Where are the possible places you will be stationed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

localmotion2189

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I took the HPSP naval scholarship, is it possible I will be stationed at ANY US naval base? If so, where will I most likely be stationed? I know you can list a preference but I've heard that even getting ANY of your choices are pretty slim. I was just wondering because I was interested in getting stationed overseas at the Yokosuka naval base in Japan. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told straight out of school you'll most likely be stationed at a really large base like San Diego. Then you work with your detailed who works to arrange your next duty assignments on a 3 year basis. I heard the bases in Japan are pretty large so if you have a specific desire to go there I don't think it will be a problem.

However, I heard often if you want a specific duty assignment, say a base in Japan, your detailer will be able to get you there if you do an assignment somewhere else for a few months.

Any Navy dentists in here to validate this or clarify?

You can certainly get stationed in Japan, but it won't be your first year. After the first year, you're generally looking at either a carrier or amphibious assault ship (LHA, LHD, LSD, LPD), one of the Marine battalions (Lejeune, Pendleton, Okinawa/Guam), Japan (Yokosuka, Sasebo, or one of several other bases there), or a remote station such as Bahrain, Diego Garcia, 29 Palms (in CA), MCAS Yuma (in AZ) or possibly Guam. It all depends on what billets are opening at that time (and no, I don't know what will be open when your time comes).

I've been told straight out of school you'll most likely be stationed at a really large base like San Diego. Then you work with your detailed who works to arrange your next duty assignments on a 3 year basis. I heard the bases in Japan are pretty large so if you have a specific desire to go there I don't think it will be a problem.

However, I heard often if you want a specific duty assignment, say a base in Japan, your detailer will be able to get you there if you do an assignment somewhere else for a few months.

Any Navy dentists in here to validate this or clarify?

Most duty stations are two years, unless you're going overseas and are bringing your family - then they are three years. If Japan is open and you wanted it, you'd probably have a decent chance but it all depends on operational needs and available billets.

As for the latter part of your question, I wouldn't say that's true - you generally would have to finish your entire tour at the other duty station before moving to a new duty station. Sometimes they'll cut you loose after a shorter time (minimum time on station) but that's not the norm and is usually done when there's a pressing operational need or if they want you to go to training/residency early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great info! Thank you vellnueve!

Great info! Thank you vellnueve!

It varies year to year. The detailer this year notified us that you could get stationed here for Credentialing tours:

Parris Island, SC
Great Lakes, IL
Kings Bay, GA
Mayport, FL
Jacksonville, NC (Camp Lejeune)
Millington, TN
Gulf Port, MS
Meridian, MS
Okinawa, JP
Iwakuni, JP
Yokosuka, JP

Of course there are other dental clinics as well.

AEGDs and GPR's include:
San Diego, CA
Camp Pendleton, CA
Great Lakes, IL
Norfolk, VA
Portsmouth, VA
Jacksonville, NC (Camp Lejeune)
Bethesda, MD

That'll give you an idea of some of the bases.

I know
Bremerton, WA has a clinic - just wasn't available.

Anyone else with more insight that cares to add other potential destinations, I'd love to hear it as well.

Most of the credentialers end up at Parris Island, MCRD San Diego, or Great Lakes because of the volume of patients - very few go to the other clinics. Those main credentialing sites are beneficial because they have some mentoring and are probably a bit better at transitioning the raw dental student into Navy dentistry (there's quite a bit to learn aside from the straight clinical stuff). We only have two credentialers at my clinic and it's the biggest one in the Navy.

I should add the caveat to Smills91 that those are the places you'll do your first year as a credentialer or PGY-1 resident. After that, you're looking at the places I listed - as well as Seabee battalion bases (Gulfport, MS and one in CA)

Most of the credentialers end up at Parris Island, MCRD San Diego, or Great Lakes because of the volume of patients - very few go to the other clinics. Those main credentialing sites are beneficial because they have some mentoring and are probably a bit better at transitioning the raw dental student into Navy dentistry (there's quite a bit to learn aside from the straight clinical stuff). We only have two credentialers at my clinic and it's the biggest one in the Navy.

I should add the caveat to Smills91 that those are the places you'll do your first year as a credentialer or PGY-1 resident. After that, you're looking at the places I listed - as well as Seabee battalion bases (Gulfport, MS and one in CA)

I was just going off what the Detailer told me was available for this year. I heard their were 10 billets at Parris Island, 1 or 2 in the Mayport/Kings Bay, and 3 in the Chicago base. Other than that I'm clueless.

Curious to know if the detailer says Okinawa is available, the likelihood of getting it if placed #1 on your preference list of going there.

I was just going off what the Detailer told me was available for this year. I heard their were 10 billets at Parris Island, 1 or 2 in the Mayport/Kings Bay, and 3 in the Chicago base. Other than that I'm clueless.

Curious to know if the detailer says Okinawa is available, the likelihood of getting it if placed #1 on your preference list of going there.

When did you speak with the detailer?

My classmate was recently offered a choice of Great Lakes, Norfolk, Camp Lejeune, Paris Island and Okinawa. This was a few weeks ago. I still need to call the detailer myself.

When did you speak with the detailer?

My classmate was recently offered a choice of Great Lakes, Norfolk, Camp Lejeune, Paris Island and Okinawa. This was a few weeks ago. I still need to call the detailer myself.

Well unless he's doing the AEGD, Norfolk isn't an option. All the others were offered as I stated above and you don't get to pick. You pick your top 3 preferences and he tries to match you up according with all the other applicants to get an idea of where people would like to go. You'll probably get a top 3 choice, but you may not be getting your #1 choice. The needs of the Navy come first.

I spoke with him last Monday, he was in the process of making assignment. We'll probably find out in the next couple weeks where we'll be assigned and receive actual orders probably within a couple months from then.

Norfolk may very well be an option, there are several credentialers there right now - however they don't usually send many to Norfolk because like most of the shore clinics it is not really set up to mentor the inexperienced dentist straight out of school that well (unless you are enrolled in the AEGD of course). Same would go for Mayport/Kings Bay etc.

The availabilities change rapidly as orders are written and slots are taken, slots open up, etc, so what his classmate was told several weeks ago may have been accurate at that time and may still be. I would imagine Okinawa orders would be for three years because it costs quite a bit to move you there, and I personally haven't heard of any credentialers going out there (I do know a few officers are slotted for Okinawa following the completion of their PGY-1 programs).

I'm guessing you guys are east of the Mississippi based on what was offered - best bets are that you end up at Great Lakes or Parris Island, either of which should be a good experience and get you up to full speed.

There are many, many more clinics CONUS than the ones listed thus far - but there is a very low likelihood that someone straight out of school will be sent to one of them.

Norfolk may very well be an option, there are several credentialers there right now - however they don't usually send many to Norfolk because like most of the shore clinics it is not really set up to mentor the inexperienced dentist straight out of school that well (unless you are enrolled in the AEGD of course). Same would go for Mayport/Kings Bay etc.

The availabilities change rapidly as orders are written and slots are taken, slots open up, etc, so what his classmate was told several weeks ago may have been accurate at that time and may still be. I would imagine Okinawa orders would be for three years because it costs quite a bit to move you there, and I personally haven't heard of any credentialers going out there (I do know a few officers are slotted for Okinawa following the completion of their PGY-1 programs).

I'm guessing you guys are east of the Mississippi based on what was offered - best bets are that you end up at Great Lakes or Parris Island, either of which should be a good experience and get you up to full speed.

There are many, many more clinics CONUS than the ones listed thus far - but there is a very low likelihood that someone straight out of school will be sent to one of them.

Is there a website where all of the CONUS clinics are listed? What about the Comp dentists, I've heard they go to different areas than the AEGD/PGY-1 guys..is that true?

Go look at a list of all Navy bases, they'll mostly all have at least one. Some may use contractors or retired military, so not all would be open.

Comp dentists will go to many of the same places as your AEGD/GPR trained... But that extra training will be considered when they write the orders. Many will become department heads on carriers or in locations where there are fewer officers and they need a more self sufficient dentist. The vast majority of comp dentists will be O4 and up so that also plays into it.

My husband is graduating from dental school May 2013 and just received his options for his credentialing year: 1) Parris Island, SC; 2) Camp Lejeune, NC; 3) 29 Palms, CA; or 4) Lemoore, CA.

Can anyone provide me with info on these bases. I've heard bad things about 29 Palms but don't know much about the other ones.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Parris Island is one of two recruit depots for the Marines. Camp Lejeune is the primary East Coast base for Marine ground forces. 29 Palms is the jumping off point for most West Coast Marine expeditionary forces. Lemoore is the home of the Navy's West Coast fighter squadrons.

I was set to go to Okinawa before I tore my ACL (this year). If you want it... you should get the spot without a problem. Also, other JP base locations are offered. They are easier to get than you think.

Kevin

I was set to go to Okinawa before I tore my ACL (this year). If you want it... you should get the spot without a problem. Also, other JP base locations are offered. They are easier to get than you think.

Kevin

Were you headed to Camp Lester (the Naval Hospital)? Do you know how many spots they had open? :)

Had no idea. If you really want to know... PM me and I will forward you my bigs information.

To revive an old thread, can anyone attest to the OCONUS opportunities for NAVY dentists? Specifically, is there any opportunity to be stationed in Europe other than Sigonella, Naples, or Rota? IE, Ramstein or one of the RAF bases? I know those are more Army/AF gigs for the most part, but I wondered if anyone's ever heard of a Navy dentist being stationed north of the Alps.

To revive an old thread, can anyone attest to the OCONUS opportunities for NAVY dentists? Specifically, is there any opportunity to be stationed in Europe other than Sigonella, Naples, or Rota? IE, Ramstein or one of the RAF bases? I know those are more Army/AF gigs for the most part, but I wondered if anyone's ever heard of a Navy dentist being stationed north of the Alps.

Those that you mentioned are the big 3 for the Navy in Europe. The last I heard was that there were Comp billets in St. Mawgan, Cornwall, England, Lisbon, Portugal (NATO billet), and on the USS Mount Whitney, 6th Fleet Flagship in Gaetta, Italy.

Just to clarify here. OCONUS as a junior LT means Diego Garcia, Bahrain, or Japan. Anything else is like drawing a winning lotto ticket.

Hi Navy Dentist,

I am a GP and I will like to know more about the Perio program at the Navy. How does it work? Pretty much basic information.

Any input will be really appreciated!! : )

Does anyone here know what bases you can be stationed at for the Army?