when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I knew there was a chance I could get an acceptance phone call from the Dean of Admissions last Thursday, so during lecture I sat near the door in case I needed to leave to take the call. About half way through lecture, I got a phone call with an area code from that school's city, so I shot up out of my seat to dart to the door but spilled my coffee everywhere because I jumped up so fast. Didn't care, just left anyways to take the call :p He told me they'd accepted me and I don't really remember the phone call after that. Immediately called my dad afterwards to tell him the good news, and got some weird looks during the rest of lecture for having such a giddy and dorky smile on my face. :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Some combination of these two

Jim-Halpert-Sarcastic-Fist-Pump_zps642e9a54.gif~c200

Ron-Swanson-Fist-Of-Feels-Success.gif

Reactions: 26 users
Relief. Now I can travel overseas for a few months instead of moping around at home in anticipation for an interview or acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1st acceptance: Yes, I'm going to be a doctor!
Following acceptances and interviews: Ha, I've got the power. You have to woo me. And a little bit of frustration at having to make a choice (which is a good thing, don't get me wrong...but it makes things much more difficult)

I also got a pizza, salad, chocolate cake, and a bottle of wine. It was great.

Along with the general consensus: having to wait 10 more months (and finish my Master's program) is going to be the hard part.

Reactions: 6 users
I had just gotten off work after a 12 hour shift. I'm an ICU nurse. Without going into details, this shift had been particularly gut-wrenching and difficult..one of those where I actually thought seriously about clocking out and throwing my employee badge into the first trash can I spotted. It was October 17th at 9:00 am, and I knew that one of my top choice schools would be releasing admissions decisions sometime that day. I dragged myself out to the parking garage, got in my car, and decided to check my Yahoo account just to see... Well, on my phone yahoo mail displays an "orange ball" with the number of new emails inside it when you have new messages. I refreshed and, sure enough, the orange ball popped up. Usually, it's some BS email from Expedia. But, being a neurotic premed, I checked anyway. Bleary eyed, I rested my head against the window while I opened the email. It said "Wake Forest School of Medicine Decision". It had an attachment I had to open. It seemed like an eternity, and I was thinking "PLEASE GOD" while I watched it download. The letter popped up, and I read "The Committee on Admissions is pleased to offer you a place in the first‐year class at Wake Forest School of Medicine, Class of 2021." Suddenly, I was WIDE awake and experiencing a full adrenaline dump. I read the letter (actually 3 times) and, as the realization set in, I started giggling. Suddenly the gloom lifted and it became a "rainbows and kittens" kind of day. I drove to a convenience store (still giggling), bought a Mountain Dew (one of my guilty pleasures that I had sworn off of 2 months earlier) and drank it without a single twinge of guilt as I drove home. (I know, I'm not exactly somebody that lives life on the edge...to me, getting to drink a Dew after 2 months on the caffeine wagon was a perfectly acceptable way to celebrate). I didn't pitch my badge either. Still working...until July 2017. :D

Reactions: 33 users
I had just gotten off work after a 12 hour shift. I'm an ICU nurse. Without going into details, this shift had been particularly gut-wrenching and difficult..one of those where I actually thought seriously about clocking out and throwing my employee badge into the first trash can I spotted. It was October 17th at 9:00 am, and I knew that one of my top choice schools would be releasing admissions decisions sometime that day. I dragged myself out to the parking garage, got in my car, and decided to check my Yahoo account just to see... Well, on my phone yahoo mail displays an "orange ball" with the number of new emails inside it when you have new messages. I refreshed and, sure enough, the orange ball popped up. Usually, it's some BS email from Expedia. But, being a neurotic premed, I checked anyway. Bleary eyed, I rested my head against the window while I opened the email. It said "Wake Forest School of Medicine Decision". It had an attachment I had to open. It seemed like an eternity, and I was thinking "PLEASE GOD" while I watched it download. The letter popped up, and I read "The Committee on Admissions is pleased to offer you a place in the first‐year class at Wake Forest School of Medicine, Class of 2021." Suddenly, I was WIDE awake and experiencing a full adrenaline dump. I read the letter (actually 3 times) and, as the realization set in, I started giggling. Suddenly the gloom lifted and it became a "rainbows and kittens" kind of day. I drove to a convenience store (still giggling), bought a Mountain Dew (one of my guilty pleasures that I had sworn off of 2 months earlier) and drank it without a single twinge of guilt as I drove home. (I know, I'm not exactly somebody that lives life on the edge...to me, getting to drink a Dew after 2 months on the caffeine wagon was a perfectly acceptable way to celebrate). I didn't pitch my badge either. Still working...until July 2017. :D
Wow that was a legitimately good read. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: 1 users
I was at work when I got the phone call, started hyperventilating till my fingers got numb and shaky. Must have sounded like an idiot on the other end of the call.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the best thread. I still remember the thrill of opening the acceptance letter (in those days, they didn't call you and the internet was not invented yet) and reading it over and over. I have thrown away all my meticulously taken lecture notes (no PowerPoint slides, no prerecorded videos back then) and syllabuses over the years but have kept the acceptance letter; it's in the drawer with the diploma and board certificates, showed it to my daughter when she was accepted last year.
Congratulations to all who have been accepted to medical school, and good luck to all who are still waiting to hear.

Reactions: 26 users
You guys, this thread has kept me going through this application process and I am so excited that I finally get to post my own story on here!

This is my second time applying as a non-traditional student, and this cycle had started to make me question my decision to go back to school and pursue medicine.

BUT this morning, while I was getting ready for work, I saw an email pop up on my phone. I had only interviewed a few weeks ago, so I wasn't expecting anything, but then I saw the subject line "Offered Admission." Without even reading the email I screamed, ran into the bedroom to wake my boyfriend up, and told him the good news while sobbing. I then realized that I should actually read the email, so I shot back into the bathroom to make sure it was real. It was!!! While I was crying I realized that I was going to be late to work, so I quickly tried to tame the mascara streaks on my cheeks and drove to the office in a daze. Then I called my parents (who were in shock and didn't react as wildly as I thought they would...they texted me later with more excited follow-up reactions) and proceeded to text/email everyone who's helped me along this strenuous journey.
To top it off, I got another interview (only my second!) today, so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with luck and happiness:love:

Reactions: 17 users
You guys, this thread has kept me going through this application process and I am so excited that I finally get to post my own story on here!

This is my second time applying as a non-traditional student, and this cycle had started to make me question my decision to go back to school and pursue medicine.

BUT this morning, while I was getting ready for work, I saw an email pop up on my phone. I had only interviewed a few weeks ago, so I wasn't expecting anything, but then I saw the subject line "Offered Admission." Without even reading the email I screamed, ran into the bedroom to wake my boyfriend up, and told him the good news while sobbing. I then realized that I should actually read the email, so I shot back into the bathroom to make sure it was real. It was!!! While I was crying I realized that I was going to be late to work, so I quickly tried to tame the mascara streaks on my cheeks and drove to the office in a daze. Then I called my parents (who were in shock and didn't react as wildly as I thought they would...they texted me later with more excited follow-up reactions) and proceeded to text/email everyone who's helped me along this strenuous journey.
To top it off, I got another interview (only my second!) today, so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with luck and happiness:love:

Congrats!!!

I still don't know how to react to be honest. Today was the most awesome day I have experienced in a long time, but I have been moving around like a shocked zombie all day. I'm still trying to process getting into 6 schools in one day (TX)......

Was having a great conversation at dinner and then I look down at my phone to 3, not one, but three missed calls from the same number. My phone recognized the area code as a place I interviewed at in October. I thought I couldn't possibly hear back this quick (less than a month), and then checked my voicemail. It was someone on the admissions committee and then I just was dumbfounded. I listen to the voicemail like three times to make sure I get the name right of the person I'm calling back. I call back in the bathroom (dining area is too loud) with my heart beating faster and faster, and basically just go on autopilot when I hear "Congratulations." I think I said something along the lines of "Oh my god, really?" and then "Thank you" in response. After I hang up, someone else walks out of the bathroom and says, "Good news, right? You sounded happy." I'm in a daze and just nod. Proceed to gather my stuff, walk out, and then frantically texted/called close friends and family.

So the first person I shared my first acceptance with was a total stranger in the bathroom :rofl:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
jerked it like 3 times in a row to my alltime fav vid ofc

Got the email, and sat in my seat saying "ohmygod" over and over. Couldn't believe I got this far. Needed to tell my biggest supporters first... so I drove home in the evening and surprised my parents. Twice. Mom burst into tears. So yeah, it was a great day.

I got the call this past Wednesday! Luckily it was my day off so I was chillin at home with my puppy and watching TV when I got the call. I saw the name of the city, jumped up, turned off the TV and answered the call. The dean introduced herself and said, "Congratulations! The committee met on Monday and voted unanimously to offer you an acceptance. We think you are tremendous and couldn't wait another day to contact you." I was already in tears after the introduction and was trying to not cry hysterically while I thanked her. I immediately called my boyfriend sobbing and hyperventilating and scared him because the thought something was wrong. LOL I quickly told him the news and was like, "Ok, I have to call my mom now!!!" I then called my mom at work and tried to hold it together while I asked to speak to her but as soon as she answered and I said, "Mommy?" I started crying hysterically again while I told her the news. She was in shock and burst into tears and tried to calm me down so I could actually talk and breathe!! I thought I was all done with the tears but nope!! I called my sister next and we both cried. I quickly journaled what I could remember from the call, texted my closest friends and cried for 2 hours. I can't believe this is real life!! 4 days have passed and I am still in a daze and will randomly burst into happy tears. It's such a surreal feeling!! Eeeee!! I'm sooo excited!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Was playing XBox, at 12:09 AM, email notification on my phone, my 1st prematch, texted my parents, and went back to playing XBox.
March of the Millenial....

Was playing XBox, at 12:09 AM, email notification on my phone, my 1st prematch, texted my parents, and went back to playing XBox.

xbox? console peasant confirmed

I found out when I checked my email during marching band rehearsal, and proceeded to run around the field screaming (while we were supposed to be at set), barreled into my friend and screamed "I GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!" before getting glared at by the director and drum majors and returning to my spot.

I cried. I cried a lot more than I'm proud of. I came from a garbage home and was told by a parent that I wasn't good enough to get into college. We couldn't afford to have the water heater on if it got below 50. My hair would freeze in my own bathroom after taking a shower during the winter. I got into college and ran away from home to get my education. I lived off of food stamps and squeezed every last penny so that I'd never ever EVER have to return to that quality of life. I've been able to successfully support myself without government help for a few years now.

Now I'm going to be a doctor. It's a damn dream come true.

Edit: Oh and I hugged a phlebotomist. She's pretty cool too.

Reactions: 65 users
I cried. I cried a lot more than I'm proud of. I came from a garbage home and was told by a parent that I wasn't good enough to get into college. We couldn't afford to have the water heater on if it got below 50. My hair would freeze in my own bathroom after taking a shower during the winter. I got into college and ran away from home to get my education. I lived off of food stamps and squeezed every last penny so that I'd never ever EVER have to return to that quality of life. I've been able to successfully support myself without government help for a few years now.

Now I'm going to be a doctor. It's a damn dream come true.

Edit: Oh and I hugged a phlebotomist. She's pretty cool too.

Congratulations, buddy. You deserve it.

I feel a little ashamed... but I said "Yes", then proceeded to post in the school thread BEFORE telling anyone, few minutes later I texted my family.

Very underwhelming and not at all what I thought it would be like.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm living vicariously through all of you. I'm definitely going to bookmark this thread.

I feel a little ashamed... but I said "Yes", then proceeded to post in the school thread BEFORE telling anyone, few minutes later I texted my family.

lol maybe you should take a hiatus from SDN

Reactions: 5 users

Don't sweat it. I too posted on the forum before telling any other person haha

I was avoiding checking my email the day I knew I was going to get a decision just so I wouldn't get distracted at work, but then I accidentally clicked on gmail on my bookmarks... I changed the page quickly but I saw that the school sent me an email. So I was pretty much anxious for a good 2 hours while I waited for all my coworkers to leave the lab so I can open up my email and not get all freaked in front of them. Fortunately, I got in and I let out a huge sigh of relief, fist pumped like when Kobe used to nail game winning jump shots, got a little misty eyed, and posted on SDN and left work.

Then! I got myself a large oolong milk tea with boba and rainbow jelly (splurged a little to celebrate haha) and got celebratory cream puffs to bring home and surprise my girlfriend. :woot:

Good thing too that I told her first and got a supportive response really. My parents' first reaction to my acceptance was "Oh okay. What about a scholarship? What about XYZ school? That's a better school." Never satisfied sigh :rolleyes:

Don't sweat it. I too posted on the forum before telling any other person haha

I was avoiding checking my email the day I knew I was going to get a decision just so I wouldn't get distracted at work, but then I accidentally clicked on gmail on my bookmarks... I changed the page quickly but I saw that the school sent me an email. So I was pretty much anxious for a good 2 hours while I waited for all my coworkers to leave the lab so I can open up my email and not get all freaked in front of them. Fortunately, I got in and I let out a huge sigh of relief, fist pumped like when Kobe used to nail game winning jump shots, got a little misty eyed, and posted on SDN and left work.

Then! I got myself a large oolong milk tea with boba and rainbow jelly (splurged a little to celebrate haha) and got celebratory cream puffs to bring home and surprise my girlfriend. :woot:

Good thing too that I told her first and got a supportive response really. My parents' first reaction to my acceptance was "Oh okay. What about a scholarship? What about XYZ school? That's a better school." Never satisfied sigh :rolleyes:

My Mom's exact response was "that's great." I said "wow so much enthusiasm!", she said; "that's not our top choice." I told my SO first and there were all types of confetti in iMessages lol. We are long distance so no celebratory treats over here :/

I did go buy myself a big thing of speciality guacamole from my fave restaurant over here. Cutting season so that's as far as I could go haha

I called admissions to make sure that I got it, but I tried to play it cool and come up with some BS questions to ask so it didn't seem like I was second guessing their decision. Then I did a little dance in the middle of a hallway.

Went for a run. Fastest mile I have ever done.

Reactions: 11 users
UTMB is known to send their pre match emails at 1 AM on Nov. 15 and a couple other TX med schools send it after midnight. I stayed up and didn't get any. I went to bed absolutely defeated. Woke up at like 6 AM and first thing I did was check SDN... saw someone post that in their application portal, there was a prematch withdrawal option for UTMB but he/she didn't get the email. So I checked mine and there was also a prematch withdrawal option for UTMB. I was so confused and I just stared. I honestly thought it was a mistake since I I didn't get the email that others got. I called admissions and they said they have a history of having problems sending emails to gmail users and that I was accepted. So my acceptance to medical school was ruined :( screw you gmail!!

I had my phone turned off that morning because I was focusing on some family stuff. Me and my mom were sitting in the car in the parking lot while my dad ran in the store to get something. I decided to just turn my phone on for a second to check and saw that I had a few emails and a missed call from the area of one of the schools I applied to. Checked SDN to see if anybody at any of the schools were talking about acceptances and nobody was so I didn't think anything of it. Checked the emails and two MD acceptances were there. I instantly screamed and bust into tears while my mom frantically tried to figure out what was wrong with me. lol Great moment. When I got home that day there was a third acceptance in the mailbox. Overall, a very good day.

"You strike me as a woman who has never been satisfied"

"I'm sure I don't know what you mean, you forget yourself." ;)

Never satisfied parents are tough to work with. It's especially hard when they don't understand how difficult this entire process is.

I've read through a lot of these posts and am so happy I get to share my story here :)
I got the email in the morning while eating my breakfast and started to internally freak. I read a few strories here about someone who got an acceptance and later retraction, so I literally call admissions half crying to confirm if I really got in haha. The lady was nice and said yes, and I start crying some more. I run to tell my parents in the other room and we're all just crying and so happy. This was honestly one of the best moments I've had in a long while.

Story time :clap:
It was December 8th, I was at work. Any pharmacy employee can vouch for me when I say the end of the year at a pharmacy is chaotic. I was finishing up typing a prescription at the counter when I see my dad.

"Hey dad! What's going on?" Does he have a script ready here? Hm

"Hi [nickname]!" & had some quick small talk
"So are you picking up a prescription?"

"Oh no, I got the mail today..I'm sorry to say.." ?what? I'm cautiously eyeing his body language and attempting to pick out any hidden emotion behind his words

The words leaving out of my mouth with considerable weight, "what happened?"

"I thought it was for your brother so I opened it..." (brother attends undergrad at one of my top choices there) "you're in. Congratulations!"

The suspense!!! I'm sparing you many of the details but I hugged him, teared up, turned over to my coworkers tearing up as well and couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the remainder of the work day. I came home to the acceptance packet along with bad family drama so I went up to the room and held it, savoring the moment.
I was told by the people closest to me that I wouldn't amount to much, that I should take "the easy route," that I couldn't be a doctor. Well....:whistle:

"I'm sure I don't know what you mean, you forget yourself." ;)

Never satisfied parents are tough to work with. It's especially hard when they don't understand how difficult this entire process is.
Agreed. Soon after my acceptance, my parents say "so what about the other in state schools? Pitt? What about UPenn" :mad: please don't remind me.

Saw the tuition and calculated how many years I'd be in debt and got drunk.

Reactions: 12 users
I was checking my email at work and made it through all of two sentences before I started crying in front of my coworkers. They were concerned since they knew I was waiting to hear the decision and thought I'd been rejected. Once I got my s**t back together and told them they all clapped and proceeding to mockingly call me doc for the rest of the day. It was pretty embarrassing and great lol

Reactions: 11 users
I was in the middle of an experiment with some lab mice when I checked my email and got the good news! I was so excited, but the mice were apathetic to say the least, and it was just me and them in the room. I had promised my wife that she would be the first one I told if I got an acceptance, so I just kept it to myself for the next several hours (which was no small feat, if I don't say so myself). Then I picked my wife up from class and drove her to work. The whole way I just let her tell me about her day and then just as she was about to get out of the car to go to work I was like "Hey, so before you head out... I got into med school today!" and then she was like "why the heck didn't you lead with that?!" and then we had a nice little hug before she headed off to work!

• Haha
Reactions: 25 users
This was years ago, but when I found out I got in I was taking a dump, so I guess my reaction was to wipe and flush lol

Reactions: 16 users
I screamed quietly (it was 8 am) and then ran around my living room in excitement hahaha. None of my roommates were awake, so I tried run softly...

I had already received a few acceptances when I heard back from my dream school. I was in the middle of delivering a lecture on ionic compounds to my class of 27 when I got a suspicious email from the school that read "Bored? Watch the following video for an important message." About 30 seconds in I realized that the video was an acceptance, and started crying in front of the kids. They made me re-watch the video at least 10 more times that period. Cried every time #GoBlue

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users