Where did you have a *great* student EM rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Posted anonymously via SDN Away Rotation Review Google Form

Greenville Health System/University of South Carolina

Type of Elective: EM Clerkship/Sub-Internship
SLOE Experience: Sent SLOE in a timely manner
Required exam: NBME exam
Interview offered during rotation: Yes
Would you recommend this rotation to others: Yes

Comments on rotation experience:

14 shifts split among the main hospital, community sites (3 shifts), and peds ED (1 shift). Students invited to resident events that happen during the rotation.. Work directly with faculty, not residents, although that might change as they add more resident classes (they had only PGY2s and brand new PGY1s when I was there). Majority of faculty came specifically to start the residency a few years ago, and as such are very engaged in teaching. They do a casual interview during the rotation - as the PD said, you're basically doing a month long interview, they don't need to make you put on a suit and answer boiler-plate questions for an afternoon. Short presentation at the end of rotation on an interesting patient case. Overall had a fabulous experience and would highly recommend this rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn

Required exam: None
Interview offered during rotation:
No, and interview is not guaranteed to rotators

15 shifts between two hospitals. Technically a university and county hospital, but both are pretty much county set up. Patients mainly from West Indies. Just like any program in NYC, you'll be placing IVs and having to transport patients. High volume adult EDs so you will be busy and see a lot. The critical care side handles all the high acuity and traumas at Kings. Faculty are helpful, and residents are very laidback and friendly. You will definitely work hard, but I recommend.

Los Angeles County Harbor UCLA Medical Center

Yes

13-14 shifts for the month (they give you the master schedule during orientation and let you schedule your own shifts), 1 required nursing shift, 1 required EMS ride along (awesome experience), and weekly conference is mandatory for Sub-I's.

Overall, an AMAZING rotation. Everyone at Harbor was friendly and I felt like I was an integral part of the team as a sub-i. Harbor is unique in that they have 1 hour of protected time at the beginning and end fo every shift for "teaching rounds" where the oncoming and off-going team do hand-off in a separate, private room and the senior resident/attending teach - very cool.

Dr. Pedigo, the clerkship director, is amazing, he will meet with you roughly halfway through the rotation and provide you with feedback regarding your performance as well as his thoughts on your overall application/competitiveness. His transparency is such a breath of fresh air, he will verbatim read you your shift evaluation cards and tell you how they would potentially align with you overall course grade/SLOE.

The EMS ride along was dope. The patient population is very sick and very grateful that you are providing them care. There is no lack of crazy traumas, the proximity of Harbor to south central makes for some wtf type trauma presentations. If you want this away rotation make sure you submit your application on VSAS promptly when it opens as I was told this is very important at this institution.

Members don't see this ad :)

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai/St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center

Required exam: In house exam and presentation
No, but interview is guaranteed to rotators

Pros: Amazing experience despite this being my 3rd away rotation. I felt rejuvenated during this away because of the residents and faculty here. I loved the brilliant but easy going faculty and the resident camaraderie. The physicians weekly resident get together on conference days made me feel relaxed and getting to know the residents outside the ED made working with them in the ED that much better. I worked 1 on 1 with attendings and a few shifts with the PD and the APD. You rotate between mount sinai st lukes which is your busy sick underserved county population and mount sinai west which is the more fancy tertiary complex patients. At st lukes I was always kept busy. I really had the opportunity to function as an intern and tried to pick up at least 1 patient per hour. The resuscitation bay had 2 beds but was always busy. There was one shift where I was bouncing between both resus beds and had the fortunate opportunity to do FAST exams, 2 crash central lines, and a few IO access. I felt like there was a good vibe of pushing yourself past your comfort level to keep on improving. I like their conference structure which has about an hour of interactive discussion in the beginning and then breaks out into small groups and the rotators had their own group to go around the small group stations. Conference always had breakfast and lunch provided and the food was always delicious. The residents are a tight group between all 3 years and on conference days often play basketball together, spikeball, and then at night meet up for the physicians weekly dinner and drinks. Also they often do a movie night at their mount sinai housing because one of the residents has a projector. The mount sinai shuttle or what the residents call it "jitney" seems really convenient to go to the st lukes hospital so you don't have to pay for the subway. Also the housing is subsidized which helps a lot especially since Manhattan is crazy expensive. With st lukes being the county experience and roosevelt/west being the tertiary center, the residency has mount sinai beth israel as the community experience and is improving the community autonomy exposure at this site because of previous feedback. I'm a bit bummed the rotators didn't get to do a shift at the community site to see what it is like.

Cons: i didn't see much trauma but all programs in manhattan will see less trauma but there is a month of trauma rotation in the second year to big trauma centers like shock trauma. Manhattan is expensive but it is only for 3 years. Not the program for you if you miss driving a car or currently have a car you will probably need to sell the car. The program directors just switched so the old APD is the new PD but that happens at a lot of programs and probably doesn't affect much. No meal plan or free food except for conference days. 12 hour shifts in the intern year if you can't stand 12s. 9s, 10s, and 12s in 2nd and 3rd year is bad in case you only want 8 hr shifts throughout residency.

Overall impression is that this is an amazing well rounded program with county, community, and tertiary ED hospital exposures with happy, smart, and chill residents. Wellness is really taken seriously at this program and that is really important to me. I heard great things from friends about this program but it has only exceeded my expectations. Going to keep my fingers crossed.

John H Stroger Hospital of Cook County

Fantastic faculty, learned more here than anywhere else. The residents are all really cool and some of the most capable I've seen. Almost full autonomy. 13 shifts only 8 hours each. Didactics are only 1-3 hours long mondays and you are dismissed from shift for the time if they overlap. Lots of free time to explore and have fun in Chicago.

Yale-New Haven Medical Center

SLOE Experience: Sent SLOE considerably late
Would you recommend this rotation to others: No

Fairly well organized rotation. 15-16 shifts that are 8-9 hours, two tape sessions, weekly didactic for 5 hours, and two simulation mornings. You are scheduled in either the A or B side. A being more acute and managing the resuscitation rooms, while you run through more patients on the B side. You do not full autonomy at the rotation. You either report directly to the senior, both the senior/attending, or just the attending. You have access to Epic, but you do not write notes, input orders, or do the discharge. You will, of course, follow up on patients, usually perform the procedures and ultrasound, call consults, and arrange admission. The difficulty is that since you are not the primary medical provider, if the ED picks up pace, you are easily left behind and will not see very many patients on shift. The resuscitation rooms are either stroke, trauma, modified trauma, medical alert. You will usually watch and may occasionally do the FAST exam, but airway management is handled by the senior resident and consulting services arrive quickly. You will do some lac repairs and may help with chest tube or paracentesis. They started having a teaching resident that works 1:1 with you for about half of your shift. This allows more autonomy, but still is not a true subinternship relationship.

With the education requirements and consistent shifts, you will not have too many days off. There was a time where I was doing something for 14 straight days. The residents and faculty are pretty nice, but a lot of interaction is dependent on your ability to initiate conversation.

The SLOE can take up to one month to upload and you must send medhub evals to the attendings and residents of your choice. There is absolutely no written or exam component used on the SLOE.

New Haven is bland and mainly geared towards undergraduate Yale Students. Try to have a car to explore other areas throughout Connecticut. Airbnb is expensive and many areas are considered 'unsafe' per Yaleem.org website advice. If you wish to walk to the hospital, it will be pricey.

Overall, the lack of autonomy and the less than ideal engagement with faculty and residents made this rotation less than stellar in my opinion. The ultrasound experience was amazing and I highly recommend trying to do an ultrasound rotation here instead. Schedule earlier in the season if you need a SLOE before September 15th.

University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago

Required exam: In-House final exam (written in 2013, multiple choice)
Yes

I loved this rotation, but it depends on the site you get. I was at Illinois Masonic, much smaller than expected but great medical student coordinator and great faculty. Lots of bread and butter type EM. My only comment is they are no longer taking students that aren't on schedule with them which sucks because that may limit how many can actually rotate there.

St. John Hospital and Medical Center (Michigan)

Required exam: Wayne State Exam

St. John was an awesome rotation. It is a very unique hospital that sits on the Eastside of Detroit and affluent Grosse Pointe. It is one of the busiest ED's in the State of Michigan, so you will see a lot of patients with diverse/unique backgrounds. This ED is very hands-on. I was given an opportunity to do multiple laceration repairs, put in two central lines, and even intubate a patient with supervision. Most of the attendings and residents are very nice, and willing to teach. The shift schedule consists of 14-15 shifts, with a good mix of days, nights, and weekends. I like the fact that they have large rooms for each patient, and also liked that the medical staff sits with the nursing staff because it made for effective communication.

Emory University

Required exam: SAEM exam
Interview offered during rotation and they schedule a follow up phone call later on in the cycle

Required 13 shifts, one has to be an EMS ride along shift (12 hours technically but you can leave after 8 hours). They work 8 hour shifts (7-3, 3-11, 11-7). You are required to have a few at each of their three locations. Emory main campus is a tertiary center with a lot of weird pathology but not very sick patients, Emory midtown campus is community, and Grady is as county as county can get (their trauma center is crazy). You have access to EPIC at Grady and the peds hospitals (there are 2 different campuses to choose from), and cerner for midtown and main but not expected to write notes or put in orders. Expected to reach out and follow up with 2 patients (based on the honor system so they're not double checking), they have a checklist of cases and procedures they want you to do which is easy to get since most of your shifts will likely be at Grady. They assign you to a faculty member that you stick with for a few shifts and then you work with some of the rest of their 100+ faculty members otherwise. The faculty is great for the most part, they range from those who love to teach to those who want you to learn but aren't really passionate about education (those are mostly at Midtown). No one is malignant. The residents are very nice and will let you present to them first so they can help you refine your presentation and blow away the attending. Students carry their patient primarily and present and follow up throughout the shift, you'll see a few patients every shift. Procedural exposure will depend on the residents and attending and how comfortable they are and how busy they are.

We (Ocala) had a med student help with a thoracotomy (perform cardiac massage), intubate 1 patient, and place 2 central lines, in one shift. She called it the second best day of her life next to the day she was proposed to. We will only have a PGY1 and PGY2 class next year so we hope to have opportunities for med students to get just as involved as our first year. PM me if you have any questions about Ocala EM

On the interview trail last year I heard that the PD at Ocala was asked about the program's thoughts on wellness by an interviewee. His response was something along the lines of "who cares about wellness, residents are supposed to have a difficult time". I ended up turning down my late season interview because of this. The program lost interviewees and dropped significantly in others' rank lists because of this statement about wellness. I recommend they make an effort to clarify or correct this perception of their program during this interview season.

Great stuff but tough to navigate. Any chance we can get a compiled list of all programs evaluated going with a simple recommend or no next to them? Even better if each had a link to its evaluation in the thread. I'd do it myself but I'm currently on my surgery rotation and barely have time for a decent bowel movement.

Great stuff but tough to navigate. Any chance we can get a compiled list of all programs evaluated going with a simple recommend or no next to them? Even better if each had a link to its evaluation in the thread. I'd do it myself but I'm currently on my surgery rotation and barely have time for a decent bowel movement.
This might meet your requirements, look at the "do you recommend...?" column.

2017-2018 Results viewable here: Official 2017-2018 Emergency Medicine Application and Interview Sheet
2018-2019 Results viewable here: Official 2018-2019 Emergency Medicine Application and Interview Spreadsheet

Reactions: 2 users

Palmetto Health/University of South Carolina School of Medicine

Required exam: Institutional exam
Yes

14 shifts. 1 is pediatric. All shifts are at Palmetto Richland. Scrubs are provided to borrow. You work with the senior resident and report directly to them. Many times they let you present to the attending, especially if he/she is involved with the residency program. You have access to the EHR(Cerner) but are expected to bring your own laptop because computers are limited during certain times of the day. Unless it's a night shift or early in the morning, you'll be using your computer. This sounds like a negative but honestly it's helpful because all of your personal resources are quickly available to help with your differential and plan. You will never have two students on the same shift in the same pod.

Residents are awesome, especially the seniors. They don't try to pimp you, just teaching. Most of the attendings are great too. They will essentially let you see any acuity of patient on your own. It wasn't like this on other rotations and I appreciated the learning experience. There are plenty of procedures. Many of the AI students got intubations, central lines, chest tubes, reductions, etc. Lots of sick patients. Gets very busy. EM has airway on all traumas. The student also gets to do the FAST exam. US is big and all residents/attendings are comfortable with it.

Didactics are once every week with the residents for 5 hours. There are also student lectures once or twice during the month. There are two SIM days. The first is a resident SIM day where you act as a nurse/tech. The second is just for the students and are bread & butter EM cases that are led by attendings/residents. Very helpful. SIM center is really big with procedure labs. There is a procedure day where you practice intubation, central lines, chest tube, IO, etc. Optional EMS shifts with Richland County.

There is an introduction event the first week at a local bar which was fun. Lots of faculty and residents showed up. They provide the food but you pay for your drinks at a discounted price. Journal club is held once every month at one of the attendings homes. Fun and laid back with free food and drinks. They give mid-rotation feedback to tell you how you're doing. They offer early interviews for all rotators if you want to do it while there. The interview was very laid back and conversational. 2 residents, 1 faculty and the PD. The end of rotation exam is written by faculty. They give you access to HIPPO EM to study while you're there. Patient presentation on a cool case after the exam. Columbia isn't known as a great city. Lots of college students around.
Overall, it was a solid learning experience and I would recommend it to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)

Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center

Required exam: SAEM Exam
Interview offered during rotation: Yes

Nice residents who definitely enjoyed eachother's company. Enjoyed working with most of the faculty, but did have one attending who was a huge pain to be with and I ended up with her on three separate shifts. Lots of 1-on-1 attending time. Decent didactics, very informal for the most part. Was told I would get an intubation if one came in during one of my shifts, but didn't get the chance. Otherwise, only did a few lac repairs and ultrasounds. Attendings are super into their SOAP format presentations that just jump into what you think we should do instead of giving too much background, which was difficult to adjust to at first, but is actually a much nicer way of doing things. Exam is SAEM. Grading is based on last year's students performance so you know what you need to do to get honors.

University of Oklahoma School of Community Medicine (Tulsa)

Yes

Twelve 8 hr shifts with option to pick up EMS ride alongs if you desire. Students present to residents and attendings depending on who is available. Good diversity of pathology but not trauma heavy at the main teaching hospital. Residents and faculty like to teach and are extremely easy to get along with. Guaranteed interview at the end of rotation that is laid back and given as a practice run for the rest of the interview trail to come. Didactics are a mix or resident ran with excellent lectures from home faculty and guest lectures from various specialties. ED is only a few years old and very nice to work in. ED staff is very friendly. Not many opportunities for procedures as they are strictly given to interns to meet their ACGME requirements. Overall great rotation with plenty of opportunities to work with both the PD and APD who were extremely courteous and accommodating to all students.

Posted by @fyiimdumb via SDN Away Rotation Review Google Form

University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Chattanooga

SLOE Experience: Sent SLOE considerably late
Yes

I had an amazing time here! The residents and attendings were incredibly nice. The volume was higher than expected as well as acuity. I felt like I learned a lot, and even on busy days I felt like they tried to speak in some teaching.

Posted by @AnonymousPlatypus via SDN Away Rotation Review Google Form

University of California San Francisco Fresno (UCSF Fresno)

SLOE Experience: Sent SLOE in a timely manner (crazy fast)
Yes

It was hectic and slightly confusing as to what your role was at first, but everyone was very helpful, the pathology was amazing, and everyone loved to teach. Also the SLOE was in within 7 days, CRAZY FAST.

Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals

Required exam: Written Exam made by clerkship director based off of textbook and information learned in didactics, also SIM practical exam.

Didactics very helpful. Friendly people. Beautiful facilities. Shifts split between two different pods: red pod runs traumas. Plenty of opportunities to suture, cast (pretty much every sprain/minor fracture we saw), femoral draws in trauma, etc. Great patient diversity. Feels like a community hospital with the university bonus. Residents are extremely competent and willing to teach during shift. I think shifts were 9+1 hours and ~15-17 shifts. Feedback given by attendings via online form and they have close to 100% response rate, although verbal feedback was unfortunately limited. Wish resident feedback had been considered as well as I worked more closely with residents on some shifts than I did an attending.

Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine

Required exam: In-house written exam.
Yes

Faculty and residents are all super engaging and willing to teach on shift. Students attend resident didactics once per week as well as one morning of didactics solely for rotating students. Also had one day of cadaver skills lab and one of sims. Not a ton of procedures (at least on my shifts, but maybe I'm a white cloud), but the residents are very willing to let students do any that do come up. Students work 13-14 10hr shifts over four weeks. Very much enjoyed my time here and truly felt respected and valued as a visiting student.

New York Presbyterian/Queens

Yes

11 shifts mostly 12s, mixture of resus, bread and butter, peds, urgent care. Paired with attendings, some will have you present directly to them, others will have you present to chief resident. High value placed on procedures, will have to do lines and blood draws for lots of your patients, always happy to get students involved in other procedures (ABGs, LPs). High volume community ED, did not write notes and most emphasis placed on seeing lots of patients (average 10-15/shift). Low trauma volume/acuity, but the patient population is generally very medically sick/complex with interesting pathology. Almost 50/50 English/non-English speaking, mostly Spanish, Mandarin, or Cantonese, but multiple iPad interpreters in each area. Residents and attendings were all super friendly and very laid back, though rarely time for teaching on shift. Very much a dive-right-in/learn-as-you-go attitude. Didactics were ok, some good lectures, so not so good lectures. Sim with residents was mostly observation which kinda sucked. Program is very new with lots of young faculty. Everyone there loves each other and places high value on the family aspect of their residency and residents wellness. Overall, good community experience, especially for a small new program.

New York Presbyterian Hospital

SLOE Experience: Does NOT provide SLOEs
Yes
Would you recommend this rotation to others: No

Compared to my other aways (midwest, west), this one was my least favorite. It's combined at Columbia and Cornell. I suppose it's a personal preference, but these EDs were not for me. Volume may be high, but acuity was often low. Columbia bills itself as having a county feel, but if you want to be in NYC you would be better off going to NYU or King's for an EM experience that's a little more exciting/trauma-heavy/not mostly patching up primary care problems. At Columbia in particular patients are often left in the halls clamoring for attention. Presbyterian hospital is an impressive name, but I don't think it emphasizes EM very much.

Maricopa Medical Center

Required exam: SAEM exam
Interview offered during rotation: No, but interview is guaranteed to rotators

Loved it. Shift schedule wasn't overwhelming (14 I believe), and the shifts themselves were great. Med students are really incorporated into the learning here: at 3pm everyday a low-stress tiny teaching point was presented by a med student which the residents are all into, had a small final presentation on an interesting new topic in EM (session was actually helpful/fun), excellent med-student focused didactics including sim. Good mix of cases including lots of zebras. Diverse patient population. EMS shift was fun (we actually did a mountain rescue! these are common in the summer). The residents are super chill and treated the subIs like real members of the team. Phoenix is underrated, and has lots of food, music, and outdoor activities at a reasonable price, if you can handle the heat.

Looking for new evaluations! Which programs gave great experiences/great SLOES this year? Which ones did not?

Reactions: 1 users
Looking for new evaluations! Which programs gave great experiences/great SLOES this year? Which ones did not?
A great SLOE is a reflection of a great applicant. A SLOE submitted in a timely manner is a reflection of an organized program. Most applicants will never know how strong their SLOE's were, although assumptions can be made based on the success of an interview season and often the grade they received from the rotation.

Which programs gave great experiences/great SLOES this year? Which ones did not?

I write great SLOEs, good SLOEs, average SLOEs, and bad SLOEs. That depends on the student, not on me. But they are all done in a batch after we have a committee meet to sort out the student rankings, and I write them all before ERAS opens to programs in mid September so everyone has their SLOE on day 1 it opens. Anyone rotating after that date gets their SLOE done promptly after their rotation is over. That's about all you can ask from a program.

Reactions: 4 users
I would look for places with ample clinical experiences (lots of opportunities to get comfortable and prove yourself) and one that guarantees an interview to you

I write great SLOEs, good SLOEs, average SLOEs, and bad SLOEs. That depends on the student, not on me. But they are all done in a batch after we have a committee meet to sort out the student rankings, and I write them all before ERAS opens to programs in mid September so everyone has their SLOE on day 1 it opens. Anyone rotating after that date gets their SLOE done promptly after their rotation is over. That's about all you can ask from a program.

gamerEMdoc: gentleman, scholar, making away rotations great again.

making away rotations great again.

"It's a very good rotation, some say the best rotation. Really excellent. Superb. The benefits are HUUUGE. Let's make away rotations great again."

I'm pretty sure that's a direct quote from our website.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks everyone for your comments. Starting to look into where to apply in the spring for auditions, so I am looking for specific (anonymous) feeback from recent rotators in line with the title of this thread

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

"It's a very good rotation, some say the best rotation. Really excellent. Superb. The benefits are HUUUGE. Let's make away rotations great again."

I'm pretty sure that's a direct quote from our website.

And today GamerEMDoc wins the internet.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Starting to look into where to apply in the spring for auditions, so I am looking for specific (anonymous) feeback from recent rotators in line with the title of this thread

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Look back through the last few pages of this thread. Any review dated Aug/Sep/Oct 2018 is likely from this most recent round of aways. There have been a number of them posted from that time period.

Several new reviews have been posted here (scroll down to the ones in italics near the bottom - those are the ones I haven't crossposted here yet): Official 2018-2019 Emergency Medicine Application and Interview Spreadsheet

I'll get around to posting them here with nice formatting...eventually...eek.

Happy belated Thanksgiving, SDN crew! Residency is great.
Thanks for compiling all of this! Any chance we can add a column (to the survery and excel) for the month and year of the away rotation that served as the basis of the review (unless all the reviews are from 2018)? For the places where there are multiple mixed reviews, would be great to see which is the most recent review!

Thanks for compiling all of this! Any chance we can add a column (to the survery and excel) for the month and year of the away rotation that served as the basis of the review (unless all the reviews are from 2018)? For the places where there are multiple mixed reviews, would be great to see which is the most recent review!
That would make the reviews too easily identifiable. They're already time-stamped based on when the reviewer posted them, so that should be good enough, no?

If anyone out there has any info on Carolinas, I’d really appreciate it.

Trying to decide if it’s worth it to take the risk of doing the away at a high-calliber program where my SLOE could suffer due to competition.

Rotated there and had a great time and got a top 1/3rd sloe. Was one of my first months in the ED and looking back I had no idea what I was doing but I worked hard and am personable. Was definitely worth it for me.

Has anyone done a rotation at the new program in Marrietta, GA -- Wellstar Kennestone? Would love to hear a review of it and if they give SLOEs being a new program.

Has anyone done a rotation at the new program in Marrietta, GA -- Wellstar Kennestone? Would love to hear a review of it and if they give SLOEs being a new program.

I have heard nothing but glowing reviews from other students on the trail about that program. Their website says they do write SLOEs.

Mount Sinai Medical Center of Florida

Required exam: Department written exam

10-12 shifts for the month + 1 ultrasound shift and 1 was at the free-standing ED. Optional EMS shift which I recommend. Miami Beach Fire is apparently famous. All shifts were 8 hours for students.

Dr. Edwards recently replaced Dr. Boge as the APD so we had much more interaction with Dr. Edwards who is super chill. Dr. Dalley (PD) is easily one of the nicest, most sincere people I have ever met. You can tell he truly cares about the residents and even the students. I worked with him 2-3 times and he somehow always knew me by name and took extra time to teach. And to be honest, most of the attendings did the same.

You work directly with either a 2nd or 3rd year and present patients to them but they try to get you in front of the PD/APD as much as possible. All of the residents are very good at what they do and super chill as well. I would say that the vibe is pretty academic bc there were rounds twice every day and both the residents/attendings were pretty serious about pimping you throughout the shift. Sounds stressful but I learned so much this month from it.

Didactics are once every week with 1 hour just for med students which were actually super helpful and not that basic airway **** every other place does. Didactics were fun and interactive. They are huge on Ultrasound. I went into this rotation with little to no US experience and left feeling very comfortable with just about every basic exam. They have a SIM lab where we did SIM encounters as well as procedure skills.

On shift, the residents are great about giving procedures to med students. I did a ton of suturing, joint drains and peripheral vein access with ultrasound. I also reduced 3 dislocated joints and did 1 central line. This is a busy ED that sees some really sick patients. There is a fast track where NPs/PAs see the less acute stuff so residents aren't bothered with it. It will absolutely help if you speak Spanish but I don't and was just fine. You also see a lot of international(European, South American) patients due to the location. I had never been to Miami Beach so my time off was a lot of fun. So much incredible food.

Overall, I went into this rotation with pretty low expectations and left very impressed. Everyone is really excited about the new ED they are building which should be done by early 2019.

This is a great program. I interviewed there and stayed in contact with Dr . Dalley even post-match. This is a hidden gem and I can vouch that Dr. Dalley cares about all of his residents.

This is a great program. I interviewed there and stayed in contact with Dr . Dalley even post-match. This is a hidden gem and I can vouch that Dr. Dalley cares about all of his residents.

Yea I’ve met a ton of residents from this program because they rotate through our trauma center for a month at a time. Each nicer than the last. It’s an old DO program but also the most established EM program in Miami - UM, Aventura, Kendall, and FAU have all sprung up relatively recently.

In contrast I rotated there and cancelled my interview. First and foremost, Dr. Dalley and Edwards are downright amazing. I liked all the faculty I met. As for the rotation, they take way too many students at a time. Upwards of 15-20 students can be on a rotation in a single month. There were times when there were 3-4 students sitting around waiting to see a patient. I doubt most of the residents even turned in thee nd of shift evals and I seriously wonder if they put anything useful, thus you'd have to be extremely lucky to work with Edwards who writes the sloes as his clinical hours are very very low. From a training standpoint, I thought the acuity was too low. It's essentially like a shop that only sees the lowest acuity of county population. There was also quite a bit of hand holding of residents and essentially just being told what to order.

Always good to see a dissenting view. I can confirm that Jackson Memorial/Ryder Trauma (across the bay) definitely gets the highest acuity stuff.

Let's be honest though its in Miami Beach so what do you expect?

That would be like putting an EM residency in Beverly Hills and thinking you'll see lots of STEMIs or DKAs on a daily basis.

Let's be honest though its in Miami Beach so what do you expect?

That would be like putting an EM residency in Beverly Hills and thinking you'll see lots of STEMIs or DKAs on a daily basis.

To be fair, Miami Beach, and South Beach in particular, used to be a pretty rough neighborhood. Not so much anymore though.

In contrast I rotated there and cancelled my interview. First and foremost, Dr. Dalley and Edwards are downright amazing. I liked all the faculty I met. As for the rotation, they take way too many students at a time. Upwards of 15-20 students can be on a rotation in a single month. There were times when there were 3-4 students sitting around waiting to see a patient. I doubt most of the residents even turned in thee nd of shift evals and I seriously wonder if they put anything useful, thus you'd have to be extremely lucky to work with Edwards who writes the sloes as his clinical hours are very very low. From a training standpoint, I thought the acuity was too low. It's essentially like a shop that only sees the lowest acuity of county population. There was also quite a bit of hand holding of residents and essentially just being told what to order.

I also rotated there and had the exact same experience. I didn't feel like the training there was nearly as strong as what I had seen on other audition rotations. Also, the fact that there is minimal orientation for the rotation was extremely frustrating. I rarely saw any high acuity patients (aside from a case of bacterial meningitis) and felt like some of the residents didn't have a clue as to what was going on. I don't think this is necessarily the resident's fault, though, as I don't believe they were given enough autonomy. Despite rotating there I deferred my interview invite because I knew I wouldn't rank them based off of my rotation experience alone.

Has anyone done or heard of anyone that did an away at either UVA or GWU? Haven't been able to find much online and I'm interested in the quality of SLOEs they write/grading/organization of the rotations.

Or VCU?^^ Will be applying soon for aways and any info would be appreciated!

Has anyone heard of or had experience doing a rotation with Kendall in Miami?

Anyone have info on LSU - New Orleans?

Last edited: