MD & DO Where did I go wrong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherwannaBdoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time applicant (2017-2018 cycle), applied to 13 schools (all MD schools, mistake #1) and submitted all my secondaries by sept 1st. As of today 1/24/18 I have received 9 rejections, 2 holds, and 2 interviews (ECU/UNC interviewed for both back in Sept and Oct). I have yet to hear anything from either School so I am assuming I will have to wait until march/april to get a response now.

I have my fingers crossed but I'm getting to the point where If I don't start planning for next cycle I don't think it will be possible for me to make any major improvements by the time it comes to start applying. I am willing to do anything besides post grad work. I am not aiming for a top tier school, choice 1) state MD, back up choice 2) anywhere I can get in.

My big thing is next cycle I will for sure apply DO, but I am wondering If I should quit my job and start working in research or if its worth retaking the MCAT and aiming 515+, I feel like I am just too "middle of the pack". Did I miss any boxes to check before applying? Should I focus on just trying to increase my hours? I just do not know what to do with potentially the next year of my life.

Residency: North Carolina
School List:
R: USUSH, WVU, MSU, Utah, Arizona, Wake, USC (south carolina), VCU, U Washingston
H: EVMS/Alabama
I: ECU/UNC
MAJOR/MINOR: Biology/Chem
Undergrad: State University
cGPA: 3.45 (both have an upward trend ~3.2 fresh/soph, ~3.7 jun/sen)
sGPA: 3.5
minor GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 511
paid Clinical: 1500 hours work as a medical assistant in a doctors office
Volunteer clinical: 750 hours volunteer EMS
Volunteer general: 200 hours community volunteer various events
Shadowing: 110ish hour total between ED/Cardiologist/Primary care
Research:none
Leadership: 3 years of significant leadership roles
LOR: 6 total - 3 professors, 2 MD's, 1 Dean of Students (undergrad)

Members don't see this ad.

There is a lot of wait list movement after May 1st so you could still receive an acceptance from either ECU or UNC. Outside of your state schools you applied to several schools that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state such as U Washington, MSU, Arizona, Utah, Alabama. If you reapply consider these OOS schools instead:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
Tulane
NOVA MD
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Roseman, Kaiser)
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to several.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand, gap years are best to focus on what you need to improve on for your application. If you are really unwilling to do an SMP/post bacc for your GPA, then definitely apply to more DO schools.

I think your GPA truthfully is more lacking than your MCAT (although you do have an upward trend) and that a 511 is iffy to retake. If you do get a 515, some schools will look at both and average the 2 together making it a 513. Every school looks at MCAT retakes differently and I'm not one who knows much on the matter, but I think it may be risky unless you are 100% confident you can get 517+ honestly. If you can get involved in research, I think it would be good to add but not necessary due to your great clinical hours/volunteer hours. Also, WVU is heavily biased against OOS, despite their 16% interview rate last cycle due to ties to the state...just an FYI if you didn't know.

I actually think your biggest mistake was applying to only 13 schools AND submitting so late. You got 2 II's which is pretty good for 13 MD schools and for submitting towards the later end of the cycle. If you end up re-applying this cycle, I would shoot for ~20 schools and apply as early as possible...all secondaries should ideally be submitted by mid-late July. Also, if you're a re-applicant, you will likely have to re-write your secondaries for all schools already applied to since schools want to see growth from last year's application. If you have any other questions, PM me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to more schools include DO's and you should be fine next cycle.

I'm beginning to realize I don't think I researched schools as well as I thought I did, I'm super Iffy on retaking my MCAT because 1) I don't know if it would really help me and 2) from everything I've read i'm in a super risky score range to retake it. I think I'm going to try a summer doctor program to help overcome my GPA

I'm beginning to realize I don't think I researched schools as well as I thought I did, I'm super Iffy on retaking my MCAT because 1) I don't know if it would really help me and 2) from everything I've read i'm in a super risky score range to retake it. I think I'm going to try a summer doctor program to help overcome my GPA

You do not need to retake the MCAT with your score you will at least get a DO acceptance, potentially even an MD acceptance as well.

Original question: where did I go wrong. Answer: your school list.

You had good yield where expected, and poor yield where expected.

You got two IIs! Most people only get one, if they get any at all. The app to U WA was a donation, as was UAB.
First time applicant (2017-2018 cycle), applied to 13 schools (all MD schools, mistake #1) and submitted all my secondaries by sept 1st. As of today 1/24/18 I have received 9 rejections, 2 holds, and 2 interviews (ECU/UNC interviewed for both back in Sept and Oct). I have yet to hear anything from either School so I am assuming I will have to wait until march/april to get a response now.

I have my fingers crossed but I'm getting to the point where If I don't start planning for next cycle I don't think it will be possible for me to make any major improvements by the time it comes to start applying. I am willing to do anything besides post grad work. I am not aiming for a top tier school, choice 1) state MD, back up choice 2) anywhere I can get in.

My big thing is next cycle I will for sure apply DO, but I am wondering If I should quit my job and start working in research or if its worth retaking the MCAT and aiming 515+, I feel like I am just too "middle of the pack". Did I miss any boxes to check before applying? Should I focus on just trying to increase my hours? I just do not know what to do with potentially the next year of my life.

Residency: North Carolina
School List:
R: USUSH, WVU, MSU, Utah, Arizona, Wake, USC (south carolina), VCU, U Washingston
H: EVMS/Alabama
I: ECU/UNC
MAJOR/MINOR: Biology/Chem
Undergrad: State University
cGPA: 3.45 (both have an upward trend ~3.2 fresh/soph, ~3.7 jun/sen)
sGPA: 3.5
minor GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 511
paid Clinical: 1500 hours work as a medical assistant in a doctors office
Volunteer clinical: 750 hours volunteer EMS
Volunteer general: 200 hours community volunteer various events
Shadowing: 110ish hour total between ED/Cardiologist/Primary care
Research:none
Leadership: 3 years of significant leadership roles
LOR: 6 total - 3 professors, 2 MD's, 1 Dean of Students (undergrad)