Where do I stand with regard to specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to be a dick and high jack your thread:

What about a 251 on step 1 and top 20% of class?

What's the likelihood of matching:

Gas
IM (followed by heme/onc)
Path
Diag Rad (likely enough to even apply?)
Rad Onc (even possible?)

I realize my score is fine and if I were an MD I wouldn't be asking this question.

Gas- high
IM- high to a very solid program
Diag rad- very good
Rad onc- difficult unless you have a ton of Rad onc research

Members don't see this ad.

Allopathic neurosurgery is within your reach, too. The residency director at a competitive neurosurgery residency said 230 or above is qualified even for a DO

This is pathetic. I'm not about to give a rah rah speech, but why are people always saying under their breath, "I'm a D.O. ....can I get into rad onc, neurosurgery, rads, or derm? Come on guys. Push some boundaries. Get to know connected people--that sounds terrible but it's true. Do some meaningful research at a research-oriented institution (i.e. Hopkins, UTSW, UCSF, Yale, Harvard). E-mail those residency directors and get to know them. Rotate there. Do decently well on usmle and comlex, 230, 580, respectively. Get yourself composed and kick ass MS3 and MS4. You don't have to apologize because you're a D.O. I'm sorry if I took this too far, however, ANYONE can get in anywhere they want if they put in 100% effort and know people. If the residency will not accept DOs then screw them. Move on. My .02 cents :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
This is pathetic. I'm not about to give a rah rah speech, but why are people always saying under their breath, "I'm a D.O. ....can I get into rad onc, neurosurgery, rads, or derm? Come on guys. Push some boundaries. Get to know connected people--that sounds terrible but it's true. Do some meaningful research at a research-oriented institution (i.e. Hopkins, UTSW, UCSF, Yale, Harvard). E-mail those residency directors and get to know them. Rotate there. Do decently well on usmle and comlex, 230, 580, respectively. Get yourself composed and kick ass MS3 and MS4. You don't have to apologize because you're a D.O. I'm sorry if I took this too far, however, ANYONE can get in anywhere they want if they put in 100% effort and know people. If the residency will not accept DOs then screw them. Move on. My .02 cents :rolleyes:

:thumbup::thumbup:

There are limits to this.

As I said before, the can-do attitude is great etc. However, as we cited before in this thread...you're not going to be competitive for every program in every specialty with a 237, never mind a 230.

There is a greater bias between DOs and MDs than I initially thought. It kind of sucks.

There is a greater bias between DOs and MDs than I initially thought. It kind of sucks.

My allo friends tell me many MDs from the "lower-tier" schools are in the same boat. It's board scores + LORs. So it's very much dog-eat-dog and who-you-know in the MD world for these slots.

I'm sorry if I took this too far, however, ANYONE can get in anywhere they want if they put in 100% effort and know people.

This is a great attitude, however one has to be realistic. Not everyone can get in to anywhere they want. In fact, that is far from the truth in my opinion. Many programs will not be taking a DO in the near or foreseeable future. Many other programs have unreasonable expectations. As a DO you've gotta work hard, stay focused, and do your best with the cards you are dealt; this will open a lot of doors and you can do some great things..but you cannot expect to have a real shot at every program you would want to match at.

That being said, I'm all for shooting for the stars and pushing boundaries. You just have to know that some things are out of our hands as things sit right now.