Where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so after going to my 4th interview that apparently went fantastic and yet resulted in a swift and emotionless rejection I think I'll be reapplying in June this year.

So I want some considerations on why I may have been considered in such a negative manner.

Volunteering Experience:
100 Hours Community Hospital
15 hours shadowing
50 hours Food warehouse
250 Work with Elderly Immigrants
1 Semester of Research in Psych
3 Months of Med Aid work

Stats:
Cgpa: 3.62, Sgpa: 3.62, BCPM: 3.68 ( Gpa went down and I ended up getting a C+ in Biochem my last sem).
Mcat: 26 ( 7ps,9vr, 10bs) - Yes, I know it sucks but I only studied about 2 weeks for it.

So where do I go from here? I'm pretty much going to be interning in a lab from now until the summer to increase my research experience and am considering retaking the MCAT/ Take Princeton Prep course. But what else should I be doing? I mean at this point I genuinely don't remember anything about Physics and am worried I'll only do worse if I retake.

Members don't see this ad.

Mcat: 26 ( 7ps,9vr, 10bs) - Yes, I know it sucks but I only studied about 2 weeks for it.
When you got that 26 you should have either not applied or closed your apps. Without question, your MCAT score is the problem. You'll see different results if and when you take the MCAT seriously.
am considering retaking the MCAT/ Take Princeton Prep course. But what else should I be doing? I mean at this point I genuinely don't remember anything about Physics and am worried I'll only do worse if I retake.
Sure, that's a rational fear, because half of MCAT retakes result in lower scores. The question is whether you want to go to med school or not. If you want to go to med school, then you need to go back and get reacquainted with physics. This is exactly what you're going to have to do with board exams if you end up in med school - it's a constant cycle of going back to relearn/review a seemingly infinite and impossible amount of content.

It's simple. If you want to go to med school, go after a decent MCAT score like your career depends on it. Because your career depends on it.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Indeed, it was one of my biggest mistakes. But as it stands I'm being killed inside by the fact that plenty of schools have interviewed me and in many cases they weren't all that bad interviews. So I mean unless they invited me just so they can find a redeeming quality it seems like I went on a giant goose chase. So at least for DO schools something else had to be haunting me somewhat...

Regardless, I think I'm going to take this as a chance to improve my mcat score. What should I really be aiming for to have a decent shot at staying on the East Coast and in consideration of my lower score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Indeed, it was one of my biggest mistakes. But as it stands I'm being killed inside by the fact that plenty of schools have interviewed me and in many cases they weren't all that bad interviews. So I mean unless they invited me just so they can find a redeeming quality it seems like I went on a giant goose chase. So at least for DO schools something else had to be haunting me somewhat...

Regardless, I think I'm going to take this as a chance to improve my mcat score. What should I really be aiming for to have a decent shot at staying on the East Coast and in consideration of my lower score?
Interviews don't carry that much weight in a final decision, except at a few schools like OHSU. My school counts a good interview as 5% of the total decision. I expect the schools that interviewed you were assuming you were working on an MCAT retake. These schools have many more qualified applicants than seats, and a good interview is not going to get the job done when your MCAT score says you'll have trouble with the constant unrelenting hours-long multiple choice exams in med school and beyond.

The MCAT score you should be trying for is the best score you can possibly get. You can do the homework to find out what the average matriculant MCAT score is at the schools you like.

Alright, how about this. How do you improve the area I'm having the most trouble in, i.e physics and general chemistry? I genuinely think my background in them is so weak after this much time that even a prep course save for a complete review of the material would save me.

I finished physics in 1988 and took the MCAT in 2006. That's about a 20 year gap. What I did: bought and studied review materials and worked a bazillion problems. I worked all 1001 of the Examkracker problems in the 1001 Problems books.

You can always retake the classes, either the normal way or by using Khan Academy or whatever.

If you want it, do whatever you have to do. If this is too much work for you, then find something else you want to do. Honestly, you need to have more enthusiasm for effective study of things you don't particularly like or remember, if you're going to pursue medicine. You don't get to choose what you have to know.

I finished physics in 1988 and took the MCAT in 2006. That's about a 20 year gap. What I did: bought and studied review materials and worked a bazillion problems. I worked all 1001 of the Examkracker problems in the 1001 Problems books.

You can always retake the classes, either the normal way or by using Khan Academy or whatever.

If you want it, do whatever you have to do. If this is too much work for you, then find something else you want to do. Honestly, you need to have more enthusiasm for effective study of things you don't particularly like or remember, if you're going to pursue medicine. You don't get to choose what you have to know.

True, well I think I'll try my best to make this happen. I wish I had just done it well the first time, oh well, maybe I gotta learn stuff the hard way.

Hmmm....just goes to show getting accepted is a big game of chance, I think. I was sure you'd get in somewhere. You have better stats than me!
Maybe get more shadow hours as well?? I don't know....I had over 80 hours of shadowing....

Still sucks....so have you heard from all the schools you interviewed at now??

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I don't understand why you haven't been accepted yet. While your MCAT isn't great it's right around the average for DO. Where did you apply?

At this point probably the best thing you could do to improve your app is to retake your MCAT and get a higher score (particularly in PS)

Also do some practice interviews, I think that is part of the problem since you did get plenty of interviews but no acceptances

When you got that 26 you should have either not applied or closed your apps.

I completely disagree. There are schools whose averages are less than 26. Shoot both me and Eremba were accepted with less than a 26. It's not great but it is hardly a death sentence

Your 15 hours of jobshadow experience seems low. My state school (MD) requires a minimum of 40 hours. Try and get more clinical exposure.

If you retake the MCAT make sure you are scoring where you want to before the test. Don't force it.

I completely disagree. There are schools whose averages are less than 26. Shoot both me and Eremba were accepted with less than a 26. It's not great but it is hardly a death sentence
Report back when you get your Step 1 or COMLEX score. There's more to med school than getting in.

Report back when you get your Step 1 or COMLEX score. There's more to med school than getting in.

Sure. I just have a hard time believing that significant number of people who score below a 26 have a hard time in med school or boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I don't understand why you haven't been accepted yet. While your MCAT isn't great it's right around the average for DO. Where did you apply?

At this point probably the best thing you could do to improve your app is to retake your MCAT and get a higher score (particularly in PS)

Also do some practice interviews, I think that is part of the problem since you did get plenty of interviews but no acceptances

Who even knows at this point. I legit left Touro-NV thinking/borderline knowing that I would probably be going here after the interview. But evidently it wasn't meant to be.
And yah, my plan at this point is to retake the mcat, get another 20 hours of shadowing in, and add some extra research experience. But honestly, I'm just tired of jumping through hoops, I've been doing it for almost 4 years now and for my app to be downgrades simply because I didn't do file work for a doctor is absurd, though more absurd is being told that after having 500+ hours of volunteering that you need more by some schools that genuinely couldn't even explain why you weren't accepted.

And admittedly, I actually interviewed quite well at Marian & Touro-NV. KCUMB was a bit of an oddity because I was a bit too casual evidently, and SOMA just was a giant mismatch and a waste of my time.

Oh well, moving on from here I've got about 5 schools that I could potentially still hear back from. So here's to getting some love in the next few weeks...

I'm pretty sure the pass difference between a 26 & a 32 or higher is like 5%. That's not really inviting doom and gloom in my eyes. But regardless, I'll take this post as encouragement for a retake for admissions purposes.

This sounds like a good plan. What feedback did you get from the schools that rejected you? You need more volunteer hours and were too casual? That's odd IMO

I think you problem is in your interviewing. I would call and get some feedback to see if there is something in common. Also you should do some practice interviews or record yourself using questions found in the Interview feedback section of this site. For your MCAT do plenty of practice problems and exams under test conditions. I would check out Chad's videos (Google it) for your weak areas as well as Kahn's Academy. You might want to call around and see if you can find a scribe position in your local ER. Lots of opportunity to shadow while getting paid. For me there was the added bonus of having to different Physicians who are/were clinical faculty for nearby medical schools read my PS and write me LORs. Good luck.

This sounds like a good plan. What feedback did you get from the schools that rejected you? You need more volunteer hours and were too casual? That's odd IMO

Well SOMA said I wasn't a good match for their mission and that I should get more experience working in underserved areas despite me working exclusively in that area.
KCUMB was essentially try to be more direct and concise which was impossible since the interview was borderline conversational.
And Touro I'll ask in April.

Who knows honestly. All I can say is I don't mind losing out on a year. I made a few mistakes and instead of applying a bit lower tier I went too high.
Oh well, we will see maybe I'll get off Marian's waitlist.

Think about residency.

Well not that me retaking will somehow cause a plastic change in my mind that will make me more open to step 1 universal knowledgedness. But again, acknowledged, I'll retake so I can get into a good school.

This. OP, I highly doubt your MCAT score is the reason you've been unsuccessful this cycle. My cousin applied to both MD and DO schools this cycle with 10PS/6VR/10BS ~3.6c/3.5s, and he is currently sitting on 8 acceptances (7 DO, 1 MD). In my opinion, considering that you received 4 II's, you need to critically assess your interviewing skills. Retaking the MCAT would be a risk that is not worth taking when your interviewing skills are clearly the problem.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree, it may have to do something with your ability to interview. The fact that you're getting a interview at all from a school means that they believe that you are academically adequate enough for their program. They don't want to waste your time or theirs interviewing, especially since you already handed them your money.

This. OP, I highly doubt your MCAT score is the reason you've been unsuccessful this cycle. My cousin applied to both MD and DO schools this cycle with 10PS/6VR/10BS ~3.6c/3.5s, and he is currently sitting on 8 acceptances (7 DO, 1 MD). In my opinion, considering that you received 4 II's, you need to critically assess your interviewing skills. Retaking the MCAT would be a risk that is not worth taking when your interviewing skills are clearly the problem.

I mean 2 interviews I know I more or less bombed. The other two I actually pulled off well, I got a 2nd quarter waitlist at one. And the other an outright reject and I genuinely want to know what I did wrong as I think it bordered on the absurd.

Why don't you directly ask Goro?

btw, your MCAT retake should have lots of upside.

Last edited:

This is interesting, I've heard about supposed correlations but, I've never seen any data and these seem to indicate it isn't true. The first two examples cite the biological sciences section score as predictive, not the MCAT score itself, a vital distinction. The third doesn't discuss failure or low scores at all, they simple reach the conclusion that an average MCAT score can be predictive for a students board scores.

Your MCAT score is low. Not marginal, not OK, low. You can fix that.
You have comically low amount of shadowing. You could get that much in one call shift following anyone. One day. Shadowing is a pain, but it shows that you've taken the time to get an idea of what the life of a physician is all about. Follow a few physicians of different specialties around for a couple days and get that number up to 50-100h. More than that is unnecessary.
You don't appear to have any leadership or research experience. Not a death sentence, but it would be nice. Physicians have to be leaders, able to make decisions, communicate with others in a team. Leadership experience suggests that you can do this. Research work shows you understand scientific method, can probably read literature, etc.
Do you have a long term service or volunteer commitment anywhere, if not, start now.
Finally, you probably don't interview well. I've given interviews that I think went poorly, I'm sure the applicant thinks they were fine. I'm not going to beat a dead horse when you're struggling to answer things I think are important or are spoon feeding me canned answers. I just move on and start thinking about the next guy.

Hmm, so the 3 papers I found in 15 seconds by pubmedding "MCAT USMLE" in response to "there's no data" are getting a "nuh uh". This must be SDN.

Surely those with low MCAT scores can take comfort in the strength of the debunking of those 3 links instead of making the best plan for success in med school and having as many choices as possible come time for residency apps. Just passing Step 1 isn't enough to give you choices.

But let's be honest: a strategy for going to med school that includes both "DO's can do anything" and "I don't need to break 30 on the MCAT" is completely delusional.

Now, if you want to go after a career like cabinbuilder, who is doctoring in a very pure sense, traveling as a GP, then no, you don't need to worry much about scores.

But with a 26 and an acceptance to a brand new DO school that needs to fill seats, good lord don't be thinking about ortho etc.

Your MCAT score is low. Not marginal, not OK, low. You can fix that.
You have comically low amount of shadowing. You could get that much in one call shift following anyone. One day. Shadowing is a pain, but it shows that you've taken the time to get an idea of what the life of a physician is all about. Follow a few physicians of different specialties around for a couple days and get that number up to 50-100h. More than that is unnecessary.
You don't appear to have any leadership or research experience. Not a death sentence, but it would be nice. Physicians have to be leaders, able to make decisions, communicate with others in a team. Leadership experience suggests that you can do this. Research work shows you understand scientific method, can probably read literature, etc.
Do you have a long term service or volunteer commitment anywhere, if not, start now.
Finally, you probably don't interview well. I've given interviews that I think went poorly, I'm sure the applicant thinks they were fine. I'm not going to beat a dead horse when you're struggling to answer things I think are important or are spoon feeding me canned answers. I just move on and start thinking about the next guy.

Actually I was president of an academic club for a year, I forgot to include that. And sure, I guess I'll try to shadow another doctor, but 15 hours honestly was a week of shadowing. So yah, I going to be adding more research time, more shadowing, and hopefully an extra 4 points to my mcat at the very least.

I glanced through the previous responses, I may repeat what previous posters have suggested. I think your mcat is ok, you could certainly benefit from a higher score, but that energy and time might be best invested in getting more volunteer and specially shadowing hours. Your stats seem fine for many programs, and you got several interviews; sit down and analyze, with detail, your strengths and weaknesses at the time of interviewing, and practice accordingly. You could also call the schools you have heard from and ask them for specific feedback. You are an avid poster and offer good advice, I'm sure you will develop a fine strategy going forward. Best of lucks.

A lot of good things have been said; in general, if you've had 4 invites and no acceptances, I'd say you have to consider that your interviews are holding you back in some way. That being said, you would be expected to be improving your application in some way before next cycle, and the MCAT seems to be the most obvious way to start. I'd say assess your interview weaknesses and work to improve your academic credentials to get more invites next cycle.

Which DO, and which MD? The people in that range on pre-osteo have been successful but I don't think I've seen any with 8 acceptances let alone an MD one!

A lot of good things have been said; in general, if you've had 4 invites and no acceptances, I'd say you have to consider that your interviews are holding you back in some way. That being said, you would be expected to be improving your application in some way before next cycle, and the MCAT seems to be the most obvious way to start. I'd say assess your interview weaknesses and work to improve your academic credentials to get more invites next cycle.

This is good, grounded in reality, point. Once you have been given an interview, the spot is yours to lose. So, your focus must be interview skills and/or confidence. But, they will expect to see something else tangible in your application, MCATs the clearest, and volunteer hours or shadowing are the least painful.

If you improve your MCAT score, you should be able to both improve your application and justify what you did with much of your time between cycles. Get TBR chemistry, TBR physics, EK bio, and EK organic chem. Study them all cover to cover, even the stuff you think you know, and do every single practice question. Once you finish, take all of the official AAMC practice exams to get a feel for what your new score will be. They are highly predictive of actual scores. If your results are looking significantly better than your first MCAT, retake. If they are similar, don't risk it. Sit down with an honest friend and have them ask you some interview questions and then give you feedback. The biggest problem I feel like many premeds had when we would do mock interviews with one another was not having answers that sounded genuine. They sounded rehearsed, or almost forced much of the time. I don't know if this is your problem, but given the feedback of one of your interviewers about not being direct, I suspect it might be the case. Try and really find passionate answers to the common interview questions, get to the heart of your real motivation to become a physician. People who aren't in touch with their motivations tend to give meandering Miss America type answers that are long and sound half-canned, i.e. "I have wanted to help people for as long as I can remember and blah blah blah."

A retake and some interview practice will get you far, throw in some volunteer hours and extra shadowing and you'll be set.

solely looking at your statistics, it looks like your problem lies within your interview. from your other postings, it seems that you may be a bit skeptical of OMM and the AOA. it goes without saying that any slight indication of this skepticism--even the most subtle--toward your interviewer will be a huge mark against you.

solely looking at your statistics, it looks like your problem lies within your interview. from your other postings, it seems that you may be a bit skeptical of OMM and the AOA. it goes without saying that any slight indication of this skepticism--even the most subtle--toward your interviewer will be a huge mark against you.

Meh, I feel like I've come up with a solid explanation that puts OMM into a positive light.
Oh well, next interview I'm going to not be cordial and utterly obnoxious to the point of asserting that my interviewer in 10 years will be begging to be a 3rd author on my research papers and interning in my clinic so he can be as good as me.

I mean really I feel like that's what they want me to say. Obviously being cordial and respectful has been ineffective and honestly coming half way across the country for a 20 minute interview that is largely impersonal and almost entirely a review of what I've written on my primary is jackassary.

Which DO, and which MD? The people in that range on pre-osteo have been successful but I don't think I've seen any with 8 acceptances let alone an MD one!

The MD school is Cooper Rowan in Jersey. I had to ask him about the DO schools because I couldn't remember 'em all haha. It was Nova, KCOM, Touro-NY, DMU, VCOM, RowanSOM, WesternU.

The MD school is Cooper Rowan in Jersey. I had to ask him about the DO schools because I couldn't remember 'em all haha. It was Nova, KCOM, Touro-NY, DMU, VCOM, RowanSOM, WesternU.
He must have had outstanding EC's and interviewing skills to get into cooper plus several DO schools (like touro-ny, which is obsessed with high mcat scores) with 3.6/3.5/26. Definitely not a typical example.

This is interesting, I've heard about supposed correlations but, I've never seen any data and these seem to indicate it isn't true. The first two examples cite the biological sciences section score as predictive, not the MCAT score itself, a vital distinction. The third doesn't discuss failure or low scores at all, they simple reach the conclusion that an average MCAT score can be predictive for a students board scores.

This is the same conclusion I also came to. What I would really like to see is the board scores broken down into 10s (190, 200, 210 etc.) and those scores compared to their respective MCAT scores (ex. step I score 210 (MCAT range 26-30), 220 (MCAT range 28-31)). Then I would feel the data is more solid.

Just to back DrMidLife, there is a correlation with low MCAT scores and passing or failing the boards
http://www.stfm.org/fmhub/fm2010/february/jira105.pdf

Basically 24 or below is in danger of failing and 28+ is a strong predictor that you will pass according to the chart. I believe there is little statistical evidence if a 38+ will lead to a equally high USMLE because they are very different tests and the whole correlation vs. causation thing. However, my med school friend says his school (USF) emphasizes how board scores are much more strongly correlated with how you do in your preclinical years.

Anyways, I would wait this cycle and see if the wait lists end up turning into an acceptance, but as said on here, I would strongly urge you to start studying for the MCAT and registering a date since it seems like the MCAT dates and places available are dwindling.

Is he a NJ resident or URM?

He must have had outstanding EC's and interviewing skills to get into cooper plus several DO schools (like touro-ny, which is obsessed with high mcat scores) with 3.6/3.5/26. Definitely not a typical example.

As far as I know, his EC's are pretty average (no pubs or anything outstanding like that). He's pretty personable, though, so I'm sure his interviewing skills are above average.

Neither...although, he does have some weak ties to NJ.

Wow...hes very lucky then..I have the same sgpa but a slightly higher MCAT and I didn't even get an interview..and I do have a pub..then again I didn't submit a little late

I know a bunch of people have already commented, but anyway. Considering you got 4 interviews, I would definitely do some self-reflection on why they clearly didn't go as well as you thought. It seems you think your answers are solid and positive, but it may be that they're too rehearsed, and that your interviewers couldn't get a sense of "you". I'm going based off what I've heard, but the general rule of thumb is 3+ interviews should garner 1+ acceptances - if not, it's the you in person, not the you on paper, that's holding you back. I watched a few youtube videos (mostly to see the time-length of answers, body language, etc and adjust my own accordingly) and answered a lot of questions to prepare for my interviews - I used http://dept.lamar.edu/biology/preprofessional/medical school interview 71404.htm as a one resource of many - I think the MSAR 2012 also has a list of commonly asked questions, if I recall correctly - not sure if the 2013 version does as well. Only make notes when preparing the questions - jot down the basic idea so when you're in the interview it sounds more conversational, and try to give 1-3 personal examples in order to back up your answer, which helps address that "you"ness that may be missing on the interviewers' end. Also, you mentioned being respectful and cordial in your interviews - that's definitely important, but maybe don't be afraid to let your 'natural' personality show as well. Not saying the two aren't natural to you (or really to anyone interviewing, one would hope aspiring physicians are), but I was a tiny bit sarcastic and goofy at times during my interview once things got underway and the timing seemed right, and 5/6 of my interviewers laughed and were even friendlier afterwards (the 1/6 was just a bust going into it, so I didn't even bother) - I still was respectful, of course, but I'm not a perfectly calm and collected person and didn't feel the need to portray myself as such. Being more 'myself' definitely helped me make a stronger connection with my interviewers and made the general atmosphere of the interview less formal and stressful.

That being said, your MCAT score isn't doing you any favors either when combined with an okay GPA (going based off what my pre-med advisor said when she saw my 3.6cGPA, which was "eh, it's okay, but at least you did well on the MCAT"). A 26 total may be fine for DO school, but a 7 is quite low, especially for a science section. I know you're applying DO, but most MD schools view 8 as the cutoff score, so that's generally the standard you want to reach regardless of which you apply to since many DOs seem to be trying to increase how competitive they are. As others said above me, studying for the MCAT has the nice bonus of showing interviewers next cycle how you spent a portion of your time off. Personally, I found the Kaplan Online Science Review to be a godsend - I spent a solid 10-12hr/day for 1.5 months using that review when I retook the MCAT. I'm pretty terrible at physics and general/organic chemistry, but the review laid out all the concepts in a format that was easier to understand and had tons of questions available, including full test sections.

Finally, it wouldn't hurt to increase your clinical experience. It doesn't necessarily have to be shadowing, just anything that puts you in direct contact with patients (as opposed to people in general, which it seems a significant portion of your ECs involve - I'm thinking that may be playing a factor in final decisions if your interview answers aren't coming off as strongly as you'd like).

Sorry for rambling... it's never a fun feeling wondering what went wrong, so hopefully you have gotten/will get some advice from somewhere on this thread that works for you. Also, maybe there're still more IIs coming your way later this application cycle? There's still time! If so you can still prepare more effectively for those by figuring out what may have gone wrong on the others.

Good luck!!!

Hmm, so the 3 papers I found in 15 seconds by pubmedding "MCAT USMLE" in response to "there's no data" are getting a "nuh uh". This must be SDN.

Surely those with low MCAT scores can take comfort in the strength of the debunking of those 3 links instead of making the best plan for success in med school and having as many choices as possible come time for residency apps. Just passing Step 1 isn't enough to give you choices.

But let's be honest: a strategy for going to med school that includes both "DO's can do anything" and "I don't need to break 30 on the MCAT" is completely delusional.

Now, if you want to go after a career like cabinbuilder, who is doctoring in a very pure sense, traveling as a GP, then no, you don't need to worry much about scores.

But with a 26 and an acceptance to a brand new DO school that needs to fill seats, good lord don't be thinking about ortho etc.
This is ridiculous. You are a physician and you basically Google three studies that you didn't bother to read? Sorry, but your over 30 mcat isn't showing by such poor research ability and a need to be right. Thousands of DOs in specialties exist and not all of them got over a 30.

Facepalm. Let me try this again.

DON'T SETTLE FOR A LOW MCAT JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH IT. Getting into med school is not the only important part of med school.

I am not publishing a study on outcomes. I am trying to coach premeds to make rational choices and avoid bad consequences. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why people are so damn defensive about their 24's and their 26's. The MCAT is not a burrito punch card.

People, even some physicians, are pretty happy to coast. Not me. I want to be the best, do the best that I can, be the guy they come to for advice on difficult cases. I set 5 and 10 year goals and work to achieve them. I don't get coasting either.

Last edited:
It's really hard to compare applicants. I know people who got into UCLA with a 26 MCAT. There are plenty of people that were rejected with 34+.

Dr. Midlife is suggesting one of many possible improvements that OP could work towards, which is what OP originally asked for. A 26 MCAT can be improved. Whether or not OP wants to follow this decision is up to him/her.