was a huge mistake because it turned out to be a two mile walk on a busy road without a sidewalk, with stretches of bushwhacking in my interview suit and heels. Surprisingly, my suit was fine, and my heels were only a little muddy, an easy clean for my interview at YSOM on Wednesday.

In the end, I was also accepted to XSOM, YSOM, and two other schools after that first acceptance!

This particular school notifies applicants of acceptances by calling them on "acceptance day". Usually, if you don't get a call, it means you didn't get in. I was stalking SDN all day on "acceptance day" and watching one student after another post that they got a call. Eventually, the day came to a close and I had not received a call. I was devastated, yet hopeful because it ain't over til it's over. After a very long, sleepless night, I finally got an email that there had been a portal change. I logged onto the portal and before I read anything I prayed intensely for a good 5 minutes. And then I looked at the decision and I got in. I read it over just to make sure. I couldn't believe it and I couldn't stop shaking. I got the acceptance call about a half hour later that day. It was very stressful, but it made me appreciate it so much more.

Reactions: 2 users
I was on a bus stuck in traffic when I got an email from my top choice saying decisions were available. Heart started racing and, of course, as I was trying to load the portal we went through a tunnel and my service cut out. Took a few deep breaths and tried to prepare myself for the worst, but when we got out of the tunnel: Accepted! Started tearing up and grinning like a *****, packed in with all these surly morning commuters. I felt like I was going to explode and as soon as I got to my stop I jumped off and called my dad. I don't think I stopped smiling once all day!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was on a bus stuck in traffic when I got an email from my top choice saying decisions were available. Heart started racing and, of course, as I was trying to load the portal we went through a tunnel and my service cut out. Took a few deep breaths and tried to prepare myself for the worst, but when we got out of the tunnel: Accepted! Started tearing up and grinning like a *****, packed in with all these surly morning commuters. I felt like I was going to explode and as soon as I got to my stop I jumped off and called my dad. I don't think I stopped smiling once all day!

Congrats! Are you familiar with the Hiphoppotamus? Lol.

I'm so honored to be able to post on this thread! I have been watching it for years and it has been my dream to post. I was absolutely thrilled to receive my only acceptance a few days ago (you only need one! :D). It is an acceptance to a fully funded MD/PhD program (MSTP), and I could not be more shocked and grateful. I came into the cycle as a complete underdog with an MCAT score that I was constantly told is too low for MSTP. I fought as hard as I could to hang in there, and with a lot of help, I am SO happy to make it to the other side!

So, the story: I was sitting in bed, as it was early in the morning on the national deadline day (April 30, a Saturday this year) for applicants with multiple acceptances. I knew I was very high on the waitlist, but I wasn't actually expecting anything to happen this day since the deadline technically was extended to the next business day. But my phone rings, and I see the area code and city name of my #1 choice. My heart instantly skips a beat.

I answer, my voice shaking just a little. "Hi, starfun21. This is Dr. X with the Y MSTP." Of course, at this point, I instantly know why she's calling. So I start sobbing. Not even like an adorable little bit of tearing up -- I mean like a full-blown, audible cry. "How are you today?" She asks. Like an idiot, I babble back, "G-g-g-g-g-g-ood" amidst a million ugly tears. :) The director starts laughing at me, likely to get me to stop crying. She keeps trying to distract me with information and next steps, but I totally can't understand her and stupidly ask, "i-i-i-is this all going to be in an email?"

After pulling myself sort of together, I thanked the director a million times and told her that I love her and I love everything and everything is the best!!! (Yep, I later apologized for all of this in the email to confirm my acceptance -- "Thank you very much for this incredible honor, and sorry for crying so loudly into your ear!")

I video called my dad afterwards, sobbing. He figures I'm experiencing a health crisis, so he starts panicking and asking what's wrong. I finally force out the news. He cries, which is pretty much an unheard of response for him. Emailed my pre-med advisor, and he immediately responded, "HOT DOG!!!!!!" which caused me to fall over laughing. Emailed and called pretty much the rest of the world, too, ha. My friends rushed over, took me out for copious amounts of ice cream, and I spent the entire final exam weekend shaking, crying, and feeling like the most fortunate person in the entire world.

I really can't express how grateful I am to be in this position. I hope it will happen to every single person reading this!! Hugs to all, and best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 35 users
I remember reading this thread back in November, and crying because I was so moved by everyone's post, and simultaneously scared that I would never be able to post.
I waitlisted at my province school, and I was convinced that I wasn't going to get in.
We were told that we would find out today about waitlist movement. And this morning before I got the email, like the keener I am, I logged onto the application portal and saw all the acceptance documents! I received the email about an hour later, and I was called by the med school about three hours after to make sure I got the email!

I was in my lab this morning and when I first saw the letter I thought it was a mistake. And after reading it 20 times I started crying and jumped up and hugged the post doc in my lab. Then I called all my family, while crying from excitement and happiness (I cry a lot haha). I've never heard my dad be so happy. I am so relieved, I feel like I am not letting my family down.
My family have all beem posting about it on Facebook, and it's so reassuring to have so many people cheering you on.
I have had the most unproductive day in the lab because people keep calling me.

I have been eyeing a pair of boots for about 6 months, and I told myself I would buy a pair if I got in. So I am going to go home and chill with my family, relax, and actually have a sound sleep. I feel so lucky and blessed.

For Canadian students: I'm so excited for the MD backpack we get :) (so cheesy, I know)

I was in the middle of scribe training after resigning myself to the fact that I would not get into medical school. During a slight lull in the day, I decided to check my email and saw that I had a message from the admissions office. I thought, "That's strange, I thought they would wait until the first day to officially reject me." Then I opened it and didn't fully process what it was saying. There was a slight ringing in my ears and everything went slightly purple as I began to comprehend that it was an acceptance. For the next two hours I had to pretend that I was doing work. Then as soon as work was over, I frantically re-read my email on my phone like 17 times in the rain before falling to the ground and laughing maniacally.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26 users
I was at work (psych hospital), went into the break room in between assignments to check my emails as usual. Saw the email and immediately started crying and laughing at the same time lol. Ran out to tell my coworkers who have all been extremely supportive of my endeavors and they were ecstatic. Patients were like "wtf is wrong with you mcatjelly" and I told them--most of my patients have been here for months/years so we really get to know each other--and when I told them, they all enveloped me in a bear hug and told me how great a doctor I was going to be, etc. I can't even describe the amount of feels that were had hahaha.

Reactions: 11 users
I remember reading this thread back in November, and crying because I was so moved by everyone's post, and simultaneously scared that I would never be able to post.
I waitlisted at my province school, and I was convinced that I wasn't going to get in.
We were told that we would find out today about waitlist movement. And this morning before I got the email, like the keener I am, I logged onto the application portal and saw all the acceptance documents! I received the email about an hour later, and I was called by the med school about three hours after to make sure I got the email!

I was in my lab this morning and when I first saw the letter I thought it was a mistake. And after reading it 20 times I started crying and jumped up and hugged the post doc in my lab. Then I called all my family, while crying from excitement and happiness (I cry a lot haha). I've never heard my dad be so happy. I am so relieved, I feel like I am not letting my family down.
My family have all beem posting about it on Facebook, and it's so reassuring to have so many people cheering you on.
I have had the most unproductive day in the lab because people keep calling me.

I have been eyeing a pair of boots for about 6 months, and I told myself I would buy a pair if I got in. So I am going to go home and chill with my family, relax, and actually have a sound sleep. I feel so lucky and blessed.

For Canadian students: I'm so excited for the MD backpack we get :) (so cheesy, I know)
Why do you guys get backpacks

Why do you guys get backpacks
MD Financial Management - an organization that helps med students, residents, doctors, retirees with finances - gives them to all the incoming med students across Canada. I guess it's for a sense of comradery, it's a nice gift?? I'm not sure haha

MD Financial Management - an organization that helps med students, residents, doctors, retirees with finances - gives them to all the incoming med students across Canada. I guess it's for a sense of comradery, it's a nice gift?? I'm not sure haha
Wait, Canadians get backpacks?!?! That is both very dorky and kind of adorable. All we get here in the states is heaps of debt. :lol:

Similar to @bananafish94 . I was in my externship for phlebotomy, getting ready to poke some patients and got to the break room, where I got a phone call from an unknown number. I picked it up expecting nothing and was even thinking about ignoring it, but took it. It was the admissions director. I listened to her in a daze and when she was finished talking all I said was: "serious?" Then I just cried.
The next morning I woke up for my last scribe training and head out wondering if I had dreamt the whole thing... and got my email of acceptance while I was on the uber. OFFICIAL. I went in, told the chief scribe, who asked what I wanted to do - and suggested I go home. So, she gave me a hug, told me not to worry about the shift because she'd take care of it, and sent me home.

So it seemed like applicants started hearing back around this time last year.. Please post if you have!

Got my first acceptance yesterday. Incredibly hungover this morning.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

Also, when I FaceTime'd my parents and told them they started crying in joy. I have never been so happy to give them news before. Seeing that reaction validated everything I've done.

Reactions: 21 users
I look forward to seeing this thread explode tomorrow. Good luck, everybody!

Reactions: 3 users
awwww yessss my favorite time of year, reading posts in this thread and living vicariously through all of you. Hope i can post my own story in this thread one day. Good luck to everyone! :)

This and the @bananafish94 support threads from last year are my FAVORITE threads by far. Crossing my fingers, toes, and pretty much everything else that I'll be able to post here tomorrow, or at least live vicariously through everyone else's posts

Good luck to everyone!!! I'm so excited for you all. This thread is my absolute favorite on here - I've definitely shed a few tears just from reading it. I can only hope I'll get to post on here in either a year or two!! For now, it'll be the ultimate pick me up when I'm having a bad day :)

If I get into brown tomorrow I'll do 1,764 air squats

Best of luck to all you beautiful people. You only need it to work once. Have a Blue Moon for me when you get in!

Reactions: 3 users
As a Texan, we still have another month left until acceptances roll in (if it even is the case **fingerscrossed**). But I am already so excited about the start of acceptances today!! I need to sleep but so pumped up lol

Wish y'all best of luck!!!:banana:

Nervous for tomorrow. I hear back from the school i did my undergrad at :nailbiting:

I have now been trembling for 2 full hours after being accepted.

Reactions: 14 users
Still have a while to go until Texas offers start coming out on Nov 15

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted Friday to one of my top schools, found out at work and started crying... immediately left and went home to celebrate both my acceptance and anniversary with my boyfriend by chugging a bottle of champagne :soexcited:. BEST DAY EVER.

The dean of admissions at one of my top choices called me this morning and as soon as she said "congratulations" I started ugly crying and sobbing into the phone. Couldn't even formulate coherent words.

It's been almost 2 hours and I keep spontaneously bursting into tears

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
I sat there for a few seconds. As a re-applicant, my emotions are dulled a bit from the roller coaster I've been on since graduating college.

Then I cried... then I told my parents and my dad was confused by how calm I was. After that, we danced around the kitchen because this chapter is finally over.

Reactions: 10 users
A strange number called me at 8:01 am! I was so excited and my heart started beating so fast! While wondering who the heck it could be, I remembered that I haven't applied yet :/ I hit decline and rolled over to go back to sleep. Though I did so with a smile on my face thinking that exactly a year from then I'd get that phone call from a strange number and it'll be my first acceptance :)

That's what I get for reading this thread right before bed last night. Living vicariously through you guys I'm stressing myself out. Lol.

Reactions: 10 users
Saw the email, ran outside and yelled "let's gooo!" at my chickens, took my shirt off, and laid down in the grass

Reactions: 24 users
Saw the email, ran outside and yelled "let's gooo!" at my chickens, took my shirt off, and laid down in the grass

I squealed at the thought of you expressing your excitement to your chickens. I'm sure they are proud.

Reactions: 7 users
I was driving a 15 hr route with my parents and the reception was terrible. We were in the zone to make the whole journey in one day and it was my parent's anniversary. I was awaiting news from my most anticipated DO but thought they'd call the next day if news was to come. I was also under impression that they'd delay due to very good reasons. They exceeded my expectations and called early. When that area code appeared on the screen, I nearly pulled over. I didnt. Smoothly, I swiped the screen to accept the call. All I remember throughout the conversation was me appreciating the caller for the response. Because the phone was connected to the car, my mom heard the whole thing. I was just very glad that I was going somewhere but it was cherry on the cake because I really thought the facilities beat out a lot of md schools as well as the fact that the administration is top notch. This whole time I thought my emotions had made the interview seem terrible but because of how my first ii went, I didn't want my sincerity cloaked away again. Anyways, from the rear mirror, I see my mom in tears and she was sooo happy. I couldnt have imagined my acceptance delivery any better. She has been such a positive person in my life, always pushing me to never give up. I had a rough year this past gap year and when my savings ran out, she was always there for me. In fact I wasn't even going to fill out the secondary to this school because I had no finances but I am sooo glad my mom decided to give an early birthday present. I'm still waiting on hope to have more iis but now my family really thinks there is something in me to prove. I did breakdown just this week from the realization so there's that for an emotional response.

Reactions: 16 users
Just read my post almost 4 years ago for old times sake.

I envy those who are about to start. Enjoy the journey! I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 30 users
I was driving in my *technologically savvy*~~ car when I saw an unknown number from Boston. The rest is as follows;
Me: "HELLO???????
Dean: "Hi Svalley, this is Dean N from Tufts University."
Me: "HI DEAN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN" {manic giggling ensued}
Dean: "*chuckles* I think you know why I am calling..."
Me: {yelling, screeching, ugly cry laughing for 15 seconds while swerving in my lane}
Siri: "When possible...make a legal U-turn."
Dean: "Welcome to the family, drive safely."

What a day :laugh:

Reactions: 52 users