when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CONGRATULATIONS, @TSteezy! :highfive::soexcited::highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I had already received a few acceptances when heard back from my dream school. I was in the middle of delivering a lecture on ionic compounds to my class of 27 when I got a suspicious email from the school that read "Bored? Watch the following video for an important message." About 30 seconds in I realized that the video was an acceptance, and started crying in front of the kids. They made me re-watch the video at least 10 more times that period. Cried every time #GoBlue
That's certainly one way to give out acceptances

Reactions: 6 users
I was actually at another interview during the luncheon when I found out!

The circumstance in which I found out about my first acceptance was extra sweet and could not have come at better time. I was waitlisted at 3 schools and rejected from another school (pre-II) when I was on my way to another interview across the country. During the entire flight over to this interview, I was starting to question my career-choice and tell myself I sucked at interviewing and what the hell am I doing with my life (all the crazy roller coaster emotions and sentiments we have all had in times of failure/not receiving results as we expected). Needless to say, I was super nervous for the interview I was heading to because I was going to apply some new interview tactics and spruce up my answers, since the way I was interviewing before clearly wasn't working! The interview was in the morning and the remainder of the day was tours, luncheon with students, all that jazz. During the luncheon, I peek at my phone under the table just to see if I had received any texts and check the time, nothing in particular. To my surprise, I saw on my home screen an email from a school that I had barely interviewed at like 2 weeks prior with a headline "OFFER OF ADMISSIONS" in all caps like that! I obviously had to hold back emotions, but I was screaming with happiness inside! I think I excused myself to the restroom to read the entire email and I couldn't believe what I was reading. I had literally gone from "what the heck am I doing with my life...no school wants me...I suck at interviewing..." to WHOA, I'm going to be a doctor, I can do anything!!!:soexcited:I finished the interview day off with a huge smile and sense of relief. When we were dismissed, I called my mom instantly and she cried with excitement, I texted my dad, and when I got off the phone, I cried the entire walk to my rental car lol.

I'll never forget the overwhelming happiness and sense of accomplishment I felt in that moment, it's a moment so special that no one can ever take away and it will stay engrained in my brain in moments of difficulty throughout med school.

P.S. - I ended up also getting accepted to the school that I was interviewing at the day I found out about my first acceptance! And it just so happens that I am deciding to matriculate there in July 2017. Seems like a pretty good luck charm to me:luck::love: Congrats to everyone else!:highfive:

Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The afternoon when we knew the committee would be making the calls, my husband, kids and I were sitting campfire-style around my cell phone--hoping for the best, but nodding to the unlikelihood of an oldie like mom getting into med school. When my phone vibrated and we saw the area code, the youngest and I let out a deafening scream.

Fam: "Shh. Shh. Shh. Mom! Answer it!"
Me, trying not to sound like I felt: "Hello, this is Mrs. IABL..."
Committee person: "...For every class, we like to have a voice of wisdom..."
My internal dialog: "Could we please cut to the chase? About to pass out here.....wait...............Holy....... *#@%!!!! ....He's talking about me!"
Him: "...For the Class of 2019, we would like that voice to be yours..."
Me: "Thank you. Holy cow. Thank you. Thank you. Holy *#%@. Thank you. Thank you so much..."
His internal dialog: "If she doesn't stop blubbering, I'm changing my mind."

The kids hugged me, congratulated, and went back to Adventure Time/iCarly/Call of Duty and what-not.
Husband and I sat there for at least twenty minutes staring at each other in stunned silence. His trembling hands wrapped around mine wringing with sweat. Tears streaming down my cheeks. His eyes welled up like puddles.

As my best friend for thirty years, he knew I'd been wanting it since my first med school interview...in 1982, right before life took some unexpected turns. I treasured all the times of being by his side for his happiest moments, and there he was right next to me enjoying mine just as much. Doubled the joy of it. I don't know which one of us was more excited.

Two years later, and we still drop everything once in awhile, smile from ear to ear, and know what the other is thinking--
This. really. is. happening.
Still stunned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 51 users
The afternoon when we knew the committee would be making the calls, my husband, kids and I were sitting campfire-style around my cell phone--hoping for the best, but nodding to the unlikelihood of an oldie like mom getting into to med school. When my phone vibrated and we saw the area code, the youngest and I let out a deafening scream.

My internal dialog: "Could we please cut to the chase? About to pass out here.....wait...............Holy....... *#@%!!!! ....He's talking about me!"
Me: "Thank you. Holy cow. Thank you. Thank you. Holy *#%@. Thank you. Thank you so much..."

The kids hugged me, congratulated, and went back to Adventure Time/iCarly/Call of Duty and what-not.
Husband and I sat there for at least twenty minutes staring at each other in stunned silence. His trembling hands wrapped around mine wringing with sweat. Tears streaming down my cheeks. His eyes welled up like puddles.

As my best friend for thirty years, he knew I'd been wanting it since my first med school interview...in 1982, right before life took some unexpected turns. I treasured all the times of being by his side for his happiest moments, and there he was right next to me enjoying mine just as much. Doubled the joy of it. I don't know which one of us was more excited.

Two years later, and we still drop everything once in awhile, smile from ear to ear, and know what the other is thinking--
Still stunned.

That's amazing. I believe in love again.

Reactions: 11 users
I was about to go to sleep before my first ever half-marathon. As is nightly tradition, I decided to check SDN one more time before I went to bed. Looked in the school-specific thread for my favorite state school, where I was convinced I was waitlisted since I didn't get an acceptance during their main round of acceptances. Saw that people had the option to withdraw from a prematch at this school on the TMDSAS website! I thought there was no way I would get one, but I thought I would check just in case. It was there!!! I started hyperventilating and threw my phone in excitement at my sleeping boyfriend. He was not thrilled at first, but he got over it haha. I didn't tell anyone else until I got the official email a few days later just in case it was a glitch.

This school kind of ruined all my "first" app cycle moments though (was also my first II) since I kept finding out early by people on SDN saying to check the website, but not wanting to believe since I was worried they would be glitches... It all worked out though. :p

Reactions: 3 users
I went to the club and popped champagne

Reactions: 8 users
Apathetic.

6c2c4d779ba0473113ea7f443b6b739d.jpg

The afternoon when we knew the committee would be making the calls, my husband, kids and I were sitting campfire-style around my cell phone--hoping for the best, but nodding to the unlikelihood of an oldie like mom getting into to med school. When my phone vibrated and we saw the area code, the youngest and I let out a deafening scream.

Still stunned.
You've got me crying at work! Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I knew acceptances were due to come out in the next few days, and so I was frantically refreshing SDN at work. Around noon, the school-specific thread went crazy with a bunch of people who got the acceptance email -- all at exactly the same time, meaning a mass email. Since I hadn't received an email, my heart plummeted. I thought for sure I would be in the subsequent wave of waitlists/rejections. But then I noticed a little "+1 New" notice on my 'Promotions' tab, which usually just contains spam from random companies. I clicked on the tab, and there it was -- an email from the admissions office, with a link to my acceptance video. I started to tear up, walked out of the building, and lay down in the grass outside. I just lay there for a long time. Then I called my mom, my SO, and my best friend. They all were super happy for me -- my mom cried and my best friend screamed :)

Before all of this, I wasn't sure if I'd be more excited to get my first acceptance ever, or an acceptance to one of my three dream schools (if I was lucky enough to get accepted). But I was definitely more excited by my first acceptance -- nothing could ever beat that feeling the first time it dawned on me that I'm definitely going to become a physician. I've had an incredibly lucky cycle since then, and I'm really fortunate to now have an acceptance at one of my ultimate dream schools. But I'm still most grateful to that first amazing school that gave me the opportunity to become a doctor, even though I know I'll be matriculating somewhere else. This whole experience just feels so surreal, I can't believe we've all made it here!

Reactions: 12 users
I knew acceptances were due to come out in the next few days, and so I was frantically refreshing SDN at work. Around noon, the school-specific thread went crazy with a bunch of people who got the acceptance email -- all at exactly the same time, meaning a mass email. Since I hadn't received an email, my heart plummeted. I thought for sure I would be in the subsequent wave of waitlists/rejections. But then I noticed a little "+1 New" notice on my 'Promotions' tab, which usually just contains spam from random companies. I clicked on the tab, and there it was -- an email from the admissions office, with a link to my acceptance video. I started to tear up, walked out of the building, and lay down in the grass outside. I just lay there for a long time. Then I called my mom, my SO, and my best friend. They all were super happy for me -- my mom cried and my best friend screamed :)

Before all of this, I wasn't sure if I'd be more excited to get my first acceptance ever, or an acceptance to one of my three dream schools (if I was lucky enough to get accepted). But I was definitely more excited by my first acceptance -- nothing could ever beat that feeling the first time it dawned on me that I'm definitely going to become a physician. I've had an incredibly lucky cycle since then, and I'm really fortunate to now have an acceptance at one of my ultimate dream schools. But I'm still most grateful to that first amazing school that gave me the opportunity to become a doctor, even though I know I'll be matriculating somewhere else. This whole experience just feels so surreal, I can't believe we've all made it here!

Sounds like something that would happen to me, haha. Congrats on the great cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a "self-defense" class for employees that work in the ER.

I checked my phone, then adrenaline rushing through me, I nearly broke this poor girls wrist in a demonstration exercise.

:)

I was in a "self-defense" class for employees that work in the ER.

I checked my phone, then adrenaline rushing through me, I nearly broke this poor girls wrist in a demonstration exercise.

:)
HA! I nearly took out the department head's knee during one of those things.

I had already received a few acceptances when heard back from my dream school. I was in the middle of delivering a lecture on ionic compounds to my class of 27 when I got a suspicious email from the school that read "Bored? Watch the following video for an important message." About 30 seconds in I realized that the video was an acceptance, and started crying in front of the kids. They made me re-watch the video at least 10 more times that period. Cried every time #GoBlue
I was at work when I got that email! But the link didn't work...I thought maybe I just wasn't getting service from the hospital WiFi but I had heard people that got in got a video. I thought it was too good to be true (Michigan is my dream school, and the first school I heard back from) and wouldn't believe it until I had the words in front of me. So I proceeded to jump up from my desk and ran outside onto the patio to see if I could get service. Still...the link didn't work. I saw my good friend who happened to be eating lunch out there and she started chatting and I'm pretty sure I screamed something along the lines of "CANT TALK RIGHT NOW I MAYBE JUST GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL" as I ran around trying to get service. I ended up calling the school to tell them the video didn't work and they told me the good news. As soon as I hung up I started crying. My friend and I hugged and jumped up and down and screamed and probably bothered the dozens of doctors and nurses around us trying to eat their lunch in peace. I immediately called my family and my dad cried (side note I have only seen my dad cry twice in my whole life). Then I went home and bought a bottle of wine. It was such a good day.

I was at work when I got that email! But the link didn't work...I thought maybe I just wasn't getting service from the hospital WiFi but I had heard people that got in got a video. I thought it was too good to be true (Michigan is my dream school, and the first school I heard back from) and wouldn't believe it until I had the words in front of me. So I proceeded to jump up from my desk and ran outside onto the patio to see if I could get service. Still...the link didn't work. I saw my good friend who happened to be eating lunch out there and she started chatting and I'm pretty sure I screamed something along the lines of "CANT TALK RIGHT NOW I MAYBE JUST GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL" as I ran around trying to get service. I ended up calling the school to tell them the video didn't work and they told me the good news. As soon as I hung up I started crying. My friend and I hugged and jumped up and down and screamed and probably bothered the dozens of doctors and nurses around us trying to eat their lunch in peace. I immediately called my family and my dad cried (side note I have only seen my dad cry twice in my whole life). Then I went home and bought a bottle of wine. It was such a good day.
Wine? I kinda had you figured for an appletini kind of guy. :thinking:

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats dude, see you next year!!

I smiled slightly and continued typing on the computer in the corner of a patient's room while her chemo went in.

After our visit I told the physician I was working with, who wrote a letter of recommendation for me. Told close family and friends after getting off work that evening. It was fun to tell people, you see quickly how caring they are.

1. I jumped up and down.
2. I cried. And not just regular crying, but the type of crying that completely transforms your face.
3. There was cake in my fridge. I ate more cake than a human being should ever attempt to eat.
4. Picked up the SO and drove around my town jamming to 90's gangster rap. Felt sick afterwords because of #3.
5. Thanksgiving was the next day...I partied.

Reactions: 17 users
I saw I missed a call from the area code of a school I had interviewed at and my initial reaction was no way...it's probably just a telemarketer, or this other guy I had contacted earlier that day because his mail accidentally ended up in my mailbox. So I called the number back and I was half expecting the person on the other end to say "hey, when can I pick up my mail?" but instead he introduced himself and said "we would like to make you an offer..." and I said "oh my god, really? this is my first acceptance" and then started half crying on the phone as he kept talking. And when I hung up I yelled "oh my god" which merged into a scream at the end :D Getting into this school was not even on my radar at all, I had just written it off as an impossibility and was hoping for good news from other schools instead hahaha

Reactions: 7 users
I got the email when I was on the bus to class. I sobbed and called my parents, then my mom bawled. It was great :).

I couldn't stop smiling. I then called my mom and talked to her for a really long time. The rest of the day I spent hanging out, feeling great. :)

Posting for a friend- we were studying at the library together, and he decided to check his phone right when we were leaving and walking down the stairs. Found out he had his first acceptance and then proceeded to slip down a couple of the steps (he's completely okay though- don't even know if he noticed that he almost fell down a flight of stairs). Dangerous business, these med school applications...

I'm just gonna tell the story of the morning I got accepted. I had an interview this past Monday and they told us that they would make a decision on Friday. my anxiety was so high that I woke up out of my sleep Friday morning at 3:37 AM to check my email, of course. I couldn't go back to sleep and so I ended up getting to work and still checking my email every three minutes. My coworkers got annoyed with me at that point and told me to just put my phone away and moved the phone across the room. I heard the mail chime in so I ran across the room to open it and it was an email with the status update from another school. I thought they were demanding a transcript or something because I had interviewed in December and hadn't heard back. I swear in that moment I forgot how to read. All I saw was offer, position, accept. I jumped up out my chair and shouted "I GOT IN" and immediately 15 pairs of eyes were glued to me (I work in a computer lab). I immediately called my sister, mom, and dad they all didn't answer though. My coworkers bought me lunch after and a lot of people who saw the whole thing congratulated me so it worked out haha

Reactions: 1 users
I changed my diaper. You read that right. MY diaper.

1. I jumped up and down.
2. I cried. And not just regular crying, but the type of crying that completely transforms your face.
3. There was cake in my fridge. I ate more cake than a human being should ever attempt to eat.
4. Picked up the SO and drove around my town jamming to 90's gangster rap. Felt sick afterwords because of #3.
5. Thanksgiving was the next day...I partied.

I was already singing this in my head after reading #3. #4 just feels natural.

Reactions: 4 users
Shock.... disbelief.... frozen.

Wide smile, deep breath, sparked a FAT spliff. No regrets

I was not expecting an acceptance at all when I got mine. I was eating dinner and my phone was on silent, and halfway through I looked down and saw a missed call with the area code of my very top choice and a new voicemail. I didn't say anything to my spouse, and just called and listened to the voice mail while starting to shake a little bit. Once I heard the "this is Dean X..." I started to really freak out and half listened to the rest while I said "OMG OMG OMG I just got accepted to medical school!!!" My spouse was like "what???" and we listened to the voice mail at least 5 more times before I called my mom and texted everyone I knew.

We went out immediately to celebrate and after a few drinks, I ran through the dark parking lot laughing while saying "I'm going to be a doctor!!!" It was an incredible feeling and, if I was a wizard who needed to do a Patronus charm, would definitely be the memory I would channel. I wanted to save the voicemail forever but unfortunately my phone died before I was able to back it up. I think I listened to it over 20 times to convince myself that it was real. :)

Reactions: 13 users
I was just looking at this yesterday and now I can post on it! I was checking my emails in the morning and got the acceptance offer after being waitlisted in March! I screamed like crazy and told my mom. Didn't even take a shower and went in my pajamas to my dad's office and told him the news. He was so happy, but then he was like "Yeah, but don't come in the front door next time looking like this. I have patients, and I'm pretty sure they thought your were crazy."

Just kinda breathed out. It was a rather underwhelming experience tbh.

Ha. Okay. Prepare for a sea story.

Well, the selection message doesn't come out on the weekends, because no one is working at PERS. So our command had a 96-hour liberty over the weekend, where we had Friday-Monday off for the holiday. However, we are in 4-section duty, so everyone had to work at least one of those days (duty is a 24 hour shift with watches and extra duties; 4-section means we stand a duty day every 4 days on top of our mon-fri work schedule).

My duty day was Saturday, and so when I went home Thursday afternoon, I did not expect to find anything out over the weekend. I walked into the ship Saturday morning and ran into a LT that I had discussed the program with a few times, and he asked me, "Have you heard?"

And not thinking about med school, I said, "Have I heard what?"

He stuck out his hand and said, "Congratulations."

We shook, but I still didn't put two and two together, which is embarrassing since my bachelors is in mathematics. I said, "...on what?"

He laughed and said, "You were selected for the medical degree program at USUHS. The message came across last night."

"You're ****ing with me."

He laughed again and assured me that he was not, indeed, ****ing with me. I thanked him again, thanked Jesus, and went to find someone to check message traffic to confirm it while I called my wife.

While we were celebrating over the phone (since of course I found out while I was on duty and couldn't go home), my buddy found me to let me know he saw the message himself and that he had it pulled up for me to read. After I read it myself, I called my parents who proceeded to flip out.

I still had to stand duty, but it made the armed 5-hour watch fly by. I went home Sunday morning and met my wife at church, and spent the rest of the holiday weekend planning our move.

Yesterday, my Commanding Officer found me and congratulated me in person before announcing it over the PA system. It was still so surreal. I had to read the message again Tuesday morning to make sure it wasn't a dream.

I am still just so excited. I just found out my orders will be cut next week, and my parents are going to look at houses for us on Friday. I have a month left before going on transfer leave, and then we really kick the move into high gear.

I'm just super honored to be a part of this, and I thank God it's come together.

Reactions: 30 users
I started crying in disbelief when I saw the acceptance email. I was expecting it to be a waitlisted email because my school phones people first then sends an email. I never received a phone call so I kind of assumed I was put on the waitlist. Two lines into the email and I realize this wasn't the case. I was never so delighted to see the word "congratulations!". I was crying so loud the people in the office opposite to the one I was in probably thought someone had died. Then my friend came in, closed the door, and I cried while screaming on her shoulder. Then we sad down and I was expressing my happiness to her while still sounding like a seal giving birth. Called my family and every one of them cried on the phone. Then I met with my mother to have a celebratory meal together.

My wife and I were driving up a mountain in the rain, fog and pitch dark in OR for our honeymoon as midnight rolled around in our resident time zone. Pre-match offers were being extended from my #1 at midnight. While following the GPS on my phone, I see an email alert flash on my screen from the school. I pull over and read it and my wife and I erupted into celebration! Accepted to my #1!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile