when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, did you get accepted to medical school, or the E2MDP thing?

EMDP2. Sent you a pm to avoid derailing.

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping this thread for tomorrow so I can hear all you wonderful peoples' stories . Won't be contributing my own tomorrow but hopefully I'll join the group later this cycle!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have flat affect, so I just said "Thanks" and went about my day.

Reactions: 5 users
I SCREAMED AND CALLED MY DAD and he laugh and smiled and then asked if I had brush my teeth this morning...as if it we were moving on the next item of business lol :)

Reactions: 15 users
I SCREAMED AND CALLED MY DAD and he laugh and smiled and then asked if I had brush my teeth this morning...as if it we were moving on the next item of business lol :)

Must’ve been hard to check your phone with a bum collarbone.

Jk - congrats!!!

...I looked at my portal update in disbelief, covered my mouth because I sit across from the president of my company. Walked to the elevator, cried some big tears, talked to my dad, cried big tears together, talked to my mom, didn't cry tears. Returned to my day.

#FourthTimeTheLastTime

Reactions: 25 users
...I looked at my portal update in disbelief, covered my mouth because I sit across from the president of my company. Walked to the elevator, cried some big tears, talked to my dad, cried big tears together, talked to my mom, didn't cry tears. Returned to my day.

#FourthTimeTheLastTime

Congratulation!! You applied 4 cycles?!? I can't believe it

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I jumped up and down like a loon at my kid's soccer practice. Luckily, a lot of the other soccer moms are doctors' wives, so they were right there with me. Plus, they've watched me learn how to be a student again over the past year and a half, so they were peripherally invested in my success as well. It still feels kinda surreal. Plus, I was expecting a phone call before the e-mail, so when I got the e-mail, I thought it would be a rejection. Ha!

Reactions: 13 users
It felt numb at first, and took some time for me to process it. I worked so hard for it all these years that when I actually got it, it hit me like a bus. The moment I opened the letter, I was like "Lol, ok. I guess I'm going to med school then. Cool." I spent the rest of the night just eating chips and watching Youtube videos. Then the next morning when I woke up, "Holy f***! I actually got into med school!!"

Last edited:
It felt numb at first, and took some time for me to process it. I worked so hard for it all these years that when I actually got it, it hit me like a bus. The moment I opened the letter, I was like "Lol, ok. I guess I'm going to med school then. Cool." I spent the rest of the night just eating chips and watching Youtube videos. Then the next morning when I woke up, "Holy f***! I actually got into med school!!"

Same! I feel like it takes a while to sink in but omg WE ARE MED STUDENTS!!!!!! Im speechless

Reactions: 5 users
Same! I feel like it takes a while to sink in but omg WE ARE MED STUDENTS!!!!!! Im speechless

Same! Everyone thought I wasn't excited. I had one of those, "Well, this is my life now" moments.

upload_2017-10-17_11-48-21.png

Reactions: 11 users
Well today was hectic. I got up at 6 AM for university since I live off campus.

I was in the middle of class, opened my email, and found a check your portal email. Needless to say, I was terrified of checking b/c nobody else had posted anything on the school's thread except for people being rejected pre-II. My thought was: oh crap... this can't be good.

So I go to the rest of my classes, take my math exam, and walk to the bus stop. I check SDN again and saw the many acceptances and had one of those f*** it moments. I quickly press it and scanned the update, saw "orientation," yelped and read the first sentence. My hand was shaking at this point because I couldn't believe it. I scared the girl next to me when I yelled "MED SCHOOL!!!!!!" in the middle of the street.

I then called my parents and texted my friends. I thanked teachers, etc. I then went on the bus, still giddy. I had to hold it all in until I went home and basically started giggling every 5 minutes. I couldn't even eat dinner properly. Ahh... I may giggle in my sleep too. Good night all, we made it. :clap:

Well today was hectic. I got up at 6 AM for university since I live off campus.

I was in the middle of class, opened my email, and found a check your portal email. Needless to say, I was terrified of checking b/c nobody else had posted anything on the school's thread except for people being rejected pre-II. My thought was: oh crap... this can't be good.

So I go to the rest of my classes, take my math exam, and walk to the bus stop. I check SDN again and saw the many acceptances and had one of those f*** it moments. I quickly press it and scanned the update, saw "orientation," yelped and read the first sentence. My hand was shaking at this point because I couldn't believe it. I scared the girl next to me when I yelled "MED SCHOOL!!!!!!" in the middle of the street.

I then called my parents and texted my friends. I thanked teachers, etc. I then went on the bus, still giddy. I had to hold it all in until I went home and basically started giggling every 5 minutes. I couldn't even eat dinner properly. Ahh... I may giggle in my sleep too. Good night all, we made it. :clap:

These posts make my heart warm. So crazy that I read this thread 4 years ago...

I am a reapplicant who did not get a single II last year. I fixed my application and reapplied and was lucky enough to get a few II early on in the cycle. I knew I could be hearing back from a school on 10/16 so all day during my 6am - 3pm shift I was neurotically checking my email, SDN, and my portal but by 3pm I had given up since it was 6pm where the school is.

So I get home and check SDN one last time... and somebody posted that their portal updated. This is a school that waitlists the majority of people they interview so when I logged into my portal and saw I was admitted I legit didn't believe it. I immediately started to tear up and I grabbed my cat and just buried my face in his hair.

My Dad has been by my side the entire cycle and edited all of my secondaries- so when he got home from work I casually threw it into conversation that it was too bad I for sure have another 4 years of school left since I got into medical school. He didn't believe me and I had to repeat it another 2 times and now every time he sees me he tells me congrats.

I am so thankful to be in this position right now because last year was so horrible and I don't know if I could afford another cycle. Congratulations to everybody admitted and to those still waiting good luck! Everything will work out in the end

Reactions: 13 users
I got a call on monday from the only school I have interviewed at so far, but it went to voicemail. The voicemail got messed up (and didn't give complete info anyway) so I wasn't sure it was an acceptance - so even though I was pretty sure that's what it was, I told nobody except the fine strangers of the internet.

After a few days of phone and email tag, I got another voicemail while at work, this one confirming the acceptance! I texted my roommate to clear her schedule "for the consumption of alcohol" and attempted to call my parents (both of which went to voicemail, this seems to be a family trend...). And then promptly burst into somewhat unexpected tears. I'm not a big crier, and I've pretty much known it was coming for two days, but here I am :)

Reactions: 6 users
I remember when I first got my acceptance into med school. I had been constantly checking my email cause I knew I was suppose to hear back at around that time in March. I’d just finished my Slimnastics class and was refreshing my email by the main entrance when my old friend Darryl walked in, since his gym class started around the time mine finished. I saw the acceptance email at the top of my inbox, and I was almost in shock. Darryl asked me what was wrong, since I was basically frozen in place, and I told him I’d just gotten into med school. He congratulated me, put his hand on my shoulder, and went into the locker room.

I was basically on LSD the rest of the day; all my senses were heightened; food tasted stronger, lights were brighter, my hearing seemed supersonic for the next 12 hours. I floated back to my dorm, banged on my suitemate (and best friend)’s door and essentially woke him up. He grumpily answered a couple minutes later and I told him breathlessly that I’d gotten in, still with the email loaded up on my phone in hand. He gave me a tired congrats and went back to sleep. I knocked on my other suitemate (and Line Brother)’s door but he wasn’t around, so I entered my room, opened up my laptop, and forwarded the email to everyone in my internal family.

My older sister cried, my younger sister told all her friends (I like to think), my father gave all thanks to the Lord, and my mother danced in her office (which she still does every now and then to this day when she’ll randomly reopen the email). I’d only gotten one interview (applied late), so my chances of getting in were slim. We’d been considering post-bacc options, but no need. I got in. On my first try. Right out of undergrad. And I’m here. And I’m gonna be a doctor. And life is tough, with 12-hr days and loans upon loans, but I earned my spot. And I couldn’t be more grateful for the opportunity I’ve been given. Now lemme get back to work!

I was completely wrecked with a stomach flu this weekend, so I was lying down in the fetal position when I got the call to say I've been accepted. I was so happy (still am), but when I got off the phone I promptly began puking again.

Monday was a rollercoaster of emotions.

Reactions: 7 users
My acceptance was the best birthday present I have ever had!!! <3

Was accepted basically at the end of the game late in May. I had almost lost hope of getting into medical school since I was a reapplicant. My MCAT was expiring so I had to retake MCAT if I needed to reapply again, which would mean more hurdles. When I was accepted I was probably the happiest person in my neighborhood. I played Skyrim for two days straight lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Lots of emotions going through my head. First, I was obviously very happy that I got in. I was excited to start a new chapter of my life. Then I had flashbacks seeing myself as that nonchalant jolly college freshman kid just moving into his dorm room completely unaware of the rough years that lies ahead of him. That made me smile in nostalgia. I was also sad because holding my medical school acceptance letter in my hand made me realize how much time has gone by.

Overall, it was a very profound bitter sweet moment for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted while I was at work yesterday!! I started shaking and tearing up, not able to process what was going on! Went to an empty break room at work and immediately called my mom crying. She thought something was wrong at first lol but then she got SUPER excited, it was a really great moment. I wanted to wait to tell her in person, but I live in another state and I'm not going to be home for another 2 months. Plus I really couldn't keep it in at that point! When I got home the first thing I did was tell my boyfriend. He gave me a giant hug and I just broke down crying in his arms. I thanked him over and over for all his support over the past few months. He read over every section of my primary, read every single one of my secondaries, was the one consoling me when I cried after getting 3 rejections BACK TO BACK IN JULY, drove me to my interviews, and was always patient with me when I was stressed out about this application process. Couldn't have done it without him! We got chipotle to celebrate, and finally opened up a 6 month old bottle of champagne that at some point turned into my "we can only open this when I get accepted" bottle of champagne lol it was a great day :hardy:

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I had just finished an interview that I was super nervous for. It actually went really well, so I was already happy, and my parents were picking me up to go home for the weekend before flying back to work. I ran in to get coffee for us before the drive home at one of my favorite local coffee places.

While waiting for the barista to make the drinks I was on my phone, and the acceptance email popped up. I didn't want to scare the poor girl making the coffee and my parents were in the car, so I just screamed on the inside and did a really awkward walk/jog with the coffees back to the car. Then I literally could not stop crying for 30 minutes out of sheer relief/joy/super relief. It was a day to remember...

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted while I was at work yesterday!! I started shaking and tearing up, not able to process what was going on! Went to an empty break room at work and immediately called my mom crying. She thought something was wrong at first lol but then she got SUPER excited, it was a really great moment. I wanted to wait to tell her in person, but I live in another state and I'm not going to be home for another 2 months. Plus I really couldn't keep it in at that point! When I got home the first thing I did was tell my boyfriend. He gave me a giant hug and I just broke down crying in his arms. I thanked him over and over for all his support over the past few months. He read over every section of my primary, read every single one of my secondaries, was the one consoling me when I cried after getting 3 rejections BACK TO BACK IN JULY, drove me to my interviews, and was always patient with me when I was stressed out about this application process. Couldn't have done it without him! We got chipotle to celebrate, and finally opened up a 6 month old bottle of champagne that at some point turned into my "we can only open this when I get accepted" bottle of champagne lol it was a great day :hardy:

Wait I also had a bottle of champagne on the wine rack that turned into the "acceptance champagne" bottle that I stared at longingly while waiting

After a long sleepless night waiting for news, finally fell asleep and was awakened very early by the email ding of my phone. Saw the address from the school. Immediate thought was, "What???" Was very anti-climatic.

Quickly read the email to confirm and went back to sleep.:hungover:

Last edited:
I yelled at the top of my lungs, terrible idea in the moment but it just kind of came out. Then called everyone I knew and told them I am going to be a doctor. I still get happy hearing that sentence.

I am going to be a doctor. I always said that as a kid and everyone just kind of laughed it off, which is fair because I was a terrible student in middle/high school. But I worked hard and I did it.

The only one that TRULY hit me like a ton of bricks was my first choice acceptance. I was working night shift as a CNA. I screamed after reading the prematch email then told my co-workers and we all cheered. Soon after I sat on the restroom floored and cried... It has been a long road.

When I got accepted, my wife was two months away from finishing college, and she was two months pregnant with our first child. I was 9 months out of undergrad (I postponed med school for a year while she finished her degree) and commuting an hour each way to work. I had burned up all my vacation time with interviews and was going in to work on Saturdays per an agreement with my boss to earn some extra time off. When that first acceptance letter came, I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders. I just sat there and smiled.

Tomorrow it'll be fifteen years since I got the big envelope. Funny to go back to page one and see how the process has changed since then.
I was thinking the same thing (it's been thirteen years for me). No e-mail, just an 8.5 x 11 paper in a large envelope. I was at work when it came, and I had my wife open and read it over the phone. I figured they wouldn't bother with a large envelope and an unfolded letter for a rejection.

My second acceptance (which was from the school I ultimately attended) came as a folded letter in a standard-sized envelope. I'm pretty sure I had my wife leave it unopened until I got home since I thought it was a waitlist or rejection letter. Imagine my surprise when I opened it and read, "Congratulations!"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
This is my third application cycle (yes, I'm dead inside) and I can't believe I can finally post here. The first year, I got zero II's. The second year, I got one II and was waitlisted. This year I was fortunate to improve enough to get multiple II's and as October 15 rolled around, I was an emotional wreck. I interviewed early at a couple of schools and knew they had decisions to give out on Monday. Around 9 am I get my first decision and I was waitlisted again... I spent the day trying to figure out what to do with my life if I had no acceptances this time around. Finally, I drove to my evening class and after parking, I grabbed my phone and saw a blinking e-mail notification. The business day was well over so when I opened it and read the one word I had been waiting to see for three years, "Congratulations!", I lost it. I sat there smiling silently for a solid 10 minutes before I could manage to string together a coherent thought. I called my mom and talked to her so much that I was super late for class. Afterwards, I got a nice celebratory burger :soexcited:

Reactions: 18 users
I can’t wait until spring to see more of these posts. This is good stuff

I got the call while I was at the airport. Started crying on the phone. Called my mom immediately after and said, "I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!" Promptly ordered a glass of wine at the airport bar.

Reactions: 6 users
I was expecting to hear back from a different school who was known to call people who were accepted. Was sitting at my work station and saw the little red 1 pop up on my mail icon on my phone, looked, and saw "[school name] admission decision." Got up from my work station, went to the break room, opened the email, and saw "Congratulations!" Ever since I started this process, I always imagined myself breaking down and crying. Idk if it was the combination of not expecting to hear back from this particular school for another week, expecting my first acceptance to be via phone call, being at work, or what but I walked back into the department and told the doctor I was working with that I got in and kept going about my work haha. Looking back, I honestly had a more profound reaction to seeing my MCAT score than being accepted to medical school for whatever reason.

TL;DR: Underwhelming reaction.

Last edited:
I was chillin at a starbucks before an interview at one of my top choices when I got an email notification. I saw within the first couple sentences of the email preview "it is my pleasure" and got the rush of a lifetime. Tears started coming on as I sent a screenshot to my close family. My dad walked in (he was parking the car) and I said "I'm going to be a doctor." He gave me a huge hug and told me how proud he was. It was everything I imagined that moment would be.

Reactions: 7 users
I was at work this morning, talking with one of my coworkers and when he left my cubicle, I reached for my phone out of habit and it was vibrating. I saw the area code and I knew.

I honestly don’t really remember what they said or I said other than accepted, stuff is coming in the mail. After we hung up, I texted people I love and told them, then closed the cubicle door and cried. It’s still hard to believe after all those years, what started as a crazy dream is actually happening.

After work I had a holiday party and got a little tipsy. And now it’s like 8:30pm and I’m soooo tired. Like a tiredness beyond tired. I think I’m emotionally exhausted and still in disbelief. I’m probably going to watch Riverdale and go to bed.

Also I should say I was absolutely useless at work after the phone call lol.

Was on my way to work when I got the email that I was accepted. The actual acceptance didn't make me cry, but thinking about all the years of hard work and hell I've been through to get here sure did.

Reactions: 14 users
I was actually at another interview (my last one in the cycle) so at the moment when I saw the email I just kinda smiled to myself and internally stopped giving a crap about my last few interviews that day. Who knows, maybe I actually ended up doing better on them because I was less nervous. Then afterwards I called my family/friends and was actually able to let out my excitement :)

I imagine this is what most reacts looked and felt like:

Cue emotional background music
https://i.giphy.com/media/jIXcTEmU5RCpO/giphy-downsized-large.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I watched this movie before going on my interview trail and remember thinking "I bet that's what getting an acceptance will feel like." I come from humble origins so this story really resonates with me...man, even weeks after I got that email I still find myself tearing up and smiling just thinking about where I'm headed. Here's to hoping the other 3 schools give me good news as well!

I hope to comment on this post in a few years...