Where do I stand and what do I need to work on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allcle4r

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
More patient contact clinical experience; 80 hrs is nowhere near enough.

Current a first-semester sophomore. I'm aiming for low-mid tiers.

3.8 s/cGPA (might go down unfortunately but hopefully at least 3.6 by graduation)
One year biophysics research, publication pending
One summer cell & developmental biology research at home institution (no publication, might get a recommendation)
50 hours shadowing primary care doctor
80 hours outpatient setting volunteering by end of semester, 50 of those hours with direct patient care
Helped organize and gave workshops for middle and high school students on the meaning of public & international service
Exec board position of large on-campus organization, involved with social entrepreneurship ventures generating several thousand $'s in revenue
Tutoring creative writing for men at homeless shelter
Presented idea at institution's social entrepreneurship competition last year

Things I'm hoping to add this year:
- More nonmedical community service; tutoring middle and high school aged kids, continuing with tutoring homeless men
- Possibly tutoring genetics and molecular biology?
- Shadowing ophthalmologists and radiologists; more substantial shadowing experience (e.g. summer surgery program or something?)
- Public health research on primary care? Possibly apply for grant funding this summer
- More substantial leadership experience (would really like help with what sorts of things to look for here)

I know the sophomore year is really crucial for building up EC's and I haven't done much yet this year. I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!

More patient contact clinical experience; 80 hrs is nowhere near enough.

Would you say that's the main thing I need to focus on? I'm not really sure how to get more patient contact as an undergrad outside of hospital volunteering. Possibly do some clinical research?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are well ahead of the game considering all you've accomplished your freshman year. Rather than adding more disconnected activies, and compromising your excellent cGPA, pull back and add quality to what you've already done, like taking on a leadership role at the men's shelter and helping other educational efforts to grow there. Longevity in activities counts. Settle on one research venue and stick with it for the next two years for the sake of an excellent PI letter, more responsibility and creative control, and a shot at top research schools (if that's what you want).

Be sure to include an office-based primary care doc in yiour shadowing.

Clinical research is a fine way to add to clinical experience, provided the people you work with are patients. You can also gain exposure to sick people through work or volunteering at hospitals, clinics, skilled-level nursing homes, rehab centers, hospice, etc. Again: longevity counts. The average applicant has 1.5 year and 150 hours of active clinical experience (not necessarily all at one place) and 50 total hours of shadowing.

You are well ahead of the game considering all you've accomplished your freshman year. Rather than adding more disconnected activies, and compromising your excellent cGPA, pull back and add quality to what you've already done, like taking on a leadership role at the men's shelter and helping other educational efforts to grow there. Longevity in activities counts. Settle on one research venue and stick with it for the next two years for the sake of an excellent PI letter, more responsibility and creative control, and a shot at top research schools (if that's what you want).

Be sure to include an office-based primary care doc in yiour shadowing.

Clinical research is a fine way to add to clinical experience, provided the people you work with are patients. You can also gain exposure to sick people through work or volunteering at hospitals, clinics, skilled-level nursing homes, rehab centers, hospice, etc. Again: longevity counts. The average applicant has 1.5 year and 150 hours of active clinical experience (not necessarily all at one place) and 50 total hours of shadowing.

Thanks so much for your response. I'll try to take on a leadership role with the men's shelter. I'll also try to diversify to other venues of nonmedical volunteering and stick to them for the next two years.

As for the clinical experience, I'm applying to a paid position as a "student research assistant." It seems to be more administrator than researcher: "As a research assistant, the student’s role is to recruit eligible patients to participate in any of the active studies we have. In addition to recruiting participants, the student research assistant will update the database with new participant information and follow-up patients via medical records. The student research assistant will also provide administrative assistance with creating patient charts, filing, follow-up phone calls/mailings etc. as needed."

Does it sound like a worthwhile experience?

I'm looking for a new research lab to join and stick with. It will be some kind of medical research that directly involves patient interaction, hopefully. I don't think I'll do straight biology research any more.

And yes, I shadowed an internist at his private practice--that counts, right?

Not trying to flatter you but why would anyone this early in the game settle for a mid tier program? I would suggest you aim for the top and then settle for mid tier if you have to.

I'm applying to a paid position as a "student research assistant." It seems to be more administrator than researcher: "As a research assistant, the student’s role is to recruit eligible patients to participate in any of the active studies we have. In addition to recruiting participants, the student research assistant will update the database with new participant information and follow-up patients via medical records. The student research assistant will also provide administrative assistance with creating patient charts, filing, follow-up phone calls/mailings etc. as needed."

1) Does it sound like a worthwhile experience?

I'm looking for a new research lab to join and stick with. It will be some kind of medical research that directly involves patient interaction, hopefully. I don't think I'll do straight biology research any more.

2) I shadowed an internist at his private practice--that counts, right?
1) You might not have much face-to-face patient interaction depending on how you recruit subjects (via email or phone calls, vs in-person interview while hanging around the ER or an office). What do you think is required?

I don't see that you'd have a creative research role, since you'll be following an already-designed protocol, however you're not aiming for top research school, so that's less of an issue. But it would entail responsibility and perhaps teamwork. And it is a research activity. And you get paid.

It sounds pretty time consuming. can you do this and still keep a high GPA/other activities? Whether it's worthwhile depends on what you want to get out of it.

2) Perfect!