Where do I stand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehsu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2.4 Cumulative ugrad GPA
2.2 Science ugrad GPA
Graduated 2008

Took 3 years off. Worked as an ER Tech/EMT full time for 2 of them. I'm currently in a SMP finishing a 3rd semester.

Current numbers here are :
3.9 gpa
9-9-9 MCAT
Research, ER tech job, tutoring, volunteering, club leadership are all on board starting last year up till now. ( moved state so I couldn't continue my old work )

I've applied to 62 schools, Received 50 Secondaries. Rejected from 8 so far. (Majority rejections are DOs. I applied MD and DO. Only secondaries I haven't received are UCs and Im not holding my breath for those.

Question is, how should I interpret how my GPA stacks up with others who are just out of undergrad? Think I can relax for a bit now or should I still be busting my butt on finding other things to boost my stats.

Members don't see this ad.

You applied to 62 schools...

???

You'll get in somewhere...

You applied to 62 schools...

???

You'll get in somewhere...

I wasted a year before my SMP not applying broadly enough. I didn't have a very good gauge of how schools calculate a graduate GPA so I just applied everywhere. Definitely many surprises along the way on what schools were giving me a look.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasted a year before my SMP not applying broadly enough. I didn't have a very good gauge of how schools calculate a graduate GPA so I just applied everywhere. Definitely many surprises along the way on what schools were giving me a look.
If I am interpreting this correctly, you are a re-applicant finishing an SMP with a cumulative gpa of 2.4 and an MCAT of 27 with excellent EC's. I doubt you will have success in CA but a review of the MSAR should reveal around 30 schools where you have a shot. If you are a fluent Spanish speaker you may also consider the Puerto Rican schools.

If I am interpreting this correctly, you are a re-applicant finishing an SMP with a cumulative gpa of 2.4 and an MCAT of 27 with excellent EC's. I doubt you will have success in CA but a review of the MSAR should reveal around 30 schools where you have a shot. If you are a fluent Spanish speaker you may also consider the Puerto Rican schools.

Sorry the wording was a little confusing. my undergrad GPA is a 2.4 Grad is a 3.9 with 30 units finished. I have a 3 year break inbetween undergrad and grad schoolwork. How should I interpret the mean GPA? I fall pretty much 1 GPA point under most averages, even ones that tell me that they will give me a good look because of my graduate schoolwork.

Sorry the wording was a little confusing. my undergrad GPA is a 2.4 Grad is a 3.9 with 30 units finished. I have a 3 year break inbetween undergrad and grad schoolwork. How should I interpret the mean GPA? I fall pretty much 1 GPA point under most averages, even ones that tell me that they will give me a good look because of my graduate schoolwork.

Graduate GPA is not factored into undergrad GPA. Schools will see your undergrad GPA as 2.4, which is very low for MD and DO, and then see a grad GPA of 3.9, which most schools do not give all that much weight to unfortunately.

All I can say is you have a rough uphill battle and may actually be best to look into a post-bacc and do grade replacement with DO schools. Meaning go back and knockout some of those F's and D's with A's and B's and bring that GPA pretty quick. Any GPA that starts with a 2 sticks out when reviewing apps quickly, but a 3 will blend in a little more, even if its 3.0 and may get a more throughout review instead of an auto reject.

See this thread for a little more detail: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=882597

Dapi is right. The AMCAS page with your gpa will be 2.4. Your graduate gpa will be given separately and the method by which this is intrepreted varies by school and by committee member.